Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched the forums but not turned up much. Most of the comments are all about plugging holes in the ducts, or cleaning out the box. My box is pretty clean and the duct work ain't bad. I just want to get more cold air blowing harder through the vents.

Does anyone know of a newer motor that works in our 90's era FSBs?

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
My box is pretty clean
i know im being immature but this was funny to me

·
Premium Member
4,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, it actually works fine. It holds a charge well, My only issue is I have a small leak in the Vac line that needs to be replaced. It does occasionally switch to the defrost vent but decelerating a little switches it right back. I really need to tint my windows and get a headliner for it to help protect from the heat buildup inside. Having the basic Vinyl interior with no real insulation in it, the heat just builds up and the seats tend to get pretty warm during the summer time. When my FIL ordered that Bronco, he wanted something he could take fishing, drive to the mines for his job, etc and be able to clean out easily. Creature comfort wasn't really an issue for him. I would say, compared to the newer vehicles, it does take a long while to really cool off but with short trip drives of 10 miles or less in those vinyl seats, you're pretty wet by the time you get there.

I've just been curious now that it's getting so hot here in Florida. There's so many things we can get that are interchangeable for the better in our Broncos like the Saginaw pump, 3G Alt, etc. I was wondering if anyone had come across a fan/motor combo from something else that worked better.

·
Registered
710 Posts
It sounds like something is wrong with yours. Mine really pushes some air, it'll freeze you in the summer and burn you up in the winter.

Maybe your valves aren't completely closing so some of your AC is going to your heat/defrost channels. Or maybe your motor is just worn out.

In any case, if you want it to be better it would not be hard at all. First you will have to pull the motor (blower motor not truck motor:haha). When you get it out, it will have written on it the amperage and volts as well as RPM ratings.

Look how it mounts up, you should be able to pretty easily find another 12 volt variable speed motor, check ebay. find one with a little more oomph. Of course then you'll have to replace fuses and any relays that it needs, your wiring should be able to handle it as long as you don't get carried away.

if you have to you can make another mounting plate with some plywood to actually mount the motor to the housing.

it wouldn't be terribly difficult to do.

but as stated earlier, your motor might just be messed up, or your valves for the ducting might not be closing all the way, mine works like a champ and I've never heard a complaint about it before.

If you want a little extra AC, check out the 12 volt accessory AC systems that they make for classic cars, I've put several of those into my restorations.

·
Premium Member
4,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know my units' OK, the thermometer I stick in it stays around 40-50* no problem. It's just that I have alot to overcome during Florida summers. It's already hitting 100* in the sun. You can literally fry and egg on a dashboard here sometimes. On a long trip, it'll cool down and not be an issue. It's the short trips in town that drive me nuts.

I also worry a little about what I'll do once my big tank of R12 runs out in a few years. Does the 134a retrofits really work as well as the R12 did in these older units since they aren't originally designed for it?

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Get a cab and removable roof headliner.

It takes a lot more than a "Retrofit Kit" to convert to 134a, but it is not that hard. Expect to pay $200-$400 to do it yourself properly.
(That includes a manifold gauges and a vacuum pump)

·
Premium Member
4,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I 'm pretty much set as far as doing a conversion when that time comes. My Father is an old school Electrician who also had refrigeration as part of the curriculum and my FIL used to have his own A/C business years ago and still has all his pumps and such. That's how I lucked out and still have access to a large can of R12 that's hardly ever been used. Also all the gauges to do it properly.

It'll be a few years before I have to convert anything. It still holds it's charge pretty well. I was just wondering, with all the updated equipment that fits older model vehicles, if there wasn't something that blew better than the stock 92 Bronco Blowers?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts