Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, I've read through about 50 different threads and still have some questions.
a) I am unable to get to a junkyard, I am going to need to simply buy everything that I need from online/store.
b) truck is my 86 w/ 351W.
c) current pump is leaking, so there is some urgency to this.

first question, I've read that the '80+ saginaws had a 3/4" press shaft, while earlier had a 5/8" keyed. Does it matter?
Bracketry, best I can figure is to pull something from the mustang world, was looking at this maybe? open to suggestions.
Borgeson Power Steering Pump Bracket Saginaw 289/302/351W 1965-1970

I can order a pump for a mid 80s E-van, such as this:
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...12153/6644514/1982/ford/e-250-econoline?pos=1

but I cannot locate anything regarding pulleys. Is the pulley on my stock PS pump swappable to the saginaw?

I believe I have the info I need on what hoses are needed, so no issues there, as of yet.

I understand that pulling the pump from a van of 80-86 nature w/ the 351W would be ideal, but it is not very feasible for me at this time, and it is cheaper for me to just order the parts new or reman than to try to locate them at a JY.

I am open to suggestions or recommendations on better sources for this, on the pump, the brackets, pulleys, etc.

maybe this would be the better option?

I found this kit on a few sites and one of them said it will not work for 80+ motors due to the water pump inlet being on driver side?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the only things I am seeing there are for 351M/400

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
You need a 83-86 v belt saginaw off a 5.0/5.8W

I'm unsure if the 80-83 351M/400 would work on the Windsors. Also unsure if the Borgeson 802409 has any installation problems on the v belt engine.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I was told at my local yard that they didn’t have any Saginaw pumps on anything that would fit my Bronco... while I was cruising around the yard looking for parts on my wish list, I found a Van that had a 351w and sag pump... I grabbed the pump, hoses and bracket... took it up to the counter and was charged 25 bucks...

The reason the yard told me they didn’t have the parts... they knew I needed a higher volume pump then the one I found... but not having the volume and pressure I was looking for wasn’t a big deal since I had a GM pump to drop into the Ford Ham Can.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,377 Posts
Check with @BigBlue 94 he has some earlier brackets sometimes.
I only have 2, a bracket only for a 300 and one for a SBF. It is for a York AC and is dependant on that york bracket which i do have. I think its the one I pulled from a 2wd 73 f100 with a 302.

Pullies are specific to engine displacement. You need one from a 302 or 351 from the 80s vans.

Lines just need to be from an econoline of your year and engine type. V8s all use the same pressure hose.

I just checked the 6 local JYs and the oldest econoline was 88. The 86 and back are getting rare.

Reactions: GetBent4x4

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,377 Posts
That looks like half the bracketry needed. The factory setup cradles the pump, front and back, and has the pictured bracket that attaches it to the WP.

This is what you need. It says 460, but a spacer is the only difference between mounting it on a 460 and SBF. 2" long for the 460 and 1" long for the SBF.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That looks like half the bracketry needed. The factory setup cradles the pump, front and back, and has the pictured bracket that attaches it to the WP.

This is what you need. It says 460, but a spacer is the only difference between mounting it on a 460 and SBF. 2" long for the 460 and 1" long for the SBF.

you don't have any for sale by chance huh?

·
Addicted to Junk
16,377 Posts
Only the ugly York AC version. And i would have to make sure it wasnt from a 351M

That first pulley you link looks almost exactly like the SBF pulley. But I cant be 100% sure. Bore size, pulley diameter, and pulley setback are important to get right

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Only the ugly York AC version. And i would have to make sure it wasnt from a 351M
you mean what I linked would only work with a york style AC, not the sanden unit?

·
Addicted to Junk
16,377 Posts
you mean what I linked would only work with a york style AC, not the sanden unit?
No no, the only v-belt V8 saginaw brackets I have only work with the York AC

That pulley you linked looks correct for a SBF is what i was saying.

·
Addicted to Junk
16,377 Posts

·
Addicted to Junk
16,377 Posts
Only this one. The top left portion is the York mount.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry, I've read through about 50 different threads and still have some questions.
a) I am unable to get to a junkyard, I am going to need to simply buy everything that I need from online/store.

first question, I've read that the '80+ saginaws had a 3/4" press shaft, while earlier had a 5/8" keyed. Does it matter?
Bracketry, best I can figure is to pull something from the mustang world, was looking at this maybe? open to suggestions.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...12153/6644514/1982/ford/e-250-econoline?pos=1

but I cannot locate anything regarding pulleys. Is the pulley on my stock PS pump swappable to the saginaw?

I believe I have the info I need on what hoses are needed, so no issues there, as of yet.

I understand that pulling the pump from a van of 80-86 nature w/ the 351W would be ideal, but it is not very feasible for me at this time, and it is cheaper for me to just order the parts new or reman than to try to locate them at a JY.

I am open to suggestions or recommendations on better sources for this, on the pump, the brackets, pulleys, etc.

I found this kit on a few sites and one of them said it will not work for 80+ motors due to the water pump inlet being on driver side?
View attachment 170839

View attachment 170839
Why? A stock Ford steering pump simply fits and works. For a long time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.