Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Man of endless projects
9,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im finishing up doing my timing chain install and i jsut noticed that the keyway for the crank on the harmonic balancer is not inline with TDC. its more at the 25* BTC mark. is that normal or has it spun?

·
Registered
538 Posts
im finishing up doing my timing chain install and i jsut noticed that the keyway for the crank on the harmonic balancer is not inline with TDC. its more at the 25* BTC mark. is that normal or has it spun?
I dont know where the keyway is in comparison to the tdc mark, If you are saying that your at tdc and the pointer doesn't show tdc then i would say its possible but i would check to make sure the pointer didn't get bent before you pull it.

I don't know the answer to this so maybe someone else can chime in, Does it show tdc if its not on the compression stroke ?

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
If I was building a new engine again I would never choose to reuse the old balancer. they are just that old and will have a higher tendency to spin on the new engine.

but in saying that I do not know if the keyway is TDC #1 or not.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,526 Posts
If I was building a new engine again I would never choose to reuse the old balancer. they are just that old and will have a higher tendency to spin on the new engine.

but in saying that I do not know if the keyway is TDC #1 or not.
x2..I did that and it was a big mistake..in the grand scheme of an engine rebuild a new balancer is a small price to pay.

·
Man of endless projects
9,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i went to autoparts store and confirmed it with a new balancer that is how it is suppose to be and that mine is not spun. when i put it back on, then i realized that since the timing pointer is to the left and not perfectly verticle with the crank, that is how it is suppose to be. trucks all back together now and only needs some distilled water for the coolant to be done.

problem with buying a new one is that they apparantly dont sell replacements or are hard to find when it comes to a 96 cause my ballancer has a 4 point star for a crankshaft position sensor that other years dont have

1 - 5 of 5 Posts