Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought this bronco 2 weeks ago. While driving it I noticed that the tranny was shifting hard. Would adding tranny fluid or changing the fluid help. Noticed it really bad tonight on the way home and haven't had a chance to look at anything. I'm open to suggestions.

·
Registered
224 Posts
what gear is it shifting roughly in? Is your Check engine light on?

Mine was on, and it was the Throttle Position Sensor. It has something called a Limp Mode or something like that where the hard shift is to let you know of an issue. After replacing the TPS twice (first one had a loose wire and I had to take it back) she CIL went off, and the rough shifting stopped. Good as new...

Mine did it from 1st to 2nd gear...in limp mode

I think that's the most I've ever used the word limp coincidentally. It's not a word generally accepted in my vocabulary... lol :goodfinge

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a little slow to take off from a start and then shifts hard from 1st to 2nd. no lights or anything. like I said before i bought this 2 weeks ago from a young guy and he didn't take care of it one bit.

·
Behold my
1,276 Posts
It's probably in limp mode then. Don't add fluid if it isn't low. It's better to have a bit lower fluid than too much. Of course, spot on is the best.

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
Search for "How to pull codes"

·
Registered
224 Posts
what year is it..?? and what transmission is in it?? low (too low) trans fluid will go from super soft shifs to no shifts... hard shifts is going to be something else
Guessing it's a 90 from his info under his name...but that's just a guess. May be a different year since he got one 2 weeks ago.

I wouldn't assume it's limp mode and call it done or anything. It's doing that for a reason. I would check the codes (should give you last code it read) and start troubleshooting. Definitely check the fluid in the tranny (not the male...wanna be female one...if you happen to have one of those too) :rofl:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Do a search for how to pull the codes, some of these guys like to bite the heads off the new guys, especially since it's Sunday and they are not out wheeling or wrenching!!!!

The test connector is on the driver fender in the engine compartment. You can go to AutoZone and see if they can pull the codes for ya for free or you can use the paperclip and count flashes. My suggestion is go to O'Rieley's and buy the Ford ODB-I tester for $30, It's a great tool to have if you plan on keeping your rig for a long time. You will always hear "Pull the codes" anytime you have a question.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'm guessing it goes off after a sec?

I'm guessing it's not doing it every time like maybe a shift kit was installed from a previous owner (PO)?

Do you see any transmission fluid leaking out on the ground when parked?

If your low on fluid it can shift hard because the Torque Converter needs a lot of fluid and once it gets enough it will hit hard.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
no fluid on the ground. I was thinking about changing the the tranny fluid. I'm sure it hasn't been done at all. I can check the level and if it's low I can add some and drive it and see how it does.

·
Registered
258 Posts
It's a little slow to take off from a start and then shifts hard from 1st to 2nd. no lights or anything. like I said before i bought this 2 weeks ago from a young guy and he didn't take care of it one bit.
I overlooked that post, it sounds like low on fluid. Make sure your on a level surface when checking the fluid level after it's been warmed up.

·
Registered
148 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I appreciate all the help guys. Like I posted earlier I bought this from a 18 kid and it wasn't taken care of at all. I just replaced the wheel bearings and the lock nut for both hubs, so I'll probably be putting a lot of post on here for help. Once again thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Wolf, make sure you search on future questions cause they may have already answered it and will save ya a lot of time on waiting for responses. Also be as detailed as you can be when you write the question cause someone here may reply "Hey that happen to me, blah, blah, blah. Here's how I fixed it"

You can see these guys are very knowledgeable and are willing to help those who can follow directions in the replys.

Do you have manual hubs are the original auto hubs? If you have auto hubs, invest $90 in some Warn Premium Hubs from Advanced Auto (those are the cheapest price I've seen so far), well worth the money and no headaches.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts