Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just got home about a month ago. My wife bought my Bronco for me while I was deployed. While I was gone a buddy came by and put Stabil in the tank and disconnected the battery. Well long story short I am leaving here real soon for another 6 months and I plan on doing the same thing. Any other suggestions to prep it to sit for so long?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Spray some fogging oil into each cylinder and into the intake th this will prevent rust and make for a easier start when you return home.

·
Premium Member
4,792 Posts
park it on concrete, preferable in a garage with the battery cables removed. Make sure all the windows are up and it's locked. Vacuum the interior, get all the food out so you dont attract mice. Put the correct amount of stabilizer in the fuel. When you get back, turn the motor over for 20-30 seconds before firing it up. You can just unplug the coil and try starting it, that will be good enough for turning it over.

Oh and make sure the coolant won't freeze during the winter. ie a proper mix.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
When I winterize my boat, I pull the batteries out and put them in the basement where they won't freeze. A fully charged battery won't freeze, but one that's discharged (or partially discharged) will freeze. It's cheap insurance.

Be careful on your deployment, and we appreciate your service (US Army, 1967-1969)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well I just got home about a month ago. My wife bought my Bronco for me while I was deployed. While I was gone a buddy came by and put Stabil in the tank and disconnected the battery. Well long story short I am leaving here real soon for another 6 months and I plan on doing the same thing. Any other suggestions to prep it to sit for so long?
THANK YOU FOR SERVING! Be Safe!!

·
Premium Member
1995 XLT SAS w D44 and D60 rear
3,544 Posts
When I winterize my boat, I pull the batteries out and put them in the basement where they won't freeze. A fully charged battery won't freeze, but one that's discharged (or partially discharged) will freeze. It's cheap insurance.

Be careful on your deployment, and we appreciate your service (US Army, 1967-1969)
If you do that do not put it on a concrete floor something about the concrete leaches the S out of a battery. You should be good with stabile in the gas just mack sure you run it long enough to get it into all the fuel system .

Again THANK YOU!!!!

·
OMF
2,957 Posts
It might be but I have lost a couple of good RV batterys on my garage floor. They do fine when stored on a shelf.
It has to do with older batteries that were made of a different case material, those were affected by moisture in concrete.

·
Registered
75 Posts
park it on concrete, preferable in a garage with the battery cables removed. Make sure all the windows are up and it's locked. Vacuum the interior, get all the food out so you dont attract mice. Put the correct amount of stabilizer in the fuel. When you get back, turn the motor over for 20-30 seconds before firing it up. You can just unplug the coil and try starting it, that will be good enough for turning it over.

Oh and make sure the coolant won't freeze during the winter. ie a proper mix.
this make sure the stabil is the proper amount

1 - 13 of 13 Posts