Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Bronco Brethren!

Has anyone out there installed a Double Din stereo on a 1986 to 1991 Bronco?

I have a Kenwood DNS 6180 that I would like to put in my 1988 Bronco, I know I would have to do some dremel work, but im not really sure if there is enough room between the ashtray and the hvac controls.

If anyone has some pics, or ideas please post!

Im even up to getting a flip down receiver. but I cant find a decent brand and I dont think the flip up will clear the hvac controls.

Thanks, Langley

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
You will need to build a custom console or redesign the dash.

You will lose the ashtray.

I have looked at this problem for a while and ended up just getting a nice single din radio and pairing it via Bluetooth to a Nexus 7 tablet for music and navigation

The nav in the Nexus 7 is great too and an internet connection is not required if you load the maps locally (I use Polaris and Maverick). It is nice to be able to tether to my phone if I do need connectivity for some reason though.

The factory head unit in my Toyota has navigation and I think I've used it 2 or 3 times. Tablet/phone navigation is superior and is always up to date without having to buy new maps.

I'm sure that with enough fabrication skills it could be done, but for the time and effort it would take you would be far better just buying a new head unit.

I too really wanted the Touchscreen controls, but the Nexus fulfills that desire nicely.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You will need to build a custom console or redesign the dash.

You will lose the ashtray.

I have looked at this problem for a while and ended up just getting a nice single din radio and pairing it via Bluetooth to a Nexus 7 tablet for music and navigation

The nav in the Nexus 7 is great too and an internet connection is not required if you load the maps locally (I use Polaris and Maverick). It is nice to be able to tether to my phone if I do need connectivity for some reason though.

The factory head unit in my Toyota has navigation and I think I've used it 2 or 3 times. Tablet/phone navigation is superior and is always up to date without having to buy new maps.

I'm sure that with enough fabrication skills it could be done, but for the time and effort it would take you would be far better just buying a new head unit.

I too really wanted the Touchscreen controls, but the Nexus fulfills that desire nicely.
Thanks for the input! I hadn't thought of going in that direction. what head unit did you put in the Bronco? and do you have a cradle for the tablet? I like the idea for the maps on the tablet that way you can load USFS maps to use off road.

Thanks for the response!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts