Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Surrounded by Assholes
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to get the damn thing off. I got the four smaller bolts out, but the large bolt in the middle wont budge. Im just rotating the crank whe I try to back it out. Any ideas??

·
Registered
213 Posts
Ya need to either get an impact wrench in there (basically impossible if radiator is in place) or find a way to lock the flywheel. I am assuming you have an auto trans? I usually get a buddy with a big honkin' screwdriver or prybar to wedge against the ring gear and the bellhousing while breaking the crank bolt loose with a breaker bar

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
If your careful, tapping on the wrench with a hammer will do the same thing an impact will do. All you need to do is move it 1/16 of a turn and you should be able to get it out the rest of the way without turning the crank.
It is difficult to do though, because you are probably going to need an extension on the rachet to do it. If you have a rachet with the flexible handle, you can move the tip of the handle exactally level with the head of the bolt and then the hammer will work good.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
Clamp the vise grips on Will

and let them contact the rest of the cover and crank away with the socket.

Guess you're standing up the GF tomorrow eh ?

Sixlitre

·
Who needs oil anyways....
1,739 Posts
The balancer pulley will come off without removing the crank bolt. Then you will have more room to maneuver in there.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Aikidoka said:
The balancer pulley will come off without removing the crank bolt. Then you will have more room to maneuver in there.
:stupid
The pully bolts to the balancer with the small bolts, the big bolt in the middle holds the balancer.

I always just shoved a screwdriver in one of the holes in the flexplate.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just had to deal with this, it may sound complicated but if you can follow what i am saying it really works well.
1. take off your balancer pully.
2. put about a 15mm open end through your balancer with it catching on the timing cover
3. put your ratchet on the crank bolt
4. put another wrench or ratchet through the box end of the wrench that you put through the balancer and have it go over the extentions that you need to use to get to the crank bolt
5. push down on both and the engine doesn't turn and eventully the bolt will

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
Maybe this'll help

Why yes that is a 24" bar, thank you for noticing

Sixlitre

p.s./
Note Princess Auto plumbing wrench

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Or get the breaker on the crank nut an give it a quick swift hit with a dead blow hammer once or twice. that should do. The crank pulley only needs the 4 bolts removed to comeoff. Just tap that whore with the dead blow and shell pop off.

·
Registered
528 Posts
After removing the pulley, put two longer bolts in the holes and use a pry bar to hold the balancer while you loosen the crank center bolt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts