Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forums i have 1990 bronco i hate the plastic headlight chambers and im looking to convert over to a projection/HID headlight setup.. i cant seam to find anything about it.. is this going to be a 100% custom fab deal or is there a way to change it over .. thanks for the help
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
955 Posts
...or is there a way to change it over .. thanks for the help
Not legally. HID's require very different reflector geometry from a halogen bulb. There are lots of companies selling "retrofit" HID kits, but 99% list them as off road only, and the other 1% lie about them.

Later,
Jason
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,024 Posts
For SOME cars, they sell HID conversion kits.. I wasnt able to quick find one. but if you check some different sites... You might get lucky and find an available kit...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea ive seen the kits that are for sale for off road use only... what about just converting over to glass and getting away from those plastic lenses i always see nice light setups for the 92-96 but nothing for the 90
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
955 Posts
The stock lens can be polished enough to make it look much better. There are write ups on here about polishing them up. It makes them look 100% better. The lens is also part of the overall optics of the headlights. The reason they aren't transparent, is they are meant to diffuse the light. The diamond cut water clear 92-96 lights you can get on ebay probably got a bit of a reflector change to help with dispersion.

You could theoretically find some OEM HID headlight assemblies, and do a lot of custom work and put them in a bronco. I don't even know where to start with what application might be somewhat close. Possibly a luxury sport ute?

Good luck anyhow. Harbor Freight sells the retrofit bulbs and ballasts for the cheapest I have seen. Be forewarned though, I have been told that cops are being trained to spot HID retrofits.

Later,
Jason
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,108 Posts
With my stock, 1992, crusty, slightly-yellowed, 'snow-flaked' lenses, 80/100w streetglow bulbs, and a rewired headlight harness/upgraded plugs, it's insanely bright, and IMO, just as good as any HID setup I've seen lately.

With diamond cut lenses/housing, I bet my stock lights would be too bright.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With my stock, 1992, crusty, slightly-yellowed, 'snow-flaked' lenses, 80/100w streetglow bulbs, and a rewired headlight harness/upgraded plugs, it's insanely bright, and IMO, just as good as any HID setup I've seen lately.

With diamond cut lenses/housing, I bet my stock lights would be too bright.
what do you mean by rewired harness and upgraded plugs...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,108 Posts
I bought some heavy duty plugs at AutoZone for the 9007 bulbs my headlights take. They're just better plastic/heavier gauge wiring and such for higher output bulbs that draw more current and generate more heat.

As for the rewired harness, I ran a new set of wires to each headlight, and to a pair of relays that get power directly from the battery. With the stock harness, the voltage at the plug would drop to about 11v at the high beams. With the rewired harness, I now get 13.8v at the plugs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought some heavy duty plugs at AutoZone for the 9007 bulbs my headlights take. They're just better plastic/heavier gauge wiring and such for higher output bulbs that draw more current and generate more heat.

As for the rewired harness, I ran a new set of wires to each headlight, and to a pair of relays that get power directly from the battery. With the stock harness, the voltage at the plug would drop to about 11v at the high beams. With the rewired harness, I now get 13.8v at the plugs.
you wouldnt happen to have a faq or guide or a link showing how to do this would ya
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,108 Posts
I'm pretty sure there's one in the tech section...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,150 Posts
hey if you find any for the 88-91 lemme know...iv'e searched all over the net and still can't find anything like that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i think im gonna skip on the hid kits.. after reading up a lot on it its just not worth it.. however i am liking the that wire harness mod to actually make the lights work better... of course ill wait till i see mikes pics after the install.. :)
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top