Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here. I just bought my first truck. A 90 FSB with a 302. I have a cracked exhaust manifold and have decided to switch to headers. What headers are the best for a decent price. I'm a student so price will be a major factor. Thanks for any advice.
CODY

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,902 Posts
welcome, use the search feature , this topic has come up so much you should have more than enough info to read up on.

late

·
Registered
46 Posts
Here's my .02 cents---I have the same setup, and I'm going with my mechanics advise--JBA shorties. They are not cheap (($360 from racenet.net) but they have perfected their headers from Mustang setups. They match up real nice to the existing Y pipe, and have all the smog tie-in points. JBA claims a 16-20HP gain. Add on Flowmaster or Gibson exaust and you will see a significant power gain, as Fords typically have a very restrictive exaust when stock. I believe the part # for your truck is #1627.

·
USAF Veteran
2,975 Posts
don't tell me you believe those hp increase #s w/o seeing proof of them!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
for a cheap quick thing Id go with summit shorties.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay. Thanks for all the help. Does anyone know anything about the BBk shorty headers? I found a set for $159.95 on summitracing.com. These headers will mount up to a set of side pipes like off of the 70's corvettes. These have glasspacks in them. Does anyone know how loud this setup will be. I want to have the loudest truck in town.
Thanks
CODY

·
OUCH!!
1,044 Posts
broncoguy69 said:
Okay. Thanks for all the help. Does anyone know anything about the BBk shorty headers? I found a set for $159.95 on summitracing.com. These headers will mount up to a set of side pipes like off of the 70's corvettes. These have glasspacks in them. Does anyone know how loud this setup will be. I want to have the loudest truck in town.
Thanks
CODY
oh lord someone please help this noobie

bad noobie:twak

Why do you want the loudest truck town for??????
are you trying to compensate for something???:goodfinge
ok I am done harrassing your butt for now. But really why do you want a load truck it does nothing for ya except to have a loud truck where you can't talk to the person sitting right next to ya

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay. I want the loudest truck in town right now because at the moment this is a chevy oriented town. So I want to be able to pull up next to my friends and make the doors and windows shake on his pansy assed chevy. And no I have nothing to compensate for I am very pleased with my god given talent. For another thing since I'm a new driver My parents, since I just turned sixteen last week, will not let me have passengers until they deem myself worthy. SO therefore I have no one to talk to in the seat next to me. Plus I have a kick ass stereo system, so there is no reason to not do it because of that.
CODY

·
OUCH!!
1,044 Posts
ok let me see if I am reading this clear

You just turned 16
You live in a chevy town
You have a "kick ass" stereo system
and you can't have a passenger until you have proven yourself worthy of it.

Well this is what I can tell ya little man you don't need a load ass exhaust to prove that your bronco is better than there chevy's. But I would say go ahead and get a exhaust put on there you just don't need a load one get one with a good rumble probuly flowmaster's or magnaflow's. goahead and get free flowing cats and a decent set of headers plus and a k&n fillter kit (if you don't have the money you can get the filter for like 3 bucks and make your own brackets.) Trust me the loudness get's real annoying after awhile. next thing is to goahead and start wheeling the bitch and as you become a better driver and get some more money lift it and put better tires on it. But I can guranette that if you wheel your bronco and you do good you can out show alot of those chevy people. Oh yeah as for the stereo mine is better that yours haha:brownbag

edit: Oh yeah care your ass over to the into's and introduce your self:thumbup :goodfinge

·
my precioussssssss
877 Posts
For a cheap set of headers, get some factory headers off a late modle 5.0 mustang. They will fit but the y pipe wont line up on the drivers side, just get your local muffler shop to massage it to fit. Cheap and effective

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay now. your stereo system probably is better but mines not a flop either. Now the headers are a necesity since my exhaust manifold is cracked. but my dad just got home and say's he went and asked a mechanic where he works about catalytic converters. I had been planning on just junking them. But he say's you have to keep them because it is a ten thousand dollar fine unless the dealer takes them off then it is 25 hundred. Is this true? Well anyway if I do have to keep my cat can I still fit the side exhaust pipes that I have in my back yard? Those things will look killer if I can. And another thing why the airfilter upgrade? will that really help that much? And one last thing if I can't put the pipes on I have been looking at the Flowtech warlock muffler. and a cable operated cover so I can pull up next to a chevy and then when I hit the gas It will go from mild to wild. And another thing what is the cheapest way to lift a truck? I have a set of 32" mud rovers and really want much bigger without compromising to much driveability since this is my daily driver.
Any advice is good advice.
Thanks
CODY

·
my precioussssssss
877 Posts
I put a home made k&n fipk on my 90 302 bronco and let me tell you, It barked and screamed like a hotrod! When I punched out my catalitic converter it was quieter from the reduced backpressure. It still gives a deep throaty sound though.

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
Flowtechs by Holley. 90 bucks for a pair... beat that!

360 dollars for a cheap set of headers... not even I would do that!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
headers

I had the same problem with my first bronco, I went with flowtech headers from summit they were easy to install and they were about 169.00 :usa :usa

·
OUCH!!
1,044 Posts
All right little man I going to help you out but next time itz gonna cost ya. The K&n filter works buy getting more air into your engine faster. (think of it this way when you are running do you want to breath out of a one nose hole or two?) So after you get more air into the engine you want to get it out quicker. in come's headers and exhaust. Now like everyone said you don't want to go super big on your exhaust pipes. Ok the next thing is the cat's.
Yes you do need them unless your vechinle was made before 1979 I think. But you can get some free flow cat's and they work really good.
As for your lift someone is selling there 4 inch lift and it is one of the best one's you can get here is a link to it
click here . As for that cable thing I have heard nothing but bad things about them so I would avoid them. If you were to get the K&n, Headers, free flow cats and some good exhaust pipes then you will get a really good rumble that is not annoying as hell.

So what have we learned tonight

More air in=more power
Air out quicker=more power
itz the simple. Now just don't go thinking you are going to go get like 50 hp out of all this ok.

oh yeah get some pics as well.

·
search, you #$%@! noob
9,998 Posts
headers

i have heard of some folks having problems with flowtech headers. i think in the long run it is always better to spend a little bit more for quality, it always saves you in the long run...i am going with the jba headers myself, in my short little survey around here i have yet to read anything negative at all about them...they ain't cheap, but, like in life, usually you get what you pay for.

:toothless

jackhart

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
I agree with you, but I havent had any "problems" with them or heard anyone who has. I mean they rust after like a week but thats about it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts