Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
14,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I found out this morning that the hard drive on my home PC crashed..I kind of suspected it, but was hoping that was not the problem. Anyway, the shop that is doing the work says they are going to try to recover as much of the data as possible. I have two questions, what is the likelihood that I have essentially lost everthing? And, in order to make sure I don't have this problem again, by that I mean losing the data because I know harddrives can crash, does anyone recommend an particular kind of software to use for backing up the hard drive. Thanks.

·
o[|||]o
11,147 Posts
RAID1 (Disk Mirroring) if your MB supports it. Buy quality HD's. Depending on what exactly you mean by HD "crashed", your chances of getting much back are slim to none without extensive recovery work that is beyond the scope of most PC repair shops. But ya never know, depends on how bad it was/is.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
a good peice of software for back ups are NORTON Ghost

its a usefull program, as it allows you to make an exact snap shot of your hard drive. it also allows for easy recovery of the entire hard drive if it dies. i use norton ghost at home. have to make a ghost img of my desktop then ghost xp pro back over for important files that i need, so then i can get back to my current install with out much of an issue

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
14,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I'm still waiting to find out the severity of it, and am keeping my fingers crossed, IIRC it was a Maxtor drive. JW I don't think is was a bad crash, I've had drives crash on me before and it was not pretty. This time I was able to boot up intermittently. Is Norton Ghost part of the Norton Anti Virus Ute package or is that sold separately?

·
Dead Horse
5,935 Posts
my harddrive crashed 5 days ago, had to buy a new one and reload everything

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
14,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jb77714 said:
my harddrive crashed 5 days ago, had to buy a new one and reload everything
Yeah, that's not what I wanted to hear....I checked on that Norton Ghost, looks pretty slick, but spendy at $69 bucks..I guess it's worth it for the piece of mind...One thing I noticed, it is only for XP or 2000 Windows versions. I still have 98 so that may be a problem. Maybe I can get an older version.

·
Dead Horse
5,935 Posts
im soo used to messing up one of my computers and building computers, i can have everything reloaded in no time. :thumbup

·
I see Broncos
6,007 Posts
If it's an actual crash slim to none on the data recovery. If it's a "soft crash" meaning the OS went to shit then recovery is easy. Other times you can get lucky and it's a logic board problem on the drive itself where the drive will operate until it heats up, if that is the case then you may get lucky. Never store anything on YOUR computer that you do not want to lose. Computers WILL CRASH.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
jermil01 said:
Is Norton Ghost part of the Norton Anti Virus Ute package or is that sold separately?
it sold seperatly but you could prolly dl it somewere off the net

jermil01 said:
I still have 98 so that may be a problem. Maybe I can get an older version.
Then why dont you upgrade to xp?

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
14,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good info, here's hoping it was a soft crash..The guy said he was working on recovering the data, so that sounded encouraging.

Good poin amw , it's probably time to upgrade to the XP..

Froggmann said:
If it's an actual crash slim to none on the data recovery. If it's a "soft crash" meaning the OS went to shit then recovery is easy. Other times you can get lucky and it's a logic board problem on the drive itself where the drive will operate until it heats up, if that is the case then you may get lucky. Never store anything on YOUR computer that you do not want to lose. Computers WILL CRASH.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Win 98 and 95 is most terrible O/S they ever made...I hated them...go to XP...you will be much happier...also for backup I have two hard drives...hard drives are so cheap...just back up your important stuff (files and what nots) to the other drive...no need to backup your programs you can just reinstall them...

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
14,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I do have a CD burner Marv, that's what I'm going to be using in the future to back everything up. Got the PC back last night, the guy said the drive had a mechanical failure but he was able to recover the data. So here is the part that sucks...I have to go back and load all of the software..Now most of it I have, but the MS Office was loaded on when I bought it. I've gotten a few errors which I'm sure are from the computer looking for things associated with different software applications that are missing. I may just reformat the whole thing after backing up my data. Other than that it seems to be working fine, but I have not have much time to mess around with it yet.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
InkDawg said:
Win 98 and 95 is most terrible O/S they ever made...I hated them...go to XP...you will be much happier...also for backup I have two hard drives...hard drives are so cheap...just back up your important stuff (files and what nots) to the other drive...no need to backup your programs you can just reinstall them...
I enjoyed Win95, 98 and 98SE MUCH MORE than I enjoyed WinME. I don't think they were terrible at all.

If you're to buy 2 hard drives, I would suggest RAID1 as JahWarrior suggested. Your motherboard may not support it, but I'm sure you can get a PCI RAID card.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
14,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm definitely going to switch to XP for my next O/S. I'm not familiar with the RAID card, what does that allow you to do?

·
Registered
784 Posts
first of all, dont buy XP now. a new version of windows is coming out very soon, so keep ur 98 until then.

a raid 1 configuration means you buy to identical hd's, hook them up as one virtual drive and have the storage capacity of 1 hd. whatever you do gets saved to both, so if one crashes, you have the other and can replace the destroyed one and continue on.

data recovery is VERY expensive. almost any hd that is damaged can have the information recovered, but its mainly for companies that had some catastrophe that their backups went down too and they have information worth hundreds of thousands of dollars or more that they cannot afford to lose.

what i do is i have two 74gp 10krpm raptors in raid 0 which is a performance array, and two 250gb drives in raid 1. i only put programs on the raptors and whatever files or information i have go into the raid 1 array. safe and fast.

if i were you, id buy two hd's, whatever size you really need, and hook up a raid 1. if your mb doesnt support it, get a raid card.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
14,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So Mike, you have 4 hard drives?? I see what you're talking about now with the two drives and one acting us a back up, that makes perfect sense. It's good to know.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
14,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
MSXML 4.0 failed to load

This is probably related to my hard drive crash and the loss of some of the files on my PC. I have a game Rise of Nations Thrones and Patriots that requires MSXML 4.0 to play. I have tried a number of different methods to get this loaded on my PC but no luck..Does anyone have experience with this? Or do I need to wipe everything clean and start from scratch?

·
Registered
784 Posts
jermil01 said:
So Mike, you have 4 hard drives?? I see what you're talking about now with the two drives and one acting us a back up, that makes perfect sense. It's good to know.
yup. 4 hd's. sweetness. just gotta make sure ur MB handles it.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
eh. go and dl xp pro. then find a friend with xp of which you can use the genuine windows crap on.

a good site. um im not gonna say it public. if you want the site of which you may find all your software needs pm me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts