Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have a massive header leak due to a bad gasket, cant pull the headers though because 3 of the bolts are stripped, tried vice grips a liberal amounts of pb blaster...

any suggestions

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Sears sells stripped bolt removers for 20-40 bucks or so. Don't buy the gator grip deal, it doesn't work soo good for stripped bolts.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Cut the heads off and use stud extractors. Its the quickest way for me to do them at work on old and newer Ford trucks.

-Tyler

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Weld another bolt to the head. Thats never failed me in any situation.

Then when you get them out, spend the $25 on 16 allen bolts. Its so much easier you won't even believe it.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the extracter doesnt work because the bit is to big to get inbetween the bolt head the tubes,

i know this would be total half a**, but the header leaks because of a crack in the gasket, except for the three bolts that are stuck ive put all new bolts in...
if i wee to tighten all the new ones and run a bead of jb weld do you think theres a chance thatll work???

·
not banned
5,970 Posts
did you try it with the engine hot?

did you try tightening them a little after the PB blaster?

Use a small cutting wheel and grind the head fo the bolt off.

OH, and EVERY time I do mine, I use anti-seize. Same with waterpump/ thermostat/ timing chain, etc.

mj

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
still having the problem, tried it hot/cold, with extractors from sears, with a blow torch, with something called freeze brake...

guess just chisel em off, any advise...

this is the only engine problem ive had so far, but i cant tune the truck right with the lack of back pressure it back fires...

·
my bko ate my money
2,319 Posts
still having the problem, tried it hot/cold, with extractors from sears, with a blow torch, with something called freeze brake...

guess just chisel em off, any advise...

this is the only engine problem ive had so far, but i cant tune the truck right with the lack of back pressure it back fires...
chisel em off then, pull the remaining studs and replace the bolts

as for the backfiring i had a prob like that on my F150 and it turned out that it was runnin to rich, check your timing that was my problem

·
Registered
162 Posts
as steve said before, grind whats left off or chisel em off, yank the header off so you actually have room to work, then carefully with a torch slowly heat around each bolt then while its hot give it a shot of pb blaster, the heat actually sucks the blaster into the threads then grab a good vise grips and just start slowly turning each one, itll let go eventually, you may have to repeat this several times before they let go but it beats drilling. this has worked very well for me with busted off manifold bolts. but first you need room. and dont heat it till its red! just get it hot.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
timing is my next guess, i am running rich...

·
my bko ate my money
2,319 Posts
timing is my next guess, i am running rich...
theres your backfire.....unburnt gas in the exhuast has to be burnt, thats what a cat is for, time it and see what it does but first get your exhuast fixed

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.