Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone used jeep hood latches to make the hardtop a quick disconnect? If not can it be do e and be functional? What are some other options of making the top a quick disconnect?

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
15,632 Posts
Interesting idea. Though, I'm not sure why it would be needed. Without the interior panels in the back, you could use big c-clamps. I've seen pickup guys do that for camper shells.

If you plan on removing and reinstalling the top a lot over the course of the summer, just run without some bolts. On my 94 I ran with one bolt in each rear corner, then the five vertically along the cab. One on each corner is actually plenty, though you may see a couple little leaks in heavy rains.

If you have a 92+ that has security torx bolts for the topper, you can replace them with the standard hex bolts from 91 and back. But you also have to replace the nut clips on the body that they screw into. The torx bolts are metric thread. Or I suppose just get metric hex bolts to fit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting idea. Though, I'm not sure why it would be needed. Without the interior panels in the back, you could use big c-clamps. I've seen pickup guys do that for camper shells.

If you plan on removing and reinstalling the top a lot over the course of the summer, just run without some bolts. On my 94 I ran with one bolt in each rear corner, then the five vertically along the cab. One on each corner is actually plenty, though you may see a couple little leaks in heavy rains.

If you have a 92+ that has security torx bolts for the topper, you can replace them with the standard hex bolts from 91 and back. But you also have to replace the nut clips on the body that they screw into. The torx bolts are metric thread. Or I suppose just get metric hex bolts to fit.
I have an 86 bronco. I also live in florida, so heavy rains during the summer is almost daily. I suppose if I got new weather striping along with those bolts it might work. I'll give it a look into

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
15,632 Posts
An 86 will already have the easier, standard hex bolts.

Another thought, would be the camlocks used to hold the doghouse in, in 91-2013 econolines. That would be a bit cleaner than jeep hood hooks.

·
Addicted to Junk
15,632 Posts
Forgot, you could get shorter bolts. The factory ones are much too long

Reactions: Spence_A_R

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
37,925 Posts
I'd seriously consider a soft top... with location and conditions you describe.
I used to run 3 bolts all the time through the summer but sooner or later, someone has to figure out a better mousetrap.
Hope it's you... and you share it with us. ;)

Welcome to FSB

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd seriously consider a soft top... with location and conditions you describe.
I used to run 3 bolts all the time through the summer but sooner or later, someone has to figure out a better mousetrap.
Hope it's you... and you share it with us. ;)

Welcome to FSB
I honestly prefer the look of a hard top more, but I will definitely let everyone know if I figure something out! Thanks for your input my friend😁

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
37,925 Posts
I agree with your take. I am personally not a fan of the "can-back" soft-top design which seems to be the only soft-top that's survived the timeline and is still easily available. There used to be a fastback style that tickled my interest but custom made is the only avenue for that route these days.
Wish you all the luck with it. I keep hoping somebody with a deep knowledge of fittings and fasteners run across the issue. It shouldn't be very complicated to come up with something quick and simple but fabrication of some different type of anchor points would have to be integrated into the bed sides to replace the "nut-clips" we currently use, I would think.
We've had a few threads here and there on it over the years but unless I missed something, nobody's come up with a solid enough solution for everyone to embrace.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
as for now im looking at nutserts instead of the clips regular bolts and just packing my 18v impact.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,904 Posts
where can we get that security Torx to get the top off on the 92+ models? and what size is that torx

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,936 Posts
where can we get that security Torx to get the top off on the 92+ models? and what size is that torx
any of the parts stores will have bit kit that should have those in there..can't recall where I bought the last one, maybe harbor freight. I mainly got it for the hex head to remove my hub bolts, but it had the safety torx bits in there as well.

·
Premium Member
1981 Bronco, 4.9L, ZF5, NP208, Detroit Truetracs, 3.55 gears, 31" Wranglers front and rear
2,095 Posts
They're T-40. I got mine at Advanced Auto.

I don't know what the fuss is about a few bolts. They go in and out pretty quickly with a battery drill or such.

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0 M/T, 33's, 4.10 LSD
3,121 Posts
I don't know what the fuss is about a few bolts. They go in and out pretty quickly with a battery drill or such.
How do you do that without hitting the glass? A flex attachment?

·
Addicted to Junk
15,632 Posts
How do you do that without hitting the glass? A flex attachment?
Yup. Use a universal joint.

I have a fantastic idea for you, but it would be very labor intensive and expensive. Essentially replace all the bolts and nut clips with interrupted threads. Basically the bolt will have two 90° sections of thread removed, and as do the nuts. Bolt slides fully in and turns 1/4 turn to lock. Think of the way the bolt lugs lock in on a rifle, such as a Remington 700 or AR15.

You could make camlocks out of a bolt, but again, you'd be doing some serious bodywork on the bed rails.

Or maybe utilize Zeus fasteners they use for race car body panels.

·
Premium Member
1981 Bronco, 4.9L, ZF5, NP208, Detroit Truetracs, 3.55 gears, 31" Wranglers front and rear
2,095 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts