Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

New here and first post. I have a 1991 25th anniversary bronco that is currently at the paint shop getting a full re-paint [red on red]. It was brought to my attention that if I repaint the entire bronco hard top included it will look different from the original factory paint. They (the body and hard top) will all be brand new glossy/clear coated paint. Where as over time i guess the factory hard tops would fade a little making the hard tops not matching the body exactly over time. And some of the 'texture' on the hard top will go away with a repaint.

So....do people re-paint the hard top the same as the body or do something different...?

Thank you.
-Preston

·
Super Moderator
27,700 Posts
Yo Preston,
Welcome!
It's your choice, original or body color glossy/ or flat, or textured and so on.
Painting info; 1 DO NOT use chemical stripper (I was stripping the entire truck) it's made of SMC(sheet molded compound) and the texture is sprayed on 2 Dont use a DA. You'll sand the splatter pattern off it 3 Scuff it with red scuff pads (3M) 4 Seal with epoxy primer (I used PPG DP-40) 5)Paint, but mix with the desired amount (25-30%) of flattening agent (PPG DX685 - this stuff is weird/smells bad but works; unshaken/unstirred it looks like a sticky golf ball soaking in what I perceive elephant *** would look like). Too much flattening agent and the top will become chalky after a few yews and too little makes it look funny (too glossy). My truck is the newer '98 Expedition white (paint code YZ maybe). I used PPG, DAU product line on this one. If you do this is how I mixed: Color (DAU)16oz; Hardener(DU2)16 oz; Flattener(DX685)10oz (up to 12); Reducer 1.5- 2 oz. The PPG DX685 Chart on the cut sheet is helpful on other PPG lines; Form P-162 (9/96)..."
Source: by j. r. Nice (J. R. N) at FSB

Here are the 1990 F Series/Bronco Pre-Delivery Shop & Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manuals (EVTM), Partial by member Kingfish999 in Google Drive (similar to your 91) @ 1990 Ford Truck service manuals - Google Drive
Slow scrolling for my slow Comcast Highest Cost Blast Internet..
Suggest you download the docs for faster scrolling and to use the page index.

1991 Bronco Dealer Brochure by Ford via via Dezo's Garage @

Haynes Red Manual for 80-95 Bronco & F Series @ Hanes guide 80-96 bko f series.pdf via member BroncMom

For any questions, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie section. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories that requires 50 non-padded posts to participate due to scammers who preyed on our members.

Our Forum FAQs includes for example, How To: Create your Signature; Upload Images To Posts, Search and more tips!

Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links)including, "how do I get the tailgate glass to...", etc

Try to find time to participate and vote in our next Full-Size of the Month Contest & later in the year, Full-Size of the Year Contest @ Voting
You will get ideas by those competing.
Prizes are awarded to Winner; a full spread in Bronco Driver Magazine is the top prize, in addition to a years subscription, once the article is submitted; and a years worth of premium FSB membership!

Al

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
15,126 Posts
Most people think the matte finish looks best. Mine was done in full gloss and clear nearly 20 years ago and still looks great. Though it isnt the same color as the body: charcoal top and flares with silver body.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Mine is painted in a semigloss black. SEM Hot rod black. It looks great.

·
Premium Member
1991Bronco 5.8L, w/95frontclip, 6"Superlift/SuperRunner, Deaver J40 springs, 35x12.5 K&N, 3"Bassani
558 Posts
I sanded my top smooth and shot it with gloss black. I personally prefer the smooth top look and gloss. There is really no wrong way to go, its really personal preference. Both options will look correct in my opinion.

Reactions: BigBlue 94

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yo Preston,
Welcome!
It's your choice, original or body color glossy/ or flat, or textured and so on.
Painting info; 1 DO NOT use chemical stripper (I was stripping the entire truck) it's made of SMC(sheet molded compound) and the texture is sprayed on 2 Dont use a DA. You'll sand the splatter pattern off it 3 Scuff it with red scuff pads (3M) 4 Seal with epoxy primer (I used PPG DP-40) 5)Paint, but mix with the desired amount (25-30%) of flattening agent (PPG DX685 - this stuff is weird/smells bad but works; unshaken/unstirred it looks like a sticky golf ball soaking in what I perceive elephant *** would look like). Too much flattening agent and the top will become chalky after a few yews and too little makes it look funny (too glossy). My truck is the newer '98 Expedition white (paint code YZ maybe). I used PPG, DAU product line on this one. If you do this is how I mixed: Color (DAU)16oz; Hardener(DU2)16 oz; Flattener(DX685)10oz (up to 12); Reducer 1.5- 2 oz. The PPG DX685 Chart on the cut sheet is helpful on other PPG lines; Form P-162 (9/96)..."
Source: by j. r. Nice (J. R. N) at FSB

Here are the 1990 F Series/Bronco Pre-Delivery Shop & Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manuals (EVTM), Partial by member Kingfish999 in Google Drive (similar to your 91) @ 1990 Ford Truck service manuals - Google Drive
Slow scrolling for my slow Comcast Highest Cost Blast Internet..
Suggest you download the docs for faster scrolling and to use the page index.

1991 Bronco Dealer Brochure by Ford via via Dezo's Garage @

Haynes Red Manual for 80-95 Bronco & F Series @ Hanes guide 80-96 bko f series.pdf via member BroncMom

For any questions, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie section. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories that requires 50 non-padded posts to participate due to scammers who preyed on our members.

Our Forum FAQs includes for example, How To: Create your Signature; Upload Images To Posts, Search and more tips!

Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links)including, "how do I get the tailgate glass to...", etc

Try to find time to participate and vote in our next Full-Size of the Month Contest & later in the year, Full-Size of the Year Contest @ Voting
You will get ideas by those competing.
Prizes are awarded to Winner; a full spread in Bronco Driver Magazine is the top prize, in addition to a years subscription, once the article is submitted; and a years worth of premium FSB membership!

Al
Hi Al....thanks for the info. Good stuff here....

Reactions: miesk5

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
* Update4/15/21 * : Well....I decided to go with a 'Satin' finish for the hard top. They painted it gloss clear coat first and (to me) it didnt look correct so we re-did it in a satin. Below are the results. Thanks for everyone's input.

[/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
Looks great! Betcha can't wait to get 'er back.

·
Registered
1996 Ford Bronco XL
141 Posts
* Update4/15/21 * : Well....I decided to go with a 'Satin' finish for the hard top. They painted it gloss clear coat first and (to me) it didnt look correct so we re-did it in a satin. Below are the results. Thanks for everyone's input.

View attachment 178116 View attachment 178117
[/QUOTE]
It looks perfect!
Not sure if it’s a rude question, was it an expensive paint job? Or how much did you spend? We’d love to get ours painted and I’m assuming the price would be very expensive :(
I also think lame paint jobs look worse than older, faded, original paint so it’s a difficult decision. Do I get ours painted for a small price and hope for the best, or just live with what original paint we have? Tough decision

1 - 13 of 13 Posts