Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everone,

I need some help with my bronco. It just died while I was driving, no warning no sputter. The problem I found is that there is no power to the primary circut going to the coil. I have been using Chiltons manual to gide me in the test and it says that I should use a volt meter and ground it to the distributor base and test both wires to the coil for power. The positve side gives 12.8V and the negative side gives zero. The book says I should get at least 12V reading from both wires going to the coil. The only suggestion they give is to inspect the wiring from the TFI to the coil. I did a continuity test of the dead wire and it seems to be fine. What do I do now? Replace the TFI or is it something in the ignition switch or wiring from the ignition switch.

Thanks for the help, Jeremy

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
Well, way to work it out as best you can:thumbup how far were you able to go to the wire?? what about the one before it, see where it goes all the way to the power source. I would see about changing the TFI, if it fixes it cool, if it doesnt either return it or keep the old one as a spare.

·
Banned
21,545 Posts
Was the coil still connected during your voltage testing?

If you have 12V going INTO the coil, but nothing coming OUT, then the coil is the open circuit. Disconnect the coil & check resistance thru it.

Also, buy a Haynes manual - I find it VASTLY superior to Chilton's. The Haynes ignition diagnostic procedure is excellent.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Coil is newer and tested ok. according to Chiltons I am supposed to get
12V from each wire going to the coil, is this correct. They call it primary and secondary power source. I am only getting 12V from the secondary wire. No the coil was disconnected during the test as they describe it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You should do a continuity check ( Ohms' check ) with nothing connected to the coil. You know, the little symbol that look like headphones on your multimeter. Don't have a clue what the ohm reading should be, but if you must know, I can look in my Haynes manual. ( beer really makes one lazy )

Is there a click-click-click sound when you try to start it up? Maybe water is getting to the coil. I've read some posts where this happens.

·
Banned
21,545 Posts
Always begin testing with the system assembled normally. In this case, with the coil still connected.

Again, Haynes... PN36058 light blue cover ~$13

1 - 7 of 7 Posts