Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

What is the length from the back of the back seat, tumbled forward to the inside of the tailgate? (usable cargo length)

Can you carry a 6ft long, 200 lb load with out damaging the tailgate as it lays flat?

I am specifically interested in the last model run '92 - '96.

Thanks!

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0 M/T, 33's, 4.10 LSD
3,341 Posts
I assume you don't have a Bronco of your own to measure?

The tailgate alone is rated at ~600 lbs, so a 200 lb load with two-thirds of its weight over the bed would be no problem whatsoever.

With the back seat out, there's basically 6' of length with the tailgate up. That goes down a foot or so with the seat in place and tumbled forward, as the seat won't fold down flat. Not sure exactly, as I ditched my rear seat long ago.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
With the back seat lying flat, I've put 4'x8' sheets of plywood in the back. With the sheets up against the back of the front seats, the sheets extend across the tailgate, but not past the end of it. My '96 has the inside spare, and with the tire off the inside carrier 4'x8' sheets fit fine.
If you have an outside spare you'll have to rig something to keep the spare from swinging around and ripping the fender or banging into the tailgate. The few times I had to use my '94, with the outside spare, I took the tire/wheel assembly off and laid it on top of the load, and then bungee corded the tire carrier to whatever I could.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
With the back seat lying flat, I've put 4'x8' sheets of plywood in the back.
Do you have to move the front seats forward? My rear seat didn't want to fold flat...not enough room in front.

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
I dont think so as the tailgate is NOT made to be down while driven. A good amount of time the rear bumper gets bent upwards and the tailgate panel hit the bumper pad ripping off the plastic panel on the tailgate panel. I would buy a 8' bed pickup instead or a 12-16' utility trailer.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,740 Posts
Above on the trailer is good advice.
Also not sure if have seen them, but a rack which uses the trailer hitch to extend the bed may work well. This would keep the load off the gate, and also give you place to secure swinger too. Maybe even make something that holds gate up as well as I have also seen this on several Broncos. It is like the straps like to stretch as well.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Do you have to move the front seats forward? My rear seat didn't want to fold flat...not enough room in front.
If you have the original rear seat (and original front seats), it will fold flat. Driving with the tailgate open is not a problem, especially if you have a load on it. The check straps will keep the tailgate from over opening, and the load will keep the tailgate from bouncing. I've driven hundreds of miles with the tailgate open with everything from ladders to sheet rock in the bed.

Reactions: canuckistan97

·
Registered
95 5.8L MAF XLT, Hedman Shorties/MF SS Y & Muff, E4OD, Man hubs, KYB Quads, 31x10.5x15, 304K miles
1,388 Posts
There are 2 Latches that need to be activated to fold the rear seat forward and up against the front seat backs. First on the Passenger side of the rear seat in the rear back bottom corner there is a little latch lever to fold the seat back forward and down onto the seat bottom that is position 1, then there is the rear Large center Latch to fold the Whole rear seat Assy up and forward up against the front seats, you might have to slide your front seats forward a little if they are all the way back, and from this position you can remove the Pins that Anchor the rear seat to the floor then remove the Whole rear set assy from the vehicle.

You shouldn't have any problem driving the vehicle with the tailgate down unless you have the Rear Tire Carrier. All the weight will be distributed (if it is a uniform load) with the majority on the 6 feet of bed length being there is only 2 feet of tailgate length, unless you are talking about 12 foot lengths and then whatever the total weight is for the load.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
you might have to slide your front seats forward a little if they are all the way back
That's probably what I was running into. Didn't seem like there was enough room to fold flat, and repositioning the front seats to do so was not something I would ever consider a practical step.

·
Registered
95 5.8L MAF XLT, Hedman Shorties/MF SS Y & Muff, E4OD, Man hubs, KYB Quads, 31x10.5x15, 304K miles
1,388 Posts
That's probably what I was running into. Didn't seem like there was enough room to fold flat, and repositioning the front seats to do so was not something I would ever consider a practical step.
Just to make myself clear incase there is any miscommunication; the only reason to Slide the front seats forward a little is to allow the rear seat assy to fold all the way forward and then you can Slide your front seats back to where they were.

·
Premium Member
1995 XLT SAS w D44 and D60 rear
3,645 Posts
the fold down back seat will NOT get flat no matter where you put the front seat. With it in place (folded) there is maybe 4.5 feet of space also be aware that the tailgate slants in about 3 or so inches so what you have room for on the floor you do ot at the top of the gate. You also need to be careful about putting tall items in the center where the handle is if you cannot move them a bit it is very hard to get the handle to open the gate. Ask me how I know.😮

Just measured. From the back of the seat when folded and rolled forward to the bottom of the gate is ~55" From the back edge of the console it is 73.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
the fold down back seat will NOT get flat no matter where you put the front seat.
Vindicated!

You also need to be careful about putting tall items in the center where the handle is if you cannot move them a bit it is very hard to get the handle to open the gate. Ask me how I know.😮
Been there, done that. I stuffed 9 or 10 carpet rolls in the back once...broke a rib getting a running start to close the tailgate and impaled myself on the tire carrier bracket...then realized I had quite a chore releasing the handle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.