Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1995 ford bronco 5.8 e40d
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello this is my first forum new to the bronco community aswell, I believe this is right area for this question.

I recently bought a 1995 ford bronco 5.8 Eddie Bauer edition E40d auto trans. The previous owner purchased a newer trans (40k miles) whenever you put it in any gear it shifts like your wot. And when you put it in drive it will not shift into second gear. If you manually put it in second it works as intended. The speedometer works aswell. I know that it could be a few things such as mlps or the rps. I’m just not exactly sure where to start and was hopping that someone on here had the same issue and could direct me in the right direction, thank you in advance.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,457 Posts
Test your throttle position sensor and replace if needed. Most likely this is your culprit as it's probably giving off wide open throttle signals.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay that would make a lot of sense, it doesn’t have high idle but it is producing a insane amount of hcs..I will check the voltage On the tps tomorrow morning and will get back to you With a answer

·
Premium Member
If it is not a Bronco, it's just not worth driving.....
1,899 Posts
Is your overdrive light blinking?

Did you check the computer for any codes it has thrown? That should be your first step, listen to what the computer is trying to tell you.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Does your speedometer and odometer work? Do you have an ABS warning light on? There is a signal called VSS that originates in a sensor at the rear axle and is used by to PSOM (speedometer and odometer), the speed control, and by the PCM. The PCM needs the signal to determine vehicle speed, and uses the signal to control transmission line pressures along with other transmission functions.
If the TPS isn't the problem, the VSS signal is the place to look next.

·
Super Moderator
28,821 Posts
Yo Jdub66,
Welcome!
Throttle Position Sensor TPS Testing, Replacement & Adjustment by Seattle FSB @ Throttle Position Sensor Testing, Replacement and Adjustment

E4OD Transmission Control Indicator Light (TCIL) is a LED and overdrive on/off switch at end of the Transmission shifter stalk; flashing OD light is an indication of a transmission related trouble code in the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).
Is it flashing while driving?

Try a Self Test for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)s by my pal, BroncoJoe19 @ Code Reader
PCM stores the Self-Test program in permanent memory. When activated, Self-Test checks the EEC system by testing memory integrity and processing capability, and verifies that various sensors and actuators are connected and operating properly.

The engine temperature must be greater than 50° F for the Key On Engine Off (KOEO) Self-Test and greater than 180° F for the Key On Engine Running (KOER) Self-Test. Run it around to heat the engine up and shift thru all gears including Reverse. Make sure A/C is off and transmission is in Park (automatic); or in Neutral for a Manual & release clutch. Then turn off engine, all accessories/lights (close driver's door) , etc.

Do KOEO test First. Post Code(s) here according to KOEO & KOER.
A helper can assist you by counting the codes. Some use their smart phones to record them.

BEWARE OF FAN, BELTS, PULLEYS, HOT HOSES, IGNITION HIGH TENSION WIRES, AND ENGINE COMPONENTS

Or ask local mom and dad parts stores if they will test it for you.
Or purchase a coder reader such as Equus 3145 Innova OBD I Code Reader for Ford EEC IV Engines at Walmart & most parts stores.
●●●

ASAP, find out if speed control recall work, if equipped was completed @ Recalls Look-up by VIN (Vehicle Identification Number); or @ Welcome to Ford Owner | Official Ford Owner Site; or ... have VIN ready. While there, see most Ford dealer maintenance/repairs done @ any dealership nation-wide.
"Summary: ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS, PASSENGER VEHICLES, SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, AND MOTOR HOMES CHASSIS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY, UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, LEAK INTERNALLY AND THEN OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE."
See this guide by jowens1126 to confirm recall status @ 93 & 94-96 Cruise Control Recalls Repair
Note that the 93 recall is different than 94-96.

1995 Bronco Dealer Brochure

1995 Bronco Drivetrain, Powertrain Service Manual - Google Drive
&
1995 Bronco Chassis, Service Manual - Google Drive
To switch between folder list & grid views, click the button to the right of the "DOWNLOAD ALL" button in the upper right corner of the window) by HawkDriver

For any Bronco questions or to chat about it's planned modifications or build, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (75 non-padded posts required to participate, due to scammers who preyed on our members).

To save you time and for better responses, please fill out your Bronco info with location, year, engine size, transmission type, transfer case type (manual or electric shift), locking hub type (automatic or manual) info & major mods such as a Lift, etc. .
Bronco info is now able to be put under your user name.
Click your profile button in the top right and go to account settings.

On that first page, named Account Details, scroll down to "Vehicle Info" and type in up to 100 characters.

Now you can simply enter your information in the text editor and click save.

Our Forum FAQs includes for example, How to Use Search and more tips!

See Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links)
... Includes such as, How do I fix my back window?

¤ See our Full-Size of the Quarter & Full-Size of the Year Contests @ Voting
You will get ideas by those competing. Also see the prizes. They are awesome as compared to other sites' "contests"!
Al

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The speedometer, odometer,and rpm all work I put a tps on it, because the prior owner had it in the truck already new and figured why not worth a shot. Changed the plugs put new wires.. helped the initial startup. I can go about 50mph but it’s very slow. Still kicks hard in gear It is shifting now but it’s very erratic. And is still smoking

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There are 20 inch rims 35 inch tires I’m not sure if the calibrated or not. I know whenever I took the throttle body off the inside of the 2 barrels were carboned up really bad aswell as the intake not sure if that helps

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,457 Posts
Hold down the reset button on the dash, turn the key on and see what CAL # shows up and report. If it needs to be calibrated, it's going to be a HUGE difference.

I've calibrated over 100 of these..... only ONCE have I seen a calibrated PSOM before I got to it. So most likely, it needs to be done.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay I will do it tomorrow morning and I will get back to you thank you for your responses they help alot

1 - 12 of 12 Posts