Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the best headers for a 400? I'm looking for a 3" collector dia. and I'm going to run 3" flowmaster w/40 series. What headers are the easiest to install? I am not partial to full length or shorty but I want something with the least painful instalation proccess. I see headman and hooker as good brands

Headman Full Length Street

Hooker Full Length Competition

Headman Elite Full Length

Flowtech Full Length

Hooker Competition

Headman Full Length Painted

I couldnt find shorty headers. Which headers have you had experience with? What is the easiest to install? Is it worth getting cermaic coated headers?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
First. I really suggest fender exiting. Ive got chassis exit and cant really run my front drive shaft w/o it hitting my header, so I took the DS off. second, you will need to protect your header (unless stainless) from rust. My headers are Jet-Hot ceramic coated headers, No rust here. And Third WRAP THEM I' have also wrapped my headers to help keep heat down and further increase Scavenging , starters dont like heat. and I can Grab my headers w/in 10mins of sitting.

and if you buy a used or new pair a headers, I would suggest using stock exhaust manifold gaskets. Not that paper crap.

the Street and Elite look to be your best deal, Especially if you want to keep you truck and nice as it is, year later I really dont think you want to see sh!ty rusty headers do ya?

·
Convicted Drunk Dialer
2,521 Posts
And Third WRAP THEM I' have also wrapped my headers to help keep heat down and further increase Scavenging ,
How does that assist in scavenging?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
How does that assist in scavenging?

http://www.thermotec.com/page.php?page_id=33

"The Incoming air charge increases due to many different factors. First, the lowering of air induction temperatures and cooler fuel coming into the engine will increase horse power by over 1% per Degree drop In temperature. Other areas of performance are Improved by the increased scavenging effect. Increasing the scavenging effect of the exhaust allows the engine to breathe more efficiently. A engine in many ways is like an air compressor, the pushing of exhaust gases from the combustion chamber creates a condition called pumping losses. This is the loss of power due to the piston pushing these exhaust gases Into the system and out of the system. Increased scavenging not only lowers pumping losses but also allows more efficient clearing of exhaust gases from the combustion chamber. This means cleaner air fuel mixture, this means power. The increased scavenging effect of the exhaust also benefits the intake of air & fuel during the overlap phase of the intake stroke. During the overlap phase, both the intake & exhaust valve are open. The exhaust gases create a vacuum effect which pulls the air fuel mixture at a higher velocity through the intake. As you can see, there are many benefits to the use of our product, lower cockpit temperatures, lower under hood temperatures. These all mean increased life of electric & electronic components."

Answer your Question?
A little P.S. I use Thermo-tech:D im happy:D

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
Don't use the Headmann full length. That is what I have on the Bronco and they suck. Good quality header but way to close to the X-member.

·
Convicted Drunk Dialer
2,521 Posts
http://www.thermotec.com/page.php?page_id=33

"The Incoming air charge increases due to many different factors. First, the lowering of air induction temperatures and cooler fuel coming into the engine will increase horse power by over 1% per Degree drop In temperature. Other areas of performance are Improved by the increased scavenging effect. Increasing the scavenging effect of the exhaust allows the engine to breathe more efficiently. A engine in many ways is like an air compressor, the pushing of exhaust gases from the combustion chamber creates a condition called pumping losses. This is the loss of power due to the piston pushing these exhaust gases Into the system and out of the system. Increased scavenging not only lowers pumping losses but also allows more efficient clearing of exhaust gases from the combustion chamber. This means cleaner air fuel mixture, this means power. The increased scavenging effect of the exhaust also benefits the intake of air & fuel during the overlap phase of the intake stroke. During the overlap phase, both the intake & exhaust valve are open. The exhaust gases create a vacuum effect which pulls the air fuel mixture at a higher velocity through the intake. As you can see, there are many benefits to the use of our product, lower cockpit temperatures, lower under hood temperatures. These all mean increased life of electric & electronic components."

Answer your Question?
A little P.S. I use Thermo-tech:D im happy:D
Not really...? Didnt see anything about increased exhaust temp increasing scavenging.

Edit: Maybe you're referring to decreased engine compartment heat causing a cooler air charge. And in that case, I'm not too sure how much difference just wrapping the headers would make.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Not really...? Didnt see anything about increased exhaust temp increasing scavenging.

Edit: Maybe you're referring to decreased engine compartment heat causing a cooler air charge. And in that case, I'm not too sure how much difference just wrapping the headers would make.
The idea is that the cool outside temperature at the end of the pipe is cooling the exhaust and condensing it. This effectively pulls the exhaust through the pipe to make up the volume of the cooled exhaust.

Thats the idea......how much benifit you actually get is up for debate but the cool intake temps are the biggest gain. An engine is a heat pump....in a rough manner of speaking the larger the temp differences between the ingoing and outgoing the more work you can do. Like I said......roughly put....

·
Registered
1,264 Posts

.....ok lemme reword it for you, I wrapped them to cut down engine compartment heat, and to also further increase scavenging (since long tube headers help with scavenging)

EDIT: reduces underhood temps up to 70%! By keeping the exhaust gases from cooling, the exhaust gas velocity can remain high, thus improving the scavenging effect.

Besides, you got brake and fuel lines right next to a bare header.....that gets hot, and wrapping does make a difference

·
Convicted Drunk Dialer
2,521 Posts
Gotcha now. I wasnt trying to discredit the wrap, I know it has its purpose. But, I do take a grain of salt with any claims of noticeable performance increases or big numbers, especially with something like wrapping a tube in some fabric. :thumbup

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Gotcha now. I wasnt trying to discredit the wrap, I know it has its purpose. But, I do take a grain of salt with any claims of noticeable performance increases or big numbers, especially with something like wrapping a tube in some fabric. :thumbup
you have stock manifold?

a nice pair of long tubes wrapped you WILL feel the difference:thumbup.

funny story: I was drive home from work, I noticed it was running Really rich (made my eyes water) popped the hood and looked at my headers, Cherry Red glow coming an opening in the header wrap. if the wrap wouldn't have been there, I'd probly would have been vapor locked and boiled my brake fluid. not to mention what would have happened to my starter.

the only complants I have with wrapping headers 1.) IT sucks! wrap is made out of fiberglass and takes ABOUT 8 hours to do a great job of wrapping. I suggest wearing throw away clothes when doing this, and patients.
2.) now having a larger surface, make installation a trickier job.

·
Convicted Drunk Dialer
2,521 Posts
Nah, got long tubes on my M and Windsor, wouldnt have it any other way. Im not sold on the wrap yet, though.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Nah, got long tubes on my M and Windsor, wouldnt have it any other way. Im not sold on the wrap yet, though.
If I had headers on mine when I got it, I wouldn't ether, but when I had them layin around, I went ahead and wrapped em.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I went headers on my old 79, and didn't have any clearance issues. I don't remember the brand, but look around there should be some that work fine. Don't go for the biggest tube diameter either. ANy header will be a big improvement on that motor over the stock manifolds unless it is built up so look for quality of construction as your first consideration. My .02 for what it's worth

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
First. I really suggest fender exiting. Ive got chassis exit and cant really run my front drive shaft w/o it hitting my header, so I took the DS off. second, you will need to protect your header (unless stainless) from rust. My headers are Jet-Hot ceramic coated headers, No rust here. And Third WRAP THEM I' have also wrapped my headers to help keep heat down and further increase Scavenging , starters dont like heat. and I can Grab my headers w/in 10mins of sitting.

and if you buy a used or new pair a headers, I would suggest using stock exhaust manifold gaskets. Not that paper crap.

the Street and Elite look to be your best deal, Especially if you want to keep you truck and nice as it is, year later I really dont think you want to see sh!ty rusty headers do ya?

I like to do things right and ceramic headers look good. So do thermal coated but I am not sure of the difference. My main issue is clearance and exhaust flow. What is involved in installing a fenderwell exit header? What is the difference in flow? I just worry, like ranger said, about fit. I remember he posted a while back on his thread for building his CA bronco that those headers sucked as far as "fit" goes. Summit also has dynomax headers (was unsure as to the quality of the brand), I just want a simple, non intrusive installation. Its a lot to ask for but I dont want to be cutting into frame rails or the cross member. Flatout I guess... what is the best fit as far as headers? What is the difference between thermal and ceramic coating?

·
Convicted Drunk Dialer
2,521 Posts
I have some long tubes Ill be looking to get rid of soon. PM me if interested.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts