Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I have a 86, FSB, 302 EFI.

I have recently replaced the Heater core, Radiator, Overflow tank and thermostat,

(Pretty sure it's in the right way)

Whe the vehicle has been running fro a while, and made it up to operating temperature, the coolant hose going from the top of the radiator to the thermostat is hard as a rock,,

I have let the vehicle idle and repeatedly checked to see if the hose would get soft when the thermostst opens,, nothing....

I have taken the cap off the radiator, and don't see a whole lot of fluid moving around,,,,

everything I have read says water pump.. does this sound correct?

I am planning on replacing it anyway, as the guy that I bought the Bronco from had a hole in the radiator, and ran straight water in it for a week or so...

Thank you for your help,,,

Chem

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Ok.....so what your saying is that when your engine gets up to operating temp the upper rad hose has pressure inside it?

Well thats normal aint it???..........there should be about 13PSI in the system......and when you replace the rad cap....make sure you get a 13LB one.

Oh and next time I replace a radiator......I am going with a all metal one. I have had it with the plastic side tank design units.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Streetgang,

I know the hoses should be hard,, but it seems that there is not much flow through the hoses,,,and it takes forever for the fluid to get hot/warm in the radiator,,,

It will idle and run in the middle or just below the center of the temp guage,,,

am I just being overly concerned, or should I be able to squeeze the rad hose when the thermostat opens?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
You will know when it opens by just feeling the upper hose......let it idle for a while and then you will all of a sudden feel the hose start getting warm.....thats when the t-stat opens.....no?

The bypass system will let the hot coolant pass through the heater core before the t-stat opens. I know in my truck I have *warm* air blowing from the ducts after 5 min of idling and thats with the ambient temp at like 25*F

·
Registered
213 Posts
Chemfrk said:
I have recently replaced the Heater core, Radiator, Overflow tank and thermostat,

(Pretty sure it's in the right way)
Just as an FYI--on most vehicles, the easiest thing to remember when installing thermostats is that the spring goes into the engine
Of course, there are exceptions to the rule, but most of the time you'll be just fine doing it that way

·
Banned
22,427 Posts
Whether the thermostat is open or not has no effect on the pressure in the upper hose. Is the LOWER hose soft? Does the upper one go soft when you remove the radiator cap?

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Steve,

Yes the upper hose gets soft when the cap is removed, and the lower hose is soft,,,

The weep hole has a drop, literally a drop of water right underneath it,,

Sorry fro basic questions, but since the previous owner ran straight water in the system, and I have since replaced the heater core, thermostat and radiator, should i safe side it and do the water pump,,, or not worry about it,,,

To make sure I got all the old "Stuff" out,

I filled the system with 50/50 premix coolant, ran it for a while, a few drives, and then drained and refilled with new,,,

the stuff I got out was a green/brown...

since refilling, the coolant has stayed nice and green

Chem

·
Back in TEXAS
1,967 Posts
Sounds like your system is working fine. Keep an eye on fluid level and teh weep hole to make sure the pump isn't going out. As for the temp guage level if your using the factory guage (like I am) the level is flaky. On mine the level runs right above (about the width of the needle) the cold line.

·
Registered
343 Posts
87EBBronco said:
Sounds like your system is working fine. Keep an eye on fluid level and teh weep hole to make sure the pump isn't going out. As for the temp guage level if your using the factory guage (like I am) the level is flaky. On mine the level runs right above (about the width of the needle) the cold line.

Yeah I NEVER get past the T in "Temperature".. 160 deg on my other gauge.

·
Banned
22,427 Posts
Chemfrk said:
Yes the upper hose gets soft when the cap is removed, and the lower hose is soft.
Are you saying that the lower hose is soft even when the upper one is pressurized? Or that you've only checked the lower hose after removing the cap, and it was soft? The lower hose should have a spring inside it, making it impossible to collapse; even by hand with the cap off.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
Chemfrk said:
am I just being overly concerned,
Yes.

Buy a mechanical temp gauge so you know the real temp and stop worying so much.

The cooling system is sealed, when the water heats up it expands presurising the system. This presure is what makes the hoses firm. Take the lid off and the system is no lnger sealed so the pressure is let off and the hoses go back to being soft.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts