Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..getting rid of our ford steering box for a regular saginaw? thorough some searching its common for the jeep guys, and someone on pirate swapped his 78 f250 to a saginaw box but the link is old so it doesnt load

what are the benefits?
unlimited ratio options, different levels of assist readiliy avalible aftermarket steering (hydraulic ram) and elimination of using crappy parts store rebuilds bc our stock ford boxes are supposedly not well supported by aftermarket (according to agr's website).

i was looking at a lincoln steering box from an 89, it looks the same as ours.
then i went to crown vic p71 .com or something like that, and it showed that ford and saginaw boxes were used in the vic's and lincolns, and the only thing needed to change to the newer saginaw style( better road feel, better ratio) was the lower steering shaft or a different rag joint.

so has anyone done this?

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,742 Posts
Link to your info?

I see no reason to switch boxes. Ford used the same box in broncos, Fseries, Eseries, and other vehicles from 1980 to 1997, so they are available everywhere. If the sector shaft seal pops, it takes longer to remove the pitman arm than it does to change the seal. Its not difficult to rebuild the whole box, and its easily tapped for hydro-assist.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts