Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
F.O.T.M. - MAY 2014!!!
6,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have expirence with them? I was looking to buy a small trailer for my quad. For 300 bucks I can get a 48x96 complete with a 1740lb max load capacity. Is it worth it, or is there anything better out there for about the same price?

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
We have one.

This one

It has probably got 10K miles on it. Pretty happy with it.

Seems like most places have something similar, but this was the cheapest. Didn't expect much out of it, but it has done well.
You get up around 800 pounds of cargo and it starts making us nervous. But perfect for a 4 wheeler, or general hauling.
We got a spare and spare mount also and it was like $290 total.

When we get time I want to weld the thing together, not allowing it to fold up. I think that will make it feel much more stable.

It has made at least 3 trips from Iowa to GA loaded and it tows perfect, just hard to see out of the mirrors, a little narrow. If you don't have anything tall on it where you can see it out your back window, you wouldn't know it is there.
Needs flags, or move the lights out or something, but I would recomend it. And yes it does tow just fine at 75+ mph.

We did take out time packing the wheel bearings on it. Used a good marine plywood.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Read the fine print before ordering, some trailers from HF have a tire size option or sometimes do not include tires at all!

·
Registered
1991 351W E4OD
866 Posts
I have one too (also the 48x96). Wasn't hard to put together at all and you can't really argue with $300 (w/spare tire holder and spare tire included). My bf's uncle made the wheel stops for the quad. We've had it for close to a year now and it's made several trips to Hollister Hills and Pismo. It's holding up great from what I can tell. Perfect for a quad.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Those tires on it scare me. I know most people use them without any trouble, but if I was you I'd get a trailer with "real" tires and bearings, if you can afford it. I think its a little extra money well spent.

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
Read the fine print before ordering, some trailers from HF have a tire size option or sometimes do not include tires at all!
That is true, I can't remember for sure what the whole story was, but they also sold a trailer for less money, and it had like a 790lb payload. The only difference was the tire size, it was the exact same trailer with larger, or higher rated tires on it.

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
Those tires on it scare me.
Very true, but there is far worse junk than that running up and down the road everyday.

My plan (for a long time - it's going nowhere fast) is to get a minivan rear axle with 5-on-5.5" lugs (if it exists) and drop a trailer bed onto it. Cheap; cheap replacement parts anywhere in the country; and all the wheels on truck & trailer would be interchangeable. But my hitch hauler makes such a small trailer unnecessary; it'd carry a 4-wheeler easy, and it's much easier to travel with than any trailer.
That is actually a very cool idea, never thought of that. I think you are kind of hosed on the bolt pattern though.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
i scored one barely used from my friends mom for $100, so far it works perfect and fits in the corner of my garage nicely since I don't have room to keep a regular trailer. the flag idea is good because I can never see mine unless I'm turning sharp.

·
Enjoy my
6,054 Posts
I have one too (also the 48x96). Wasn't hard to put together at all and you can't really argue with $300 (w/spare tire holder and spare tire included). My bf's uncle made the wheel stops for the quad. We've had it for close to a year now and it's made several trips to Hollister Hills and Pismo. It's holding up great from what I can tell. Perfect for a quad.

Lol nice gas can.

·
Registered
1991 351W E4OD
866 Posts
Lol nice gas can.
Why thank you. :toothless

I also have it as a decal on my gas tank.

FYI, I don't really hate 4 strokes. It's just funny to me 'cause some people get pissed off and all defensive about it.

Sorry to get offtopic. Back to the trailer discussion! :beer

·
They call me "MR FLAT TIRE"
4,595 Posts
Ive had one..with the 12" wheels..probably put 8K miles on it and replaced one tire.(bought at walmart off the shelf in Utah)

would have put bearing buddies on the hubs, but never found any to fit.
Used it to haul a 14B rear back from ND and a D60rear, D50 front, EB hard top home to CA.
did well.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
i scored an old as dirt military trailer from a friend's uncle last fall for $50. all it needed was a new hitch (bulldog), trailer lights rewired and a cheap jack. it has truck tires on it, tailgate, pulls stright and i cant tell its back there. a bit too narrow for my roommate's '07 Brute Force with bigger than factory tires on it. i just hual firewood, brush and general crap with it for now. when i get back to TX, ill get some pics.

·
F.O.T.M. - MAY 2014!!!
6,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the replies, I was planning trying the same as steve mentioned but I wanted to use a long bed ford, same era of my truck with matching rims. But, I doubt I could do that for under 300.
Looks like I found my trailer. Thanks!

·
I see Broncos
6,010 Posts
My ex has one for her quad. Pretty easy to put together and tows easilly. but you will lose it behind a bronco. So go for it.

·
Registered
773 Posts
A friend of mine has one. He has used it to haul his quad countless miles. Also hauls wood with it. I bought it for him at a garage sale several years ago. It has been a great trailer.

·
F.O.T.M. - MAY 2014!!!
6,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cool, I got to look into that pepboys one now. Even though I hate the asshats.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts