Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a 160amp Alt and Optima battery about a month or so ago. The headlight and instrument panel lights were brighter after the install. Well now they are dimmer. I've noticed that they get brighter and sometimes flicker when I accelerate, but once I reach cruzing speed they get dim again. The battery gauge in the truck reads normal. I've also checked the battery with a volt meter with the truck running and the lights on and it reads in the high 13's. Just wondering where should I check for a lose connection and if there is not a lose connection anywhere what might it be??

http://fullsizebronco.superford.org/registry/vehicles/detail.php?id=3030

·
Registered
483 Posts
bronco86.. damn i had the samething happened to me the other day.. did you fix it at all?? now i drive home at night with no light on the guage cluster.. i need some help please some one read this...

·
Registered
7 Posts
When I bought my 81 the owner told me the dash lights flickered but I noticed they went on and off with headlights on non stop then they stopped to find out my problem was the fuse panel under dash being corroded. Once I cleaned it and put a new fuse in it worked great.

·
Registered
483 Posts
ohhh yea magoo... in your 85 wat is the bottom right fuse.. the previous owner who had it.. like damn i dunno wat he did, but like he tapped into it..

·
Registered
483 Posts
so you cleaned it ... like pulled out the fuse and rubb the cloth between the contacts...???? i was thinkin of something like a spray.. but i dunno if that will be good

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah I rubbed the cloth into the contacts but they had serious white corrosiom on all the contacts. Also I know sometimes the dimmer switch if its on the floor can cause wierd problems if it gets enough mud and stuff in it. Also the headlight switch can do something similar.

·
Registered
483 Posts
anyone else has an idea for me to look for.. my friend said it could be the dimmer switch.. but i have a feelin it anit..

·
Practicing Infidel
15,313 Posts
Make sure your well grounded at the back of the gauge cluster

Also, to clean that box, unscrew the box and let it hang in a quart container full of warm water and baking soda. She'll come out copper coloured and corrosion free.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
483 Posts
where would the groundin screw/ bolt at...? and would CLR be better then bakin soda and warm water..? would i also need to unplug the ecu?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts