Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a 91 a little over a year ago. A couple of months into it she started shifting hard from 1st - 2nd. I tried everything. Replaced MPLS sensor, checked TPS, EGR, no codes etc etc. After reading a bunch of posts on here I thought it might be the Accumulator piston in the Valve body. I saw a Valve Body on Ebay for like $30 bucks so I said what the hell. I dropped the pan, pulled the filter and ten bolts later the new Valve Body was on. I was a little scared taking her out the first time figuring it would either fix it or she would shit the tranny all over the street..but to my surprise she shifted super smooth and has been working fine ever since. What a great feeling to fix her and not get raped by some Trans shop. I was smiling all day. Thought I would write this in case anyone had the same problem. I guess I'll be putting a lift on after all....peace

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
When you say hard shift, does it take a while to get from 1st to 2nd? When mine begins it's shifting, it takes maybe a second or a second and a quarter to actually shift. Did yours do that? Does it do it now?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When she was shifting hard I'd say yes it felt like she hung on for a extra split second and then a very hard shift. Now there is no hesitation..

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
I'm very interested in this. Mine is pretty sluggish on shifting (ask MuddyBronco13, he witnessed it in person).

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Here's a clip of my truck shifting from first to second (I accidentally let the button go on 2nd to 3rd), it's usually even more "laggy" than this, but you can hear the engine kind of "rrrrRRREEAAARRrrr" and then shift.

http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/showmedia.php?id=310195

Note, remember this is a good shift, I didn't have time to get one this morning (I don't know if it's just when it's cold or what but it seems like it does it almost all the time.).....but anyway that little "rrrrRRREEAAARRrrr" right after 4500rpm is usually 1.5 times as long as the one in the video.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
I'm trying to find a valve body...but on summit they're $220-700 :shocked

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Any ideas? Am I looking at the wrong thing or what?

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
Most of the valve bodies @ Summit Racing are full manual or reverse valve bodies, made for competition. mochiba replaced his accumulator valve body and nothing else. That long-ass shift overlap you're getting is from the accumulator trying to smooth the shift out, but in many (if not most) cases, those valve body passages are worn out or full of crud. You get the same effect if you take the accumulator pistons out and replace the spring with something solid(er). The shift improver kits are doing the same thing.

Are you just trying to locate an accumulator valve body?

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
SigEpBlue said:
Most of the valve bodies @ Summit Racing are full manual or reverse valve bodies, made for competition. mochiba replaced his accumulator valve body and nothing else. That long-ass shift overlap you're getting is from the accumulator trying to smooth the shift out, but in many (if not most) cases, those valve body passages are worn out or full of crud. You get the same effect if you take the accumulator pistons out and replace the spring with something solid(er). The shift improver kits are doing the same thing.

Are you just trying to locate an accumulator valve body?

If it's cheap and fixes those hard ass shifts (you can tell in my video, the camera jerks), then yes.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1 - 13 of 13 Posts