Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anybody ever put jeep wagonner axles on a bronco its propely a stupid question but i was just wondering becouse i restore jeep wagoneers and can get them free all day long

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
acutually the axle are the same width if not a little bigger becouse they came stock with smaller tires then broncos therefore are wider to make the same stance

·
Registered
251 Posts
aren't wagoneer axles a lil weird......on our chief the 44 out front is revers of my broncos and it has a dana 44 in the rear too......kinda weird i always thought

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Is the front diff on the right side?

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
JDOGG said:
yeah pretty sure everthing lines up good
If you restore them, post some pics....I don't think they would work well width wise, I always thought they were passenger side diff, low pinion?? And they usually have a worthless D44 rearend, no where near strong enough to put under a bronco.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the year modle that i want them off of have driver side diff it was the 70 modles that have passenger diffs. and i know the rear diff is a really good one it has positrack

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Is the front diff high or low pinion? The rear axle wont hold up to the weigh of an FSB especially with bigger tires.

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
that doesnt mean its strong

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
JDOGG said:
well could they be regeared or what not to work
No... Basically you will break them. They arent as good as the stock axles on the Bronco in terms of form and function. If you're going to take the time to do an axle swap you may as well start with good components

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well what would u suggest i use that is the easiest to install or cheapest cost wise

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Start reading the solid axle swap threads there's a ton of info here just search for it. I'd like to do a D44 SAS and a 10.25 rear eventually.

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
Chebby 14 bolt, ya know 1 ton. as apposed to just over 1/4 ton.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
the front axel will work. Im pretty sure those wagoneers were leaf set-up(which you would know more about) Im gonna make the assumption however that the spring perches will need moved/replace for spring width( 2.5-3"???who knows) and the frame rail spacing. The front axel will work. Im assuming its a dana 44?. I dont see why it wouldnt work

The rear dana 44 is too small for a Bronco. Your truck weighs somewhere around 5000+ lbs. Thats alot for a less than half ton axel like that. The dana 44 rear will work for light jeeps(wranglers, cherokees) but not for the bronco. Actually if you started using that big wagoneer for off road the 44 would also be at its limit. The 8.8 is looking better then that d44 i the rear of a bronco.:banghead

Go with a 14bolt. it will require some light fabrication fr spring perches. But is a much better axel for the rear.

DC

·
Master Bater
7,277 Posts
DcSkater602 said:
the front axel will work. Im pretty sure those wagoneers were leaf set-up(which you would know more about) Im gonna make the assumption however that the spring perches will need moved/replace for spring width( 2.5-3"???who knows) and the frame rail spacing. The front axel will work. Im assuming its a dana 44?. I dont see why it wouldnt work
DC
Im just curious what you base your definitive "the front axle will work" on? Onlt to then follow it up with "Im pretty sure they are leaf" and "Im ASSuming its a dana 44" and last but not least "I dont see why it wouldnt work"

It sure sounds like you dont know what you are talking about to me. Sorry to be a dick, but arent you just WAGing (wild as guessing) cause you make it sound like everyone esle is worng, but then follow it up with doubts of your own. So you are probably giving bad, and important information to someone. Have you done an SAS to base all this on?

I dont know either, but IIRC, arent the waggys low pinion?
To answer the question of "what will work" you do realize this whole forum is for solid axle swaps right? id guess you could answer almost all your questions if you read first, asked later

·
I killed Kenny...again
3,258 Posts
later waggy 44's were driver drop, BUT they were low pinion. there is a jeep junkyard near my old house in statesboro, ga. and i would browse there looking for goodies. they had loads of waggy fronts, but they were all low pinion and didnt look very strong to me. they were leaf sprung, but they use 2.5" width springs

1 - 20 of 34 Posts