Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went to a shop today to inquire about some paint & prep options for painting the hard top

lots of folks on this board have said that they just used random rattle-can stuff and got some color back.

according to the dude at the shop, the only "right" way to do this is as follows:

1. strip the existing paint
2. prep with something called "Feather Fill" for fiberglass
3. then paint

after hearing this, i'm hesitant to just get up there and spray away.

any thoughts?

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
and what were they going to charge you for this service? a pretty penny i bet. hell you could take it to a boat shop and they will do a better job since they do fiberglass boats. but honestly the only part you can see is the sides, not the top. i guess it all depends on what you want to pay. why dont you do the top with some cheap rattle can. if you dont like it, you can have the shop strip it and re-do it for $500 if they will do it that cheap and i doubt that. just depends what you want to spend

·
Registered
604 Posts
Good point about the sides being the only visible part that will be seen. I only have a four inch lift and there is still no way anyone is really going to see the top of the hard top unless you are looking down on it from above (I also covered up most of my hard top with a roof rack).
I'd try it yourself by way of the rattle cans and see how you like it. I did mine last summer and the only prep work I did was washing it down real good. The top looks a whole lot better than the faded black that it had become. Try it yourself and then decide if you really want someone else to "do it right".

·
Registered
522 Posts
just spray it ...high heat paint or regular ..primer it first if you want ..ive sparyed mine and no probs at all.......

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Well, hes telling you the body shop way, and by every right, its the correct way. However, worse case if you were to rattle can to top, it too can be sanded off so your not going to do any damage.

I plan on spraying mine myself, just wash it and thats all the prep Ill do. If I decide to do it "right", I can do it any time in the future.

HTH...

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
i said this before, but i used MEAN GREEN mildew remover. your top will have mildew or mold on it but you may not see it due to the color. mine is tan so it was easy to spot. that cleaner did wonders. i thought it even said good for paint prep on the back of the bottle. thats all i did, sprayed it on and scrubbed it off. dont use cloth or paper towels. after i rinsed it good and let it dry overnight, covered so the birds didnt custom splatter paint it, i masked it off and painted it up. i bought 5 cans, used 4 and its smooth and even. you may want to check the seams and re caulk or seal them if needed before you paint.

welcome joe2feathers. your missing a

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
he wasnt actually offering a service....i was just asking how it would be done, and he was telling me what to buy.

i think if i plan to keep this truck i'd rather have it done right and look better, longer

·
Registered
522 Posts
axaviere said:
i said this before, but i used MEAN GREEN mildew remover. your top will have mildew or mold on it but you may not see it due to the color. mine is tan so it was easy to spot. that cleaner did wonders. i thought it even said good for paint prep on the back of the bottle. thats all i did, sprayed it on and scrubbed it off. dont use cloth or paper towels. after i rinsed it good and let it dry overnight, covered so the birds didnt custom splatter paint it, i masked it off and painted it up. i bought 5 cans, used 4 and its smooth and even. you may want to check the seams and re caulk or seal them if needed before you paint.

welcome joe2feathers. your missing a in your sig[/QUOTE]

IM confussed on that???Joe2

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Same here. Washed it well, scrubbed with a plastic Brillo pad and TSP, washed again, painted with two coats of Krylon flat. That was three years ago... no problems.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I painted my top yesterday.

The wife want's to head to the beach this weekend for Fathers Day and take our little ones with us. She won't let them ride in the back with the top off so before I put the top on I painted it. I used Krylon Flat Black and it came out great. $3.99 per can and it only took 3 cans. I'll post a pic tonight. I wouldn't waste your money when you can do it yourself.

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
how can 5 cans (in my case) add 75 pounds?

joe, in your signature, you have a link. the tag is missing

http://www.supermotors.org/getfile.php?id=121918&toggle=fullsize&f=.jpg

should be

·
Premium Member
10,513 Posts
that's just silly ... get a compressor, a paint gun and some light sanding and some krylon

save some money...think about it

look at my superford link .. I did mine and you can't even tell a year later :shrug

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
unless you dont have a compressor & a gun. $5 in paint from the dollar store, one afternoon, done. i wont spend $4 on krylon when this still looks good. but either way dont spend an arm & leg on getting your top done.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Why don't you just spray away first. Then, if you don't like the way it looks or it doesn't wear well for you, perform steps 1-3.

I sprayed mine last month with krylon. So far so good. :beer

guidogabriele said:
went to a shop today to inquire about some paint & prep options for painting the hard top

lots of folks on this board have said that they just used random rattle-can stuff and got some color back.

according to the dude at the shop, the only "right" way to do this is as follows:

1. strip the existing paint
2. prep with something called "Feather Fill" for fiberglass
3. then paint

after hearing this, i'm hesitant to just get up there and spray away.

any thoughts?

·
Building gold from crap
2,253 Posts
axaviere said:
how can 5 cans (in my case) add 75 pounds?

joe, in your signature, you have a link. the tag is missing

http://www.supermotors.org/getfile.php?id=121918&toggle=fullsize&f=.jpg

should be

check the link i gave :twak

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
lotsa pics, not to easy to tell what you did with no words. looks good. what materials do you use?

·
Registered
13,883 Posts
i agree rattle can it, if you dont like it do it pro then, i plan on rattle canning it myself at least for a quick fix

Cause as you can see my top needs a good painting, i just gotta get around to do it when I wont need my top and I can leave it somewhere that i dont have to worry about it, damn apt not having a garage

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,451 Posts
Dude, don't buy into the "I'm just a nice guy helping out" bit....he was telling you something long and drawn out just so you'd say "that's too much trouble will you do it for me" I asked a local painter (who has several awards from painting show cars, and also paints a few sponsered racing boats) he told me that I needed to use a green "brilo" pad (because of the texture on the roof...he said sand paper will sand some parts smooth and then you will spend a ton of time trying to match the rest of the top to it) I asked about primer and he said old paint (intact mind you...not all flaky and shit) is just as good or better than primer as long as it's preped right.
So basicly here how my guy said:

Clean with a good house hold cleaner (Mean Green like Axe said is fine...make sure to rinse it very well and let dry very good)

Sand all over with the green "brillo" pad.

Wash down with soapy water (to remove the sanding debri) let dry well

Paint

It seems like this is longer cause there's more steps, but have you ever tried stripping paint??? :banghead

In my case I used my compressor and gun like Damager...but tons of folks have had good results with spray paint....

I'm not knocking your guy, but if your gonna go through all that fancy prep work, are ya gonna build a spray booth to spray it in??? :shrug

P.S. I didn't just paint my top, I painted the stripe on the bottom of the body too...(see "project Trailrig" in "chit-chat/Picture post" :thumbup

1 - 20 of 45 Posts