Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at various shorty headers and noticed a variety of configurations. some are equal length tubes some are not. does it really matter the tube length? also which brands are good and which ones to stay away from. any opinions appreciated. I got a 96 5.8L with the smog pipe.

·
Man with a Golden ticket
4,003 Posts
He's not being mean it's just that headers and softtops are probably the most common threads here and guys get tired of answering the same questions over and over again.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
Im looking at various shorty headers and noticed a variety of configurations. some are equal length tubes some are not. does it really matter the tube length? also which brands are good and which ones to stay away from. any opinions appreciated. I got a 96 5.8L with the smog pipe.
a smog pipe. not an AIR pipe?

Well I have summit shorties on mine (pacesetter) and i had some problems but i took care of that with a better gasket. They are equal length if you want to call them that. Any shortie i think would be fine. What is wrong withy oru exhaust manifolds? mine were cracked that is why i replaced them. the stockers flow pretty well. Either or i think BBK or headman are the best out there, but im not spending 4-500 dollars on my truck for headers. i sepnt 130 and then the other 350 on my custom exhaust from headers back and that was a better deal to me.

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,353 Posts
I like my BBKs for $350. And thats ceramic coated.

·
Registered
904 Posts
bassani here, cant complain about them.

Equal length tubes are much better btw, if you arent going to get equal length then just stick witht he stock manifolds.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i did a search but so much useless stuff comes up with a search for headers. what i really want to know is if the tube length makes a difference. some headers the front pipe is the longest and the rear pipe is the shortest. and some other headers the pipes are equal length all bent in a crazy mess. i assume its done for a reason so i just wanted to know if there was much of a gain with either version. I had gibsons headers on my last bronco but Im not really looking to dump stupid money in this thing. right now my exhaust leak on my passenger manifold pissed me off. must have been from those puddles:doh0715:

·
Registered
17 Posts
From what I've read on here you can get better gains from installing a better y-pipe and doing the coil swap and timing bump. The big restrictions on the 5.8 are the intake manifold and the y-pipe

With that said, here's the quick and dirty on headers.

-Equal length primaries=better scavenging=more power everywhere
-Thicker metal and/or ceramic coatings= more power (and durability)
-Big collectors are for engines that make big power(and high rpm's)
-Short, fat primaries make more high rpm power
-Long skinny primaries make more torque
-Long, large diameter primaries are for big power engines.

Like anything else in life, you get what you pay for with headers. I'm gonna buy the Hedman's because they come with a lifetime warranty. I'm gonna ceramic coat them myself since I can buy some Techline Black Satin and a spray gun for less than the cost of buying ceramic coated headers.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
I gather the common wisdom says that install a better (6Litre) type ignition up grade, and keep the stock mannys is the better way to go....only replace the mannys with headers WHEN NECESSARY Equal Length gives the better results, but more problems, shortys fit better with our 4wd.....

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
see thats the nitty gritty i was looking for. I dont really care for getting more hp but I just dont want to go backwards and screw it up. Besides if im getting my hands dirty i might as well get something out of it.
thanks for the feedback

·
Man with a Golden ticket
4,003 Posts
see thats the nitty gritty i was looking for. I dont really care for getting more hp but I just dont want to go backwards and screw it up. Besides if im getting my hands dirty i might as well get something out of it.
thanks for the feedback
If it were me and it was a mostly stock motor I would run stock manifolds until I cracked or otherwise damaged my stock manifolds.

Then I would go shorty equal length ceramic or jet hot coated unless I was pushing over 500hp.

I'm preferential to Bassani because of quality and fit but there are plenty of other good Headers out there.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would leave it alone but its cracked. so might as well if im in there. looking at the bassani's whos got the best deal?

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Well I have summit shorties on mine (pacesetter) They are equal length if you want to call them that.
Are you sure?

If you arent going to get equal length then just stick witht he stock manifolds.
:doh0715:
The power gains from equal length shorty headers over unequal length shortys, is very small on a modified engine, and non existent on a stock one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts