Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 302 has 135k on it. And the oil is clean, no taps..but i would like to see if I can clean the engine out anyhow. just to make sure the pick up screen....etc. Are cleaned out. this is supposed to break stuff down and dissolve it, instead of just breaking stuff down, and moving it around.
Has anyone tried this, or know of anyone that has?

http://www.auto-rx.com/

-

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm curious about this as well for a 351w with 209k. I did some googling and so far it is reviewed like every other similar product. 50% hate it/ think its a waste, 50% swear by it. I'd like to know what the general opinion here is.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I keep looking at it, and want to order it. I am worried since mine runs so nice, that I will end up screwing something up. I know it sounds like a miracle thing. Just wondering.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Yeah, I keep looking at it, and want to order it. I am worried since mine runs so nice, that I will end up screwing something up. I know it sounds like a miracle thing. Just wondering.
there is a Saying.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it:rofl:

just stick to a synthetic, or regular oil changes on time and change it when its warm and it will eventually clean itself out

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there is a Saying.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it:rofl:

just stick to a synthetic, or regular oil changes on time and change it when its warm and it will eventually clean itself out
Yes, I am afraid of ruining a good thing. I was just asking, due to buying mine recently, and not knowing how the first 135k on it was treated. I am probably just being paranoid.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I add 1/2 can of seafoam to the crankcase right before an oil change .
Warm up engine to operating temps .
Shut off.
Fill 1/2 can of seafoam into crank case .
turn on and idle (only) for 15 minutes
Shut off
Drain oil and remove oil filter.
Replace filter with new and add fresh oil .
Walla

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I add 1/2 can of seafoam to the crankcase right before an oil change .
Warm up engine to operating temps .
Shut off.
Fill 1/2 can of seafoam into crank case .
turn on and idle (only) for 15 minutes
Shut off
Drain oil and remove oil filter.
Replace filter with new and add fresh oil .
Walla
i believe you can use ATF to, but not 100% sure

also keep in mind if you do have sludge in you engine, that auto-rx could cause leaks if you have a bad seal

·
Registered
'88 XLT. 2" lift, 3G, Saginaw Pump, Headers, High flow 3" cat, 3" exhaust, 6 litre tune, K&N
188 Posts
You can use a quart of tranny fluid as a cleaner since it has a detergent in it. An old mechanic once told me that they sometimes put diesel in the crankcase for a very short time, as it will clean out all the crud and can reseat the rings on a low compression motor. If the rings are bad enough and there is a lot of blow by it can ignite the diesel in the crankcase, so he didn't recommend it.

Eliminating sludge is usually not a good thing on a high mileage motor. You will commonly develop new leaks, like front main and rear main or pan gasket. That crud in there was preventing the leaks. Also all that crusty dirty crud gets dissolved and is run through all your bearings for awhile. That can't be good.

If it ain't broke don't mess with it.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Do not use an engine flush of any kind. There is no upside to using one.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
i don't believe that guy was changing his oil every 3k in the website/advertisement. sludge build-up with 3k oil change intervals??? kinda sketchy.

Tony, if you want to clean out your engine, substitute 1 quart of atf for the oil. so on your next oil change use 5 quarts of oil, and 1 quart of ATF. just use the cheapest atf you can find.

if you do, just watch your oil (i'm sure you do already) and keep an eye to see if it gets dirty faster. if it's usually black at 3k, but with the atf it is black at 1,000 miles, change it.

and so on.

shit, if you want, you can run the 5qts oil/1qt atf for the rest of your time with the bronco. it won't hurt anything. friend of mine (old man) did that with all his cars for 30 years. never had an ounce of sludge or engine trouble in his life.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Everybody has an opinion. So here is mine. I use Mobil one and there is never any sludge. I bought a Bronco once with about 200k miles on it and put M1 in it against advice you may see on this site. While driving up I-81 to NJ the oil light came on and press went to nothin. I would stop for a few minutes, then start up and continue on. I stopped and started four times and decided to call my favorite mechanic. He knew I used M1 so he said go to a service station and have them put a thin oil in it. He correctly figured out that the M1 had loosened up the sludge and clogged the oil pickup screen. The thin oil solved my problem and I think I changed oil 3 more times before I put M1 back in it. That was enough evidence for me that M1 cleans an engine.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys for all the input. Maybe I better leave it alone. I did hear a lot of folks using atf. I never tried that yet.
Also, I have a friend that used to use mobil 1 for years, and swore by it. He never had an issue.
When I had my emissions done when I bought my Bronco, the guy told me that 302's had problems with the pistons being thin, and the pick up screens clogging. So he actually just caused me to be paranoid.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
Thanks guys for all the input. Maybe I better leave it alone. I did hear a lot of folks using atf. I never tried that yet.
Also, I have a friend that used to use mobil 1 for years, and swore by it. He never had an issue.
When I had my emissions done when I bought my Bronco, the guy told me that 302's had problems with the pistons being thin, and the pick up screens clogging. So he actually just caused me to be paranoid.
just put the mobil1 in it with a quart of atf. that engine will be clean within 5 oil changes.

the oil will probably get dirtier, faster, so make sure you keep an eye on it.

and get a good filter while your doing this to help catch the snot. i like the purolator gold line-up.

as i'm sure you've read here before, stay AWAY from fram.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
just put the mobil1 in it with a quart of atf. that engine will be clean within 5 oil changes.

and get a good filter while your doing this to help catch the snot. i like the purolator gold line-up.

shoot ive ran mobile 1 for years, its cleaning the 116k(already starting to tun colors at 3k milles)from my CR-V as we speak and on my old 06 f150(bought new, 4.2l V6, sold it now) i switched it at 25k(reqular motorcraft blend oil til then) and it cleaned that motor good, I could tell by the nice soot deposit on my rear bumper it left(went away after 10k miles,sold it at 60k miles and no soot on the bumper).

will say even with sythetic, it will test your gaskets(by its cleaning effect), its costed me an oil pan gasket so far on my CR-V

·
Chillin on the Gulf Coast
1,596 Posts
A friend of mine was using a similar product on his car and I took a look at the stuff. It smelled like a mixture of atf and nitro gun solvent. I know that gun solvent is great for removing the carbon fouling in a gun bore/barrel so I bet it would clean the shit out of your motor. Not sure I would run it every oil change though.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I just started using Purolator. I used Fram for years, and was not happy with a few of the filters I had gotten. Thought it was just me! Then the local advance quit carrying the fram product completely, and switched to Purolator. I just changed oil, I need to drain a qt. and throw some merc3 in i have up the garage.

shoot ive ran mobile 1 for years, its cleaning the 116k(already starting to tun colors at 3k milles)from my CR-V as we speak and on my old 06 f150(bought new, 4.2l V6, sold it now) i switched it at 25k(reqular motorcraft blend oil til then) and it cleaned that motor good, I could tell by the nice soot deposit on my rear bumper it left(went away after 10k miles,sold it at 60k miles and no soot on the bumper).

will say even with sythetic, it will test your gaskets(by its cleaning effect), its costed me an oil pan gasket so far on my CR-V
I used castrol syntec on my wifes car. And all of a sudden, it began having oil leaks. I traded the car in anyhow. "Not for that reason".

A friend of mine was using a similar product on his car and I took a look at the stuff. It smelled like a mixture of atf and nitro gun solvent. I know that gun solvent is great for removing the carbon fouling in a gun bore/barrel so I bet it would clean the shit out of your motor. Not sure I would run it every oil change though.
Wow, I use enough gun solvent. I don't know if I want something that smells like that in my motor. I should fill my crankcase with Hoppes No.9, and then drain! Bet that cleans!....:rofl:

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
just swap on another filter and top off with ATF. if you have the large filter, it's a 1qt capacity. that's what i'd do instead of dealing with the big mess of pulling the drain plug, not knowing how much you really drained out, and then dealing with the mess of putting the drain plug back in while you still have full force oil flow.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I have never heard this, it is definitely not true....I think the emissions guru is hitting the crack pipe behind the shop.

Leave the synthetic oils to the high performance crowd. There is no benefit to running a synthetic on a stock to mild bronco engine. Run a good quality dino oil/filter and change it on a regular basis. If you really want to reduce friction and help your engine out, run a bottle of zinc additive at every oil change. The comp cams is what I prefer:

http://www.compperformancegroupstor...vc?Store_Code=CC&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=159

Again, an engine flush of any kind is a bad idea. These do work and will loosen sludge....usually depositing it in your oil pump pickup tube.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts