Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont want to take the top off of my '96 ever, but i was wondering, could I get away with cutting out the top of it and put in a giant window? like a moon roof? kinda stupid, but im just curious...

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,844 Posts
possibly, but the problem is that top does flex and may cause a leak. but give it a try, if it doesnt work those tops are easy to come by. any year from 80-96 fits so maybe even find an old one from a wrecking yard and ruin that one so your stock one stays nice

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,950 Posts
i think someone on here made a snap on "window" after he cut a hole in his hard top

·
Registered
21 Posts
remember that you seatbelts for the rear seats are integrated into the top(maybe why he doesn't want to take the top off). If it flexed enough to break some plexie, I wouldn't trust the integrety to hold some seatbelts.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't think the wind would create that much force, if the plexi is properly sized and mounted.

·
Registered
11,122 Posts
Gacknar said:
Why not?

What Bronco urban legend have you been told?

He heard that taking the top off takes you down to 2 mpg because of added drag. :toothless

·
Who needs oil anyways....
1,739 Posts
Gacknar said:
What Bronco urban legend have you been told?
Rain gutter cracks..... :shrug

·
Registered
75 Posts
Bronco4Life said:
He heard that taking the top off takes you down to 2 mpg because of added drag. :toothless
Its BS, actually the MythBusters on Discovery just debunked this urban legend recently....

edit: o I misread this.. I thought you said takes you down 2 mpg.. not takes you down TO 2mpg :p

blah

·
Registered
21 Posts
Steve83 said:
Ben
I caught some crosswinds in AZ that whipped the stock roof so hard I though it was gonna shatter. No way plexi could have stood up to it.

Bear in mind that this is what I'm talking about:
I just didn't think it would create that much force.

I figured if you were going to cut a hole in the top, say a 2'x2'. Take a piece of plexi that is the thickness of the top plus about a quarter inch. Make the plexi approx six inches wider(3" on each side). Mill out the 2'x2' so that it will fit flush in the top, the top would be smooth. Drill holes and use countersunk bolts(with allen tops) and sleeve the plexi. Add threads to the sleeves. Make sure you round the inside edge so you don't get cut.

Cut a gasket from neoprene or gortex, and I would put some clear silicone between the top and the plexi, and also on the topside.

I don't know how thick the tops are, but the plexi would probably be close to 3/8".

If it breaks it should just crack, not splinter.

Whats everyone elses thoughts?

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i dont want to take the top off because I dont want leaks and I dont have anywhere to put it. plus i thought that this idea might be kinda different.

·
FSB warrior
6,116 Posts
Se7eN said:
i dont want to take the top off because I dont want leaks and I dont have anywhere to put it. plus i thought that this idea might be kinda different.
Your never gonna move into a real house??? And they dont leak when you take off the top, hence the urban legend thing Gack was talking about

·
Registered
490 Posts
Steve83 said:
The fiberglass won't break, and the plex wouldn't break from body flex - it would break from the aerodynamics of a crosswind at hiway speed. That's why I added a roof rack to my camper - the little ribs in the middle keep the thin center part of the shell from whipping.
instead of plexi use lexan. you can pretty much bend that tip to tip without that breaking. i get that stuff for free since i work in a wood shop. hell i think i have some here. but no way in hell am i goign to cut a hole in my hardtop even though i have a spare or two. hehe ;-D

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
81bronk36, i am 17 and live with my parents in a good sized house with big yard and shed, but there is still no place to put it. Shed is full of gardening chit, and garage has junk on one side, and a camper on the other. Well, not to mention, since the bronc is still in his name, he doesnt want me taking off the top because there is no roll bar or anything to protect passengers... even if there aren't any. He just doesn't want me to take it off.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
Se7eN said:
Well, not to mention, since the bronc is still in his name, he doesnt want me taking off the top because there is no roll bar or anything to protect passengers... even if there aren't any. He just doesn't want me to take it off.
Ahh yes. I remember this vividly.
My Bronco was my 16th birthday preasent (in 1993). One of my dads many conditions was to never take the top off.

One day he went to bike week, I took the top off wile he was gone.
He got home from bikeweek two days early, the top was still in the front yard.

I think that was one of the scariest moments of my life.

I had two freinds with me in the Bronco as we came down the street. And there in the drivway sits my dads 74 Corvette stingray, motercycle traler and Harley still attached. He was sitting on the back of the trailer. As I pulled in the drivway he gave me the two finger wave to come over to him.
This is what followed.

Dad = Why is the top off the Bronco?

Gacknar = Dady, IT doesnt hurt anything to take the top off. It will not leak.
(The first time I ever looked him in the eyes when I was in trouble)

Dad = Son, It doesn't matter if it will leak or not. I told you not to do it. So why did you?

Gacknar = I just wanted to see what is what like to take the top off.

Dad = Put the top back on and take your freinds home. Your grounded for a week. You can drive the Bronco to and from school but thats it.

Gacknar = Yes sir.

Dad = Son, I'm not mad at you for taking it off. Im mad at you for going aginst what I say. Do you understand?

Gacknar = Yes.

Two years later he rode with me with the top off and loved it.

The Bronco is still in his name, but I have a court order saying it is to be transfered to my name whenever I like. I wone it from the divorce.

Basicly, if it it's in your dads name and he says dont take it off then dont.

But it will not leak, and there is a roll bar built into it. That is what the hump at the back of the cab, where it meets the top is. A roll bar.

·
FSB warrior
6,116 Posts
Makes sense, but why would he let you cut a hole in your top then???? That glass projectile is more dangerous then the lack of a top in the summer:thumbup

1 - 20 of 23 Posts