Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched a few times but can't find the info I'm looking for.

I have to pull my motor to replace the freeze plugs and oil pan so I figured while its out I'll throw some performance heads on there to bump the power a little.

My question is, if I'm just replacing the heads do I need to change pushrods? Can I just slap the new heads on and run it?

I know you change them when replacing a cam but the motor came bored .030 with a mild cam in it already so I would rather not touch it internally since there is nothing wrong.

This is an EFI 302 and I was planning on using Edelbrock Performer heads if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
I am no expert but I think you will need new rods with those heads regardless of length. I don't think the length will be much of an issue as you can adjust the stud mounted rockers. I could be wrong though. The problem is that you need hardened rods. The Edelbrock heads have rod guides (not sure of the techy term) that will wear your stock rods down REAL fast and then they will fail.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
13,392 Posts
yea, pushrods arent that expensive. do the upgrade while you are in there

·
Registered
69 Posts
If your gonna upgrade the heads, why not spend the bucks to get a new set of push rods? I'm assuming the valve train in the head will be new...

if you can do the work, and the budget is there. Do the complete valve train from the cam up...

·
Registered
600 Posts
heads are several hundred dollars and cam is only 100-200 dollars. why not splurge that little bit and get a full set up

·
Registered
238 Posts
heads are several hundred dollars and cam is only 100-200 dollars. why not splurge that little bit and get a full set up
This is why:

the motor came bored .030 with a mild cam in it already so I would rather not touch it internally since there is nothing wrong.
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...908331+4294924928+4294840126+115&autoview=sku

Were these the heads you were thinking of, or would you prefer running 2.02/1.60 intake/exhaust?

To answer your question, I would ask gacknar, fireguy50 or waltman. From their previous posts, they seem to know what they are talking about.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was going to run the 2.02/1.60 heads.

I don't mind doing the pushrods but if I need special hardened ones does that mean I need special lifters as well or will the ones in there do fine?

Also is there any way to tell what length I will need without getting a special tool. Could I just pull one out of the motor now and measure it or would it be wrong to assume that the same length will be needed with the new heads.

·
Registered
600 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts