Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1992 XLT 302 5 spd trans, long tube headers, manual t case, manual hubs
40 Posts
Wow this is incredible I have a set of these. Utter F'ing nonsense that we let the chinese make ANYTHING we use

·
Premium Member
If it is not a Bronco, it's just not worth driving.....
1,358 Posts
I have two sets from Northern tool. They are the Strongway brand. They have the extra key wedge that locks the stand arm while it is raised up. They look different than the ones pictured so I guess mine are good to go...... not sure if they are manufactured in the same place.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,716 Posts
I have two sets from Northern tool. They are the Strongway brand. They have the extra key wedge that locks the stand arm while it is raised up. They look different than the ones pictured so I guess mine are good to go...... not sure if they are manufactured in the same place.

These look like a decent alternative. I have seen several people make their own as well, they end up with something that looks like a house support, with just holes and a bolt. But doing it this way you can make the base as wide as you want.

I have 5 pairs of HF jackstands all bought in this time frame, some how none of them are the recall part numbers. Like anything else, its a personal choice. I feel they are OK, but I also inspect them before I use them. I have had to replace the pins for the locking paw in 1 set that I have had the longest.
I also have 2 sets of their 12 ton stands.

Desolate or Solo had a post on their instagram about these stands, where they got one that failed, and the casting had a flaw in it, which let it rust on the inside. So eventually the piece broke, was interesting to see

·
Registered
1989 Bronco, Eddie Bauer, Raven Black
186 Posts
@BroncMom Thxs for posting. The member that said the Chinese are master copiers is correct. All the Chinese made stands are now suspect. Probably all are made in the same plants with identical tooling...all stolen technology.

I have a 2.25 ton Craftsman my Dad bought years ago...just now noticed it’s Chinese. The red 2 tons I believe I bought at Northern Tools.

Except for my Dad’s stands, I’ll be replacing them. Now that I have a heavier car (Bronc) I’ll go 3 tons + up.

Question: who makes an American made stand?
FAD0C83D-B5C4-4B3E-AB1A-8670578EB07E.jpeg
7596EA55-7B56-4E5C-976D-F05307BC583D.jpeg

·
Registered
186 Posts
BTW, I have a HF about a mile away. I have just about all their hand tools/wrenches etc. When ratcheting wrenches came out...they were $$$. Then HF sold them are became “affordable”... now they have pivoting ratcheting wrenches! I think I’ll pass...

What I’m trying to say is that I’m guilty as charged....but...this virus thingy and the Chinese’ actions...I’m done with China crap.

I’m making an effort to avoid their stuff. It’s hard to do but I’m trying. I’m making an effort. Buy Made in USA!
Put an American to work!!!

crap....even Old Glory I so proudly hung on my oak tree was made there. Imma get me a new flag!
A16899F1-A021-41C7-B309-363461F2EAE8.jpeg

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,716 Posts
Some options I have found thus far that look like good pieces to me

Grey and SnapOn also list USA made stands on their sites.

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,396 Posts
If my ass is going to be under it for any length of time on stands, I shake the hell out of it and put blocks of USA made 4X4 wood cribbed So if she slips it ain’t too far.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" lift on 33's
35,893 Posts
I've got a set of 6 tons from Everquest that look so similar to the HF set, I just had to go out and double check. Appreciate the heads up @BroncMom

Ever since seeing that "Faces of Death" clip where the guy is working on a car in the yard and the car drops and instantly amputates his leg, I've been wary of the dangers of working under a lifted rig. Whatever concerns I had growing up only escalated when I became an amputee myself.

I use my jackstands all the time but if I've got a truck or even a bike that needs to stay lifted for any real length of time, I'll try to come up with a cinder-block/wood platform, rather than rely long term on any jackstands.

Good luck out there and stay safe folks.
Barely related note... somewhere around here, we have another thread where I pointed out a recall that effected decades of fire extinguishers. Might be worth looking up while we're on the topic of deadly dangerous recalls.

FWIW, I'm completely onboard the "PHUK CHINA" move. Can't say I'm 100% but I'm also trying and bitchin' to suppliers I use. Between Ford and Harley... I've got a lot of bitchin' to do.

·
Registered
186 Posts
BTW, this afternoon I wandered into the local HF, primarily to use their restroom. I meandered to the jacks...lots of floor and bottle jacks to chose from.

Jackstands.....nothing! All recalled!

Since this C19 stuff, I’ve gotten familiar with jack stands, again! I replaced the front sway bar w/a RideTech on my Elky and replaced the shocks, bushings, etc. Then, I installed lowering springs and changed the oil on my SS.

I’m gonna make like a beaver and go WOOD as suggested !

BD5D1CCA-432E-4C4E-9936-AAE665AA9DD7.jpeg
7D4965F7-6E33-4F6C-A3ED-FCDF14DF03D0.jpeg
CD7A6038-B9FE-47F8-B4F7-ED4210779C92.jpeg
BD5D1CCA-432E-4C4E-9936-AAE665AA9DD7.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,697 Posts
BTW, this afternoon I wandered into the local HF, primarily to use their restroom. I meandered to the jacks...lots of floor and bottle jacks to chose from.

Jackstands.....nothing! All recalled!
I work at a company that has had a recall before, which happens more often than people may think when you consider how many manufacturers there are in the world, and we didn't eff around and pulled more than was suspected of being "bad".

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,512 Posts
I have a set of 6-ton stands Dad bought for me when I had Eddie on the road, that was the Summer of '04. I've had them under ambulances, medium-duty box trucks, you name it, and as long as I set them up correctly, on a level surface (I just had them under my Ranchero a few weeks ago, in the back yard, and I made sure to put plywood under them), I don't have anything to worry about.

·
Man of endless projects
9,056 Posts
so what exactly fails on these stands? you figure a bronco weights like 4500 lbs? 2.25 tons? its not like you are putting all 6,000 or 12,000 lbs on a single jack stand. granted you should never push the rated limits and the made in china stand might not actually be able to hold all that weight. but what is actually failing for these to collapse?

i got some cheap NAPA stands. dont know the rating but they arnt as strong as they looked. tried to use one as a emergency wheel chok and my truck flattend it like a pancake effortlessly. but obviously there not designed for that kind of abuse.

i dont generally use harbor freight for tools. i will say that the my Pittsburg 3-ton jack is nearly indestructable. i leave it outside every day, i have used it underwater several times trying to get unstuck offroad, i have beaten the crap out of it over the like 5 years i have had it and still works jsut fine. no other jack i have has seen nearly that kind of abuse and last a quarter as long. now that i say this it will fail on my tomorrow and kill me im sure

as bigblue said, the stands at the junkyard made of old welded wheels, using 3 to hold up a vehicle in not so safe configuration. working on pulling suspension and driveline. now thats some scary crap when you feel them start to sway over you.

·
Registered
1979 Ranger XLT 400m T18
92 Posts
so what exactly fails on these stands? you figure a bronco weights like 4500 lbs? 2.25 tons? its not like you are putting all 6,000 or 12,000 lbs on a single jack stand. granted you should never push the rated limits and the made in china stand might not actually be able to hold all that weight. but what is actually failing for these to collapse?
I thought it was that they didn't engage or lock in the up position well enough. So if you bumped the truck the stand could collapse/retract.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts