Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1994 5.8 ford bronco
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1994 5.8 E40D trans
no codes, starts/idles perfectly, every shift is hard (safe mode), repaired wiring to passenger side transmission plug (all insulation was gone and wires exposed.)
I need some help on where to start testing. And how do you know when you’re not in “safe mode”? Is there any indicator?

·
Super Moderator
25,328 Posts
Yo Broseph228,
Welcome!
Harsh Forward and Reverse;
208 — ELECTRICAL ROUTINE
Powertrain Control System
  • Electrical inputs/outputs, vehicle wiring harnesses, powertrain control module, electronic pressure control, throttle position sensor
  • Run On-Board Diagnostics. Refer to PC/ED Manual for diagnosis. Perform Engagement Test, EPC Test and Pinpoint Test E using Rotunda Transmission Tester 007-00085 and Cable and Overlay 007-00107 or equivalents. Service as required. Clear codes, road test and rerun On-Board Diagnostics.
  • Try a Self Test for Diagnostic Trouble Codes by my pal, BroncoJoe19 @ Code Reader.....
  • Or ask local mom and dad parts stores if they will test it for you.

Or purchase a coder reader such as Equus 3145 Innova OBD I Code Reader for Ford EEC IV Engines at Walmart & most parts stores.
308 — HYDRAULIC/MECHANICAL ROUTINE
Improper Pressures
  • High line pressure
  • Check pressure at line pressure taps. Perform Line Pressure Test. Refer to Pressure Chart No. 401 for specification. If high, check main controls.
Main Controls
  • Bolts not tightened to specification
  • Retighten bolts to specification.
  • Gasket damaged
  • Inspect for damage and replace.
  • Electronic pressure control solenoid stuck or damaged
  • Perform Electronic Pressure Control Tests in routine No. 208. Service as required.
  • Engagement control valve stuck, damaged, contaminated, misassembled
  • Inspect for damage, contamination. Service as required.
Pump Assembly
  • Bolts not tightened to specification
  • Retighten bolts to specification.
  • Gaskets damaged
  • Inspect for damage and replace.
  • Main regulator/booster valve stuck, damaged, misassembled
  • Inspect for damage. Service as required.
°●°●
ASAP, find out if speed control recall work, if equipped was completed @ Recalls Look-up by VIN (Vehicle Identification Number); or @ Welcome to Ford Owner | Official Ford Owner Site; or ... have VIN ready. While there, see most Ford dealer maintenance/repairs done @ any dealership nation-wide.
"Summary: ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS, PASSENGER VEHICLES, SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, AND MOTOR HOMES CHASSIS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY, UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, LEAK INTERNALLY AND THEN OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE."
See this guide by jowens1126 to confirm recall status @ 93 & 94-96 Cruise Control Recalls Repair
Note that the 93 recall is different than 94-96.

For any Bronco questions or to chat about it's planned modifications or build, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (75 posts required to view due to scammers who preyed on our members.).

To save you time and for better responses, please fill out your Bronco info with location, year, engine size, transmission type, transfer case type (manual or electric shift), locking hub type (automatic or manual) info & major mods such as a Lift, etc. .
Bronco info is now able to be put under your user name.
Click your profile button in the top right and go to account settings.

On that first page, named Account Details, scroll down to "Vehicle Info" and type in up to 100 characters.

Now you can simply enter your information in the text editor and click save.

Our Forum FAQs includes for example, How To Upload Images To Posts, How to Use Search, How To Save (Bookmark) Threads Or Posts & more tips!

BabaLooey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links) ... includes such as, "Tailgate Window repair & troublehooting.

1994 Bronco Brochure, Partial; Cover & Page 3; plus pics of EDDIE BAUER model accessories.
by BigRob at 1994 Ford Bronco Bronco Accessories pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

Try to find time to participate in our current Full-Size of the Quarter & Full-Size of the Year Contests @ Voting
You will get ideas by those competing. Also see the prizes! They are awesome as compared to other sites' "contests"!
Al

·
Super Moderator
9,663 Posts
One simple way I have discovered to determine if you are in limp mode is, the cruise control doesn't work in limp mode.

I suggest that you skip everything and go straight for either a new used psom (speedometer) or get ahold of modulemechanics.com and have them replace all the capacitors and resolder the entire board. I had them do mine and it started working but it was intermittent. So I sent it back for a second try and it still didn't work. The tech told me it doesn't always work as they cant replace integrated circuits. So I found the circuit board on ebay for $50. I got one with the lowest mileage I could find so hopefully it would still work. Once I put the new board into the speedometer it worked like a new truck.

Attachments

·
Registered
1994 5.8 ford bronco
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have programmed my PSOM to my 35” tires, all gauges work perfectly and no jumping of the speed needle until 70 mph (I heard that was normal)
Why would that need replacing as a priority?

·
Super Moderator
9,663 Posts
The speedometer can appear to work perfectly but still be the cause of the limp mode. The psom reads the sensor signal as a sine wave to calculate your speed then it transforms the signal to square waves before sending the signal to the EEC. The eec controls shifting. If that signal is distorted in any way it wont shift and goes into limp mode. This is the exact problem mine had. It's a defect in the integrated circuit that cant be fixed.

·
Registered
1994 5.8 ford bronco
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I heard you can re solder most of the points as well, correct? And then purchase the eBay board u mentioned.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Has it ever had normal shift feels? Maybe the previous owner put in a performance valve body (like Punisher valve body) and that's why you are getting the very hard shifts.

·
Super Moderator
9,663 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts