Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
LS Swap Everything!
26,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have never heard of this "holiday" before, but a friend of mine works for the state, doing disability claims and she has today off for Confederate Memorial Day.

Wiki said:
History of Confederate Memorial Day

"Taken from the US Dept. of Veteran Affairs"

Three years after the Civil War ended, on May 5, 1868, the head of an organization of Union veterans — the Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) — established Decoration Day as a time for the nation to decorate the graves of the war dead with flowers. Maj. Gen. John A. Logan declared that Decoration Day should be observed on May 30. It is believed that date was chosen because flowers would be in bloom all over the country.

The first large observance was held that year at Arlington National Cemetery, across the Potomac River from Washington, D.C.

The ceremonies centered around the mourning-draped veranda of the Arlington mansion, once the home of Gen. Robert E. Lee. Various Washington officials, including Gen. and Mrs. Ulysses S. Grant, presided over the ceremonies. After speeches, children from the Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Orphan Home and members of the GAR made their way through the cemetery, strewing flowers on both Union and Confederate graves, reciting prayers and singing hymns.

Local Observances Claim To Be First. Local springtime tributes to the Civil War dead already had been held in various places. One of the first occurred in Columbus, Miss., April 25, 1866, when a group of women visited a cemetery to decorate the graves of Confederate soldiers who had fallen in battle at Shiloh. Nearby were the graves of Union soldiers, which were neglected because they were the enemy. Disturbed at the sight of the bare graves, the women placed some of their flowers on those graves, as well.

Today, cities in the North and the South claim to be the birthplace of Memorial Day in 1866. Both Macon and Columbus, Ga., claim the title, as well as Richmond, Va. The village of Boalsburg, Pa., claims it began there two years earlier. A stone in a Carbondale, Ill., cemetery carries the statement that the first Decoration Day ceremony took place there on April 29, 1866. Carbondale was the wartime home of Gen. Logan. Approximately 25 places have been named in connection with the origin of Memorial Day, many of them in the South where most of the war dead were buried.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederate_Memorial_Day

Mississippi State government's site

So, enjoy the rest of your day with a cold beer, and don't forget to fly your Stars & Bars!

:rebelflag:rebelflag:rebelflag:rebelflag:rebelflag:rebelflag

·
Biebs Ain't BabyDaddy!
11,159 Posts
:rebelflag:

·
U jelly of my
3,204 Posts
and the north will just bitch slap them back down again. :goodfinge
their was a whole debate on svtperformance about what would happen if the country split in two again

that was pretty much a civil war of a thread i tell you what :doh0715:

·
Nvr Been Bnnd
8,675,444 Posts
i knew I got drunk for a reason!! born camp lejuene N.C.

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,252 Posts
"Any place below the Dixon line, Alabama or Tenessee sure enough look good to me"
I only live in Indianoplace,In because I haven't moved out of state yet.

·
Back in Action
6,590 Posts
and the north will just bitch slap them back down again. :goodfinge
Welllllll, if you wanna get technical. By the numbers the South completly destroyed the North.

North South
Strength: Strength:
2,100,000 1,064,000

KIA: KIA:
110,000 93,000

Total Dead: Total Dead:
360,000 260,000

Wounded: Wounded:
275,000 137,000

If the North wasn't able to make the South run out of money it woulda been a different story.

Wiki source
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Civil_War

·
LS Swap Everything!
26,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Paul, considering that there are more guns in the south (I'm basing this off the rules and regulations of the northern states when it comes to the 2nd amendment) I'm pretty sure we'd beat the shit out of the north if they tried bitch slapping us.

Now I'm in no way starting a debate here... but numbers to numbers, the north east cannot compare to the sheer firepower of the central south. And as for Illinois, well they're just fawked :rofl:

Anyway, hope you guys enjoyed the holiday :beer

·
Registered
273 Posts
I live in SC, we've got BMW, Boeing, and many other Northern manufacturing plants and businesses heading our way. We are taking over! :rebelflag

·
Registered
238 Posts
Annnnnnnnddddddddd

we're off!!!

:popc1:

·
Premium Member
6,781 Posts
If your from Southern california and live in a place called "Fontucky" can you still celebrate for the "south" :thumbup
Yea, no doubt. I live in or used to back in the day in a hill billy town and loved it. Now, it is a "city":barf

Paul, considering that there are more guns in the south (I'm basing this off the rules and regulations of the northern states when it comes to the 2nd amendment) I'm pretty sure we'd beat the shit out of the north if they tried bitch slapping us.

Now I'm in no way starting a debate here... but numbers to numbers, the north east cannot compare to the sheer firepower of the central south. And as for Illinois, well they're just fawked :rofl:

Anyway, hope you guys enjoyed the holiday :beer
If that ever happened. Count me in for the south. I am out of place hick in Commiefornia. :rebelflag:beer

·
Master of the Estate
3,789 Posts
1 - 20 of 85 Posts