Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so on my 1995 Ford Bronco 5.0 E4OD, I was driving home from from work and all of a sudden the truck started shifting super hard, it is very noticeable on the first few gears. I parked the truck as soon as I got home and when I got back in later that evening I noticed I didn't have any lights inside the truck, the dome light, overhead console lights, gauge cluster backlights, and A/C control back lighting were all not coming on. Neither was the door open door chime, the odometer or speedo working.The overdrive light would blink consistently. The Overhead console display worked and the Tachometer worked. The ABS light is on but it has been on since i swapped gauge clusters about a year ago. I was wondering if yall could get me started in the right direction of finding the issue(s).

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
9,041 Posts
When you have multiple electrical items all acting up at the same time, I think it's a good idea to check grounds, starting at the battery, & working your way from connection to connection. Hopefully @miesk5 will drop in with an appropriate diagram to locate those points. I suppose it could be a hot side issue, but usually when multiple systems are affected it seems that a ground failure is involved.

As for the shifting, speedo, & blinking OD light, those are symptoms of something wrong in the circuit that includes the VSS in the rear axle. If you had those symptoms alone, I'd say start there, but since you have those other symptoms, it seems more likely to be a broader issue with electrical connections that affect multiple systems.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Check the fuse for the dome lights. It also controls the speedometer and if the speedometer isn't working it will cause the trans to shift hard.

I learned this by having pulled the dome light fuse to keep from draining the battery while working inside. Went to drive and no speedometer and hard shifts. Reinstall fuse and all was well.

·
Super Moderator
29,405 Posts
Yo Ranger,
PSOM & Odometer Not Working & E4OD Harsh Shift TSB 94-09-12 for 94 and 95 Bronco & F Series; "...PSOM (Programmable Speedometer/Odometer Module) may be inoperative or not function properly and the #8 fuse may be blown. In addition, if the vehicle is equipped with an E4OD transmission, it may exhibit a harsh shift. These conditions may be caused by trim screws installed through the 17K745 visor wire between the left hand "A" pillar and the left hand visor bullet connector..."

Cab Fuse 8;
Some customers may have concerns that the following features are inoperative or have voltage drain:
All courtesy lamps
Map lamps
Engine compartment lamp
Glove compartment lamp
➡Speedometer/Odometer (Programmable Speedometer Odometer Module (PSOM) in the instrument cluster
➡Dome lamp
Power mirrors
Lighted vanity
Cargo lamp
Remote Keyless Entry (RKE)

This is due to insufficient clearance between the outer roof panel of the cab and a map/dome lamp mounting screw, causing a short in Circuit 54, which causes Fuse 8 (15 amp) to become inoperative. This fuse protects the wiring for the above vehicle features.
Replace existing dome mounting screws with new, shorter screws. Refer to the following procedure for service details.
BACKGROUND
Three screws are required to mount the map-dome lamp to the inner roof panel of the cab. Two (2) of the three (3) screws are used to complete two electrical circuits, 53 and 54. Circuit 53 is after the lamp switches and is "cold" ("cold" means that 12 volts are not present) & Circuit 54 is before the lamp switches and is "hot" at all times ("hot" means that there are always 12 volts present).
The 52814-S36 screw is approximately 25.4mm (1") long. When there is a sufficient amount of downward force applied to the outer roof panel of the cab, the panel will make contact with the screw that has Circuit 54 (12 volts) on it.
For example: When the brushes and dryer pass over the roof of the truck in a car wash or when traveling at highway speeds. As the roof panel contacts the screw, it causes a direct short-to-ground. When this occurs, Fuse 8 will be overloaded (15 amp), open and disable the listed features.
SERVICE PROCEDURE:
1. Carefully pry pillar/dome lamp lens from interior lamp body.
2. Remove screws retaining interior lamp (map/dome) to roof trim panel.
3. Install new screws (52802-S36, 19mm).
NOTE: ANOTHER OPTION WOULD BE TO REMOVE OLD SCREWS AND CUT/GRIND APPROXIMATELY 6.35mm (1/4") OFF THE END AND REINSTALL.
4. Reinstall pillar/dome lamp lens

52802-S36B Screw, 19mm

Or, these conditions may be caused by trim screws installed through the 17K745 sun visor wire between the left hand "A" pillar and the left hand visor bullet connector.
ACTION: Tape the damaged or exposed wire conductor and add scrolling to protect the wiring from trim screw shorts. Refer to the following service procedures for service details.
SERVICE PROCEDURE
1. Remove the garnish moulding. Refer to the 1994 Econoline, F-150-350, Bronco F-Super Duty Service Manual, Page 01-05A-5, for the removal procedure.
a. Inspect the wiring condition against the trim screws.
b.Check screws for burn marks.
2. If burn mark is found, use electrical tape to protect exposed/damaged wire. Add 1/4" (6.35 mm) scrolling to maximize protection.
3. Replace #8 fuse.

Scuff plate screws (driver's side) may pinch the 14A504 wire assy;
4. Dash Harness 14401 wire assy may be trapped/pinched between Half car beam & instrument panel attachment (repeated as #7. the wire harness may be pinched/shorted behind the dash where the 14401 wire assy may come in contact w/a sharp edge on dash panel wall;
5. shift cable assy near tranny may chaf the wire harness; the wire harness;
6 is for manual tranny - harness chaf at clutch pedal;
7. repeated above..brake pedal-to-dash panel wall weld"

As jowens1126 wrote, " Underhood lamp. They tend to corrode very badly. I suppose its possible for it to short out however unlikely."
"The one my money is on is the RKE Box.
I have had issues with mine in the past multiple times.
I have also scoured the junk yards over the years looking for them in Bronco's.
Every single one I have found was shorted out the same way.
If you remove the RKE Module from under the dash and open it up, you will likely find this short circuit....

If pic doesn't appear, see it @ http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/1117290/fullsize/20170611_210200.jpg
The pancake capacitor overheats and melts the ribbon cable.
It could either fuse 2 wires in the cable together or bare wire contact the diode that sticks up into the bottom of the ribbon cable.
If yours is the same, I would replace it with one from a 95 SN95 Mustang. They dont have that type of capacitor and thus wont fail that way.
It is exactly the same as the one in the bronco so everything will work perfectly. Its even the same part number. You can find them on ebay pretty cheap.
Note SN95 under the barcode...."

PSOM fuses 8 & 18 Ground is G200
Dome light is fuse 8
Overhead console lights fuse 18

95 5.0 Bronco Grounds
G100 LH front of engine compartment, on upper radiator support
G101 RH front of engine compartment, front of fender apron
G102 LH front of engine compartment
G103 Lower RH front of engine
G104 Rear of LH fender apron
G200 Behind bottom of RH cowl panel
G201 Behind bottom of LH cowl panel
G400 LH rear corner of cargo area, near rear lamp assembly

h

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
9,041 Posts
Check the fuse for the dome lights. It also controls the speedometer and if the speedometer isn't working it will cause the trans to shift hard.

I learned this by having pulled the dome light fuse to keep from draining the battery while working inside. Went to drive and no speedometer and hard shifts. Reinstall fuse and all was well.
Yo Ranger,
PSOM & Odometer Not Working & E4OD Harsh Shift TSB 94-09-12 for 94 and 95 Bronco & F Series; "...PSOM (Programmable Speedometer/Odometer Module) may be inoperative or not function properly and the #8 fuse may be blown. In addition, if the vehicle is equipped with an E4OD transmission, it may exhibit a harsh shift. These conditions may be caused by trim screws installed through the 17K745 visor wire between the left hand "A" pillar and the left hand visor bullet connector..."

Cab Fuse 8;
Some customers may have concerns that the following features are inoperative or have voltage drain:
All courtesy lamps
Map lamps
Engine compartment lamp
Glove compartment lamp
➡Speedometer/Odometer (Programmable Speedometer Odometer Module (PSOM) in the instrument cluster
➡Dome lamp
Power mirrors
Lighted vanity
Cargo lamp
Remote Keyless Entry (RKE)

This is due to insufficient clearance between the outer roof panel of the cab and a map/dome lamp mounting screw, causing a short in Circuit 54, which causes Fuse 8 (15 amp) to become inoperative. This fuse protects the wiring for the above vehicle features.
Replace existing dome mounting screws with new, shorter screws. Refer to the following procedure for service details.
BACKGROUND
Three screws are required to mount the map-dome lamp to the inner roof panel of the cab. Two (2) of the three (3) screws are used to complete two electrical circuits, 53 and 54. Circuit 53 is after the lamp switches and is "cold" ("cold" means that 12 volts are not present) & Circuit 54 is before the lamp switches and is "hot" at all times ("hot" means that there are always 12 volts present).
The 52814-S36 screw is approximately 25.4mm (1") long. When there is a sufficient amount of downward force applied to the outer roof panel of the cab, the panel will make contact with the screw that has Circuit 54 (12 volts) on it.
For example: When the brushes and dryer pass over the roof of the truck in a car wash or when traveling at highway speeds. As the roof panel contacts the screw, it causes a direct short-to-ground. When this occurs, Fuse 8 will be overloaded (15 amp), open and disable the listed features.
SERVICE PROCEDURE:
1. Carefully pry pillar/dome lamp lens from interior lamp body.
2. Remove screws retaining interior lamp (map/dome) to roof trim panel.
3. Install new screws (52802-S36, 19mm).
NOTE: ANOTHER OPTION WOULD BE TO REMOVE OLD SCREWS AND CUT/GRIND APPROXIMATELY 6.35mm (1/4") OFF THE END AND REINSTALL.
4. Reinstall pillar/dome lamp lens

52802-S36B Screw, 19mm

Or, these conditions may be caused by trim screws installed through the 17K745 sun visor wire between the left hand "A" pillar and the left hand visor bullet connector.
ACTION: Tape the damaged or exposed wire conductor and add scrolling to protect the wiring from trim screw shorts. Refer to the following service procedures for service details.
SERVICE PROCEDURE
1. Remove the garnish moulding. Refer to the 1994 Econoline, F-150-350, Bronco F-Super Duty Service Manual, Page 01-05A-5, for the removal procedure.
a. Inspect the wiring condition against the trim screws.
b.Check screws for burn marks.
2. If burn mark is found, use electrical tape to protect exposed/damaged wire. Add 1/4" (6.35 mm) scrolling to maximize protection.
3. Replace #8 fuse.

Scuff plate screws (driver's side) may pinch the 14A504 wire assy;
4. Dash Harness 14401 wire assy may be trapped/pinched between Half car beam & instrument panel attachment (repeated as #7. the wire harness may be pinched/shorted behind the dash where the 14401 wire assy may come in contact w/a sharp edge on dash panel wall;
5. shift cable assy near tranny may chaf the wire harness; the wire harness;
6 is for manual tranny - harness chaf at clutch pedal;
7. repeated above..brake pedal-to-dash panel wall weld"

As jowens1126 wrote, " Underhood lamp. They tend to corrode very badly. I suppose its possible for it to short out however unlikely."
"The one my money is on is the RKE Box.
I have had issues with mine in the past multiple times.
I have also scoured the junk yards over the years looking for them in Bronco's.
Every single one I have found was shorted out the same way.
If you remove the RKE Module from under the dash and open it up, you will likely find this short circuit....

If pic doesn't appear, see it @ http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/1117290/fullsize/20170611_210200.jpg
The pancake capacitor overheats and melts the ribbon cable.
It could either fuse 2 wires in the cable together or bare wire contact the diode that sticks up into the bottom of the ribbon cable.
If yours is the same, I would replace it with one from a 95 SN95 Mustang. They dont have that type of capacitor and thus wont fail that way.
It is exactly the same as the one in the bronco so everything will work perfectly. Its even the same part number. You can find them on ebay pretty cheap.
Note SN95 under the barcode...."

PSOM fuses 8 & 18 Ground is G200
Dome light is fuse 8
Overhead console lights fuse 18

View attachment 167918
View attachment 167917

95 5.0 Bronco Grounds
G100 LH front of engine compartment, on upper radiator support
G101 RH front of engine compartment, front of fender apron
G102 LH front of engine compartment
G103 Lower RH front of engine
G104 Rear of LH fender apron
G200 Behind bottom of RH cowl panel
G201 Behind bottom of LH cowl panel
G400 LH rear corner of cargo area, near rear lamp assembly

View attachment 167916 h
Well, there ya go. Looks like a single fuse could affect all those areas.

·
Registered
1984 Bronco, 4.9L, C6, 9", 44 TTB, 3.54 Gears
431 Posts
Just to chime in on something else; I had a Jeep once that would go haywire if the battery terminals were not perfectly clean. While checking grounds/cleaning, do the terminals and cables, too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.