·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Crazy ..….. i just had one slip out from under my Focus. I had the front end on stands and removed the motor and transmission. I went to remove them and jacked up the drivers side... removed the stand... and was lowering the jack... when the passenger side slide out. Moved the entire vehicle over 6 inches to the left went it came down. luckily I had the tires on.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
14,973 Posts
I've had these for a while which look very similar but are not HF brand..wonder if they're the same manufacturer??

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
3,517 Posts
I've had these for a while which look very similar but are not HF brand..wonder if they're the same manufacturer??

View attachment 159684
The HF stands are Pittsburgh brand. I have a set of 3-tons but not those item numbers. Still doesn’t sit well with me.

·
Super Moderator
9,665 Posts
I have a set of red ones and a set of black ones. I guess I'll be taking those back this weekend. I mostly use the 6 ton set I have from them. I have noticed in the past that the small set are somewhat easy to slip and fall, so I haven't used them in years.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
14,973 Posts
The HF stands are Pittsburgh brand. I have a set of 3-tons but not those item numbers. Still doesn’t sit well with me.
same here, what bothers me is they look identical in design to the ones I have..

Reactions: White Dragon

·
Registered
342 Posts
Well sh!t-the ones I have look exactly like that. I’m moving on. Anyone got suggestions for American made stands or are there any?

Thanks much!

Reactions: BroncMom

·
TTB makes me sad
173 Posts
I, like Yall, have some 6 ton stands that aren't part of the recall but I'm still hesitant. Ill just use my Torin 12 ton jack stands as they give me the extra height needed with my lift.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,723 Posts
I've got their 12 ton stands. Not real worried about em. I'm more concerned with the wheel stands they use at the JY, I've been under a f350 dumptruck when it started shifting, away from me luckily.

Most all jack stands, not made in USA, are made in the same factory and rebranded. I saw one place saying torin and HF are made in the same place. But torin also has a pretty good reputation, so maybe they use a different QC or different raw materials, etc.

·
Registered
9,717 Posts

View attachment 159684
I have a set of 2 and 6 ton big red stands I've used for years. Most stands look identical regardless of manufacturer. Remember the chinese are masters of copying things, so this should be no surprise, they however usually cheapen things up by using thinner or poorer materials, or cutting corners on design. It's not just low labor cost.
If you read the article the problem is being blamed on old tooling, which means something wasn't put together right. This is consistent with most quality issues I've seen from basic HF tools, inaccuracies and misalignments. The factory likely used the tooling way past it's life (the tooling that makes tools does wear out) or they bought the old tooling from another factory that was EOL.

I've had multiple jacks from harbor freight, but tend to draw the line at jack stands. You can get better brand ones used for next to nothing, I think I paid 15 for 2 6 tons.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Crazy ..….. i just had one slip out from under my Focus. I had the front end on stands and removed the motor and transmission. I went to remove them and jacked up the drivers side... removed the stand... and was lowering the jack... when the passenger side slide out. Moved the entire vehicle over 6 inches to the left went it came down. luckily I had the tires on.
That's craaazy... Glad ur ok

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thanks for sharing @BroncMom ..That is fawking scary..
Absolutely... I see you guys talking about Jack stands and harbor freight all the time. Couldn't stand to see one of u guys get hurt ❤

·
Registered
914 Posts
I've got 8 of the 3 tons, which I've used extensively... one set for over a decade. Never had any issues, but I guess they're going back...

1 - 20 of 137 Posts