Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i used the search bar before doing this but just want to clear up a few things. i am about to be purching a 3 inch body lift so i cant fit my friends 37s that he mabe selling to me. i already have 4 inch btw. so i was curious what kinda gearing i should put in. i have 33 now with stock gearing. i used my truck as an everyday driver and was thinking about keeping the 33s on just for driving around to save gas and put on the 37s when i wanna have fun. i found this on a thread but wasnt sure if it fit a dailly driver.

37" tire, 4.56 gears, 116.2" circ, forward 25.5", identical to stock (within error)
37" tire, 4.88 gears, forward 23.8", about 9% less than stock.

any ideas would be great thanks!

a;so getting new gears would this help my gas miledge? because i may just keep the 37s on and not always switch to the 33s if that makes since.

·
Registered
44 Posts
just hack the fenders and slip the tires under there.:goodfinge

i personally wouldnt go as far as 37's on a daily driver but.. Bigger is Better

:thumbup

as far as gearing goes.. if you must, just do a SAS/1ton conversion with axles that already have some 4.10's

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
just hack the fenders and slip the tires under there.:goodfinge

i personally wouldnt go as far as 37's on a daily driver but.. Bigger is Better

:thumbup

as far as gearing goes.. if you must, just do a SAS/1ton conversion with axles that already have some 4.10's
not true.

and

thats not a "just" conversion.its a huge project

·
Registered
415 Posts
From what I've been told, the TTB doesn't like anything larger than 35" tires. The 8.8 wouldn't either. That's a huge jump to have fun. You'd have to regear to use the 37"s or you'll destroy your tranny. Properly geared axles will allow reasonable gas milage. Keep in mind, you're lifting a brick. If you wanted to use it for off roading and wanted to do 37"s, I'd do a SAS for sure, and you'd probably have to get a 6 inch lift. Please, please, please correct me if any of my information is wrong. Thanks!

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,968 Posts
Here's a couple of good calculators:

Gear Ratio Calculator -Very cool calculator at grimmjeeper.com. Enter trans, t-case & tire info for a side by side comparison of ratios, crawl & highway speeds/RPMs.
Miata.net Tire Size Calculator (older version) -Adjust tire sizes until the calculator matches your original & new tire diameters to see the speed differences.

·
Registered
293 Posts
i have 33 now with stock gearing. i used my truck as an everyday driver and was thinking about keeping the 33s on just for driving around to save gas and put on the 37s when i wanna have fun. the 37s on and not always switch to the 33s if that makes since.
7 inches of lift and 33's would look funny... Just get some 35's and call it a day

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Swapping 33's and 37's on a regular basis will almost guarantee you'll be unhappy part of the time. With an OD tranny, I would run at least 4.88's with the 37's, 4.56's with the 33's. 4.88's may be a good compromise depending on how much highway driving you do.

Oh, and screw the 3" body lift. Throw on the 37's and trim off whatever hits. If you need more clearance, do it right and do a suspension lift.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
From what I've been told, the TTB doesn't like anything larger than 35" tires. The 8.8 wouldn't either. That's a huge jump to have fun. You'd have to regear to use the 37"s or you'll destroy your tranny. Properly geared axles will allow reasonable gas milage. Keep in mind, you're lifting a brick. If you wanted to use it for off roading and wanted to do 37"s, I'd do a SAS for sure, and you'd probably have to get a 6 inch lift. Please, please, please correct me if any of my information is wrong. Thanks!
Pretty much every statement in here is wrong. There may be individual instances to back up what you say, but on average, in my experience, it's all wrong. You have to be careful about believing a lot of what you hear.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Pretty much every statement in here is wrong. There may be individual instances to back up what you say, but on average, in my experience, it's all wrong. You have to be careful about believing a lot of what you hear.
I believe that the general consensus is that anything over 35s is a no no.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.