Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 bronco xlt with a 351 engine in it. The exhaust manifold has leaks on both sides so I'm planning on ripping it out and replacing it with headers, and while I'm at it I'm going to redo the entire exhaust to make it into a true dual system. The question I have is what are the best headers and mufflers to get to make the truck sounding nice?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Don't know about the headers but I've always got a great sound from Flowmasters. I guess alot will have to do with emissions laws where your'e at also. Someone will chime on the headers shortly.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I personally like the 40 series flowmasters as far as headers from what I have heard the summit racing set (pacesetters) are the most common and favored here. I plan on doing this combo when I get my tax return. Also, duel exhaust will rob you of torque

·
Registered
37 Posts
Why will a dual exhaust rob you of torque??

I have long tubes, and they're cool, but I'd recommend shorties - I personally think they're a better upgrade for the Bronco than the long tubes for a few different reasons and they'll be a lot easier to install. Single exhaust will give you a better flow route to the back of the truck too - the passenger side is pretty much a straight shot - driver's side is conflicted by the transfer case. Unless you get a good sized body lift, then you can go over the transfer case right next to the driver's side frame rail.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
BBK and Bassani make good shorties.
The Summit (pace setter) shorties can have fitment problems on 351w.

I don't know if they still make it but Bassani did make an X-pipe for 1993-95 Lightnings that will fit our trucks if shortened.
(It's what I run)

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/4103/52149

Otherwise you will need a custom midpipe fabbed that runs both pipes down the passenger side.

There are dozens of companies that make mufflers with the same internal structure as Flowmaster for half the price.

These are the only mufflers I would pay over $30.00 for.
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/4103/52149

1 - 7 of 7 Posts