Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hit a bump on the way home tonight and my headlights went out. Discovered the fuse blew. Replaced it with the dome light fuse just to get home and that fuse blew just as I pulled the light switch. Had to drive home with no lights. The O/D light was flashing and the truck shifted really hard. I don't know what happened. I'm afraid to drive it anywhere. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
wow, that sux. no lights is kinda scary, happened to me in highschool. my problem was the dimmer switch. cheap part, try that. wel...check to light wires, might have a short since the fuse blows as soon as you pull the switch. i dont know about the tranny problem, all i can say about that is check the fluid level.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
94bronco351 said:
the dome light(#8 fuse) controls the speedo, which tells your tranny when to shift, put the fuse back in and go to autozone and buy a multipack of fuses and use those and keep spares. cheap insurance
Thanks man, that makes sense why it started to shift hard after I pulled that fuse! I'm guessing the headlight fuse keeps blowin because a ground busted. Can't really look at it right now, can't see in the dark. Just need some ideas so I know what to tackel in the morning. Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Steve83 said:
Add your truck's details to your profile so we know what YEAR you're working on. :twak

Where are you finding a headlight fuse? No Ford truck has a fuse for the headlights. Only a fusible link wire at the starter relay & a circuit breaker inside the headlight switch.

No, an open ground doesn't cause fuses to blow - a short circuit blows fuses. Do you have a trailer connector dangling over the edge of your frame or rear bumper?
Sorry bro. Its a 95 XLT 5.8. The fuse is located is the fuse panel under the steering column. I think it is in spot 4. The 15amp fuse in the upper left hand corner. Its labeled headlights on the inside of the fuse box cover. And no, no trailer connector.

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
You might want to check all your other fuses is well. With the E4OD if some of the fuses are blown it will make the tranny shift really hard. That could be your problem with the tranny shifting hard if it was all of the sudden. As for the headlights check all the connectors on them and see if they are good to go, there has been some people having probelms with there connectors melting

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
I've never noticed whether there was a fuse for headlights or not. If not then why would replacing one make his headlights come back on?

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
if the fuse in the top left corner is lown it will cause harsh shifting

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
steve83, in your diagram its spot 4. Exterior lamps, intrument illumination...
What are you calling? I can never understand those smile faces. I'm going to take a good look at the wiring now and let you guys know what I find.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
oops, follow steve's directions, keep reading down.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Found out that in the fuse box under the hood, the 40amp fuse is blown too and keeps blowing. If the fuse (#4 inside) doesn't control the headlights along with the rest of the lights, then why do the parking lamps light with the first click of the headlight switch and then blow the fuse after the second click? I can't find and cut or bare wire anywhere. What does the 40amp fuse under the hood control? I think is labled 19...
No accidents, no extra lighting. Had an alarm put I just pulled that out and examined all the connections and they are fine. THe highbeams work too. I pulled the headlight switch and it looks fine put I guess you can never know. ALL EXTERIOR LIGHTS WORK BUT THE HEADLIGHTS!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Steve83 said:
[Cough-cough...GAG] :brownbag

Can someone come help me get this size 14 out of my mouth? Stepchild - looks like it's time to change your signature... :deal

'92-up DO have fuses for the headlights. :banghead ...and the fusible link, AND the CB inside the switch. :shrug Fuse A is for the flash-to-pass, and fuse R is for the main headlight power feed.

stangomus
Don't you have an owner's manual? It shows all the fuses, just like those diagrams.
No the truck didn't come with the owners manual so I have no idea what fuses are for what under the hood. You say its for the main power feed? Where does the main power feed run? do you know the color? This thing is really driving me crazy! I just put my cobra away in storage and on my way home, this happens! Figures with my luck!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Steve83 said:
Click the "owner's manual" link that you quoted. ;) That's why I made it a link.

Fuse R -> Bk/Or -> Headlight Switch -> R/Y -> Beam Select (MFS) -> R/Bk -> Low Beams -> Grounds at front of engine bay
Ahh yes, the link! I clicked on your diagram and forgot about the owners manual link. Thanks alot for your help bro!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Steve83 said:
[Cough-cough...GAG] :brownbag

Can someone come help me get this size 14 out of my mouth? Stepchild - looks like it's time to change your signature... :deal

'92-up DO have fuses for the headlights. :banghead ...and the fusible link, AND the CB inside the switch. :shrug Fuse A is for the flash-to-pass, and fuse R is for the main headlight power feed.

stangomus
Don't you have an owner's manual? It shows all the fuses, just like those diagrams.

oh sh1t. a newbie got steve. i guess theres a first time for everything.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wait a second! If the main healight feed (fuse R or 19) is blown, then why does fuse #4 (exterior/instrument lights) blow when I pull the headlight switch out all the way? The headlights should be getting no power. Do you guys think the headlight switch has something to do with it? I guess the short is somewhere after fuse #19. This is a nightmare!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Problem solved, almost. I found the short. I narrowed it down to the black/orange wire running from the outside fuse box to the headlight switch. Found the wire was cut from rubbing repeatly on a piece of meta under the dash by the parking brake near the fire wall. All I have to do is replace the wire and put like a door edge guard on the metal that cut the wire to prevent it from happening again. Thanks again for all your help!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts