Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While looking for axles and such the last couple days in the junk yards I stumbled across an F series truck with dual fuel tanks. The bed was off the truck and the dual tanks jumped out at me to catch my attention. Then I noticed the rear fuel tank looked like the one on the Broncoes while the front fuel tank was oriented differently and possibly different in capacity as well. I got to thinking it would be cool to have two tanks on a FSB. If only it were not for California regulations being so stringent I would be more inclined to have grabbed it right on the spot for a future second fuel tank mod.

·
Super Moderator
26,089 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks Miesk5. It is interesting to see what that guy did. I'm not interested in putting a fuel cell inside the cab though. Was just wondering if a factory F series tank had been added and what was required modification wise if so. I'll crawl under there and have a good look again to see what kind of room there is before I get all my Hope's up.
Is 32 gallons not enough?

Well let's see what my logic is. 32 + 20 is 52 gallons. In some places fuel can very greatly in price. So say at and extra .10 to .15 cents that could be an extra $5 to $8.00 in savings when refueling.

Let's admit it these things are not exactly fuel sippers either. When I head up in to the hills for some trail riding i'd like to know I'm good with back up fuel stored safely and usable at the flip of a switch ;) no pulling out the heavy Jerry cans etc. Now if I'm on a long cross country drive I would not have to stop and wait in lines as often to fuel up. Who remembers the long lines for fuel in the late '70's? '78 or '79? I think it would be a nice edition.

Very last reason I can think is this would be great for bug out purposes. Not likely I'd ever have to bug out but it never hurts to have something and not need it than to need it and not have it. Similar to a wench.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
13,235 Posts
Dual tank F series had two 17 gallon tanks. Ive owned 3 of em. And there is zero room for that long midship tank to fit in a bronco.

Then you would need a spot for the fuel tank selector switch, and the actual selector valve.

Reactions: N2 Bronco's

·
Registered
none :(
30 Posts
Personally I like the idea. With enough fabrication skills or pure money anything is possible. Or a combo of the two. Sounds like a custom job though. I doubt you will find a bolt in solution. Maybe pick up a tank and valve from junkyard and put it up in there on a jack and see if you could strap it in. Fabricate a crossmember to mount to that will miss the drive shaft and transfer case. Might need 2 crossmembers. The tank itself has the spots on it the straps go so it will show you where the crossmembers will need to be and whether its possible or not.

Good luck and post pics of how the tank looks under there even if you don't follow through with the idea im sure other people are reading this hoping you do it.

Bud

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'm sure I'm not the first to think of it. I started the thread more so out of curiosity. I'm thinking even if it was just an easy bolt in solution with a few added fabricated cross members, California Smog would fail the emissions test. There are remote places here in CA where one could pull it off as vehicles only have to be smogged once per new owner and never again. Then I'd be all over trying to make it work. I woulden't want to do it in a way that poses any explosion risks in any type of collision though. Safety first and foremost. Who remembers Pinto's exploding during rear end collisions.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If it could be done, the practical reason would be redundancy for fuel pump failure.
A very good reason I had not even thought of until you mentioned it. Thumbs up.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
13,235 Posts
Someone used to offer a 45 gal replacement tank for the Bronco... Not sure if its still around or not.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm sure I'm not the first to think of it. I started the thread more so out of curiosity. I'm thinking even if it was just an easy bolt in solution with a few added fabricated cross members, California Smog would fail the emissions test. There are romte places here in CA where one could pull it off as vehicles only have to be smogged once per new owner and never again. Then I'd be all over trying to make it work. I woulden't want to do it in a way that poses any explosion risks in any type of collision though. Safety first and foremost. Who remembers Pinto's exploding during rear end collisions.
Why would Cali fail it? As long as you tee into the charcoal canister or maybe add another because it may not be rated for that size of tank. Possibly look at the canister from the donor vehicle and cross reference part numbers and install the charcoal canister from the donor vehicle. If it's clean enough of an install they will be on their phones looking to see if they came like that lol. As long as it pressure checks good I don't see a problem but then again I don't live in California.

Bud

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
If you dont live in California and have never dealt with modding a car to change an engine from another vehicle into one that never came with the replacement then it's hard for anyone to understand how difficult if not near impossible to be compliant with smog regulations

·
Registered
30 Posts
From what I understand it needs to be a newer engine with stricter emissions standards and they all must be in place and working. By all means school me on this if I'm wrong or just kinda close. I'm kinda interested. Meanwhile we only have a safety inspection and it's a joke

Bud

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As I understand it, everything from exhaust to evap and such need to be located in the original locations from the donor vehicle when installed in the new vehicle with out modifications to exhaust etc. It is ridiculously stringent. I wanted to put an LS engine in my s10 extreme but after reading up on all that is required and no guarantees it would pass I scrubbed the idea. Also considered using and all wheel drive front axle from a Chevy astro van for all wheel drive like those found in the cyclone but scrubbed that idea as well. Ironically I saw a front AWD axle sitting on the ground under an AWD astro the other day.

Reactions: Bud bronc

·
Registered
1993 F150 XLT 302 Auto 4x4 2.5" Lift on 32's
111 Posts
Wait...the gas tank on a Bronco is 32 gallons and the, lets say, gas tank on a F150 short bed (6') is 17 gallons!? How the heck did the engineers at Ford say "Yep that makes sense". Sorry to slight derail, though if someone can explain that would be great...and if I can fit a Bronco gas tank in my F150.

·
Addicted to Junk
13,235 Posts
Wait...the gas tank on a Bronco is 32 gallons and the, lets say, gas tank on a F150 short bed (6') is 17 gallons!? How the heck did the engineers at Ford say "Yep that makes sense". Sorry to slight derail, though if someone can explain that would be great...and if I can fit a Bronco gas tank in my F150.
Because the pickup usually mounts the spare tire below the gas tank.

Yes, a 25 or 33 gallon bronco tank will replace your 17 gallon pickup tank just fine.

The midship tank is literally the size of three 5gallon buckets of paint, stacked on top of each other. Very inefficient use of space in a short vehicle. It just plain will not fit a bronco. If someone wanted to add capacity to a bronco, a pickup rear tank might fit tucked up below the rear seat, under the truck. I have a dual 2.5 gallon air tank there. A custom tank could definitely be made to fit there and probably add 10 gallons or so.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Cut out your rear floor and have a custom one made. Otherwise find a 45 gallon one isn't available anymore. It was a mod I already researched. Back in the day bronco graveyard and jcwhitney had them, but they're long gone.

·
Registered
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
2,371 Posts
The single tank in my 77 short bed truck is 19 gallons. It has a 302 which, relatively speaking, sips gas compared to my Bronco. I had a 75 F150 that had a factory 460 and it had dual tanks and I completely understand why. lol. That put total capacity to about 40 gallons as one tank was 19 and the other was 21.

There just really isn't a whole lot of space to work with under a Bronco to make any sort of tank swap/addition an easy feat. I've seen guys on FTE swap a 38 gallon tank via LMC into their dentside trucks, but you have to eliminate the under bed spare tire otherwise that thing sits about as low as the rear axle.

Here's a pic of one guy's setup on FTE with the 38 gallon tank. He did mount his spare under the bed and.. well.. like I said, the axle. I think his truck has a lift as well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts