Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

headers questions

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  redbeast9 
#1 ·
Got a coupla questions,

First, did I screw up by using gaskets from pep boys. I believe they are some kind of compressed fiber? I've read somewhere I was supposed to use copper? is that correct. I have a leak and I'm trying to figure out where it is coming from.

Second I have 1 bolt out of 12 on the headers that seems to be stripped. Is the best plan to tap out the hole one size up or something close. I believe the bolts are 3/8". What would be the best size to tap the new threads. Or what are the alternatives other then tapping?
Will one stripped bolt on newly installed headers cause a leak?

#2 ·
Nothing wrong with the gasket you have. It doesn't work as good as the copper but it will work OK. With that gasket its critical to retorque the bolts often in the first 1000 or so miles otherwise they will blow out so be sure you do that.

If the threads are really stripped out I'd drill it and tap it to 7/16". Be careful and be sure you know what you're doing there otherwise you could **** the head up and you will then be pretty deep in shit. You may want to try a longer bolt (1" length) or even a stud before you go that far though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.