Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something isn't right...whenever I start up my bronco the voltage gauge dances all over the place and all the lights flicker. Headlights, gauge lights, all of them. It's worse on cold days but it seems to happen all the time. Once I rev the truck up and drive it the voltage gauge stabilizes when the truck isn't at idle.

BTW it's a 91 XLT with a 302 and 4OD

I'm thinking it's battery or alternator but I'm not sure which one to start with first.

thoughts?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Have you replaced your battery cables? When the truck has warmed up does it do it at idle or just when 1st starting?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no I haven't replaced the battery cables. I wanted to try and figure out where to start.

I suppose I could make new cables but I didn't just want to start blowing cash on things before I knew what was what.

Do you know what the standard resistance on a battery cable should be? I'm still kind of new to using a volt-meter.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Just had this problem. Ended up being my alternator but make sure to check your headlight switch and highbeam dimmer switch. Ive heard of those switches going bad and causing the same problems.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yes, regulator is in the alt. Well, on mine it is. I'm not a 100% sure it is on a 91. You can always take the truck to O'reilly's or Autozone to get the alt checked for free. They can also test the alt off the truck. If it is the alt, you can upgrade to a bigger alt at this time. You really only need the higher amp alt if you are running extra lights, winch, high end stereo, stuff like that. I fixed about a 1000 problems on mine by changing the old corroded wires to new 1/0 cable. I still have a high amp alt sitting in my shop ready to go on, but I've been lazy.
You're here in DFW area aren't you? If so, when you need to do your cables, I have a hammer crimper I can loan you. It'll do from 4 gauge all the way to 2/0. Or, if you wanted to get the stuff, bring the truck over and I can help build them. I have the cutters, propane torch, and crimper that are needed to do the job right. You can get the connectors online fairly cheap and the cable from a welding supply store. In FW, I highly recommend Fort Worth Welders Supply on Riverside. They stock the cables sold by the foot, and have no minimums.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts