Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im debating on getting the harness from bronco graveyard or LMC, both have stupid high shipping price :/ something that cost 24-35$ cost me like 55-65$ and its ridiculous, not sure if its worth it ,any one have experience with the harness?

also im not sure if i should get a new alternator or clean mine? cause its giving a weird shudder on the lights and a electromecanic said its the voltage regulator in the actual alternator but it can also be all the dirty the previous owner got in it from offroading

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
So im debating on getting the harness from bronco graveyard or LMC, both have stupid high shipping price :/ something that cost 24-35$ cost me like 55-65$ and its ridiculous, not sure if its worth it ,any one have experience with the harness?

also im not sure if i should get a new alternator or clean mine? cause its giving a weird shudder on the lights and a electromecanic said its the voltage regulator in the actual alternator but it can also be all the dirty the previous owner got in it from offroading
i would test the voltage with loads on and off.

Hows the condition of the battery?

the heavy duty headlight harness is a good investment, ive heard the load on the factory headlight switch can cause problems

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Some good info in this thread.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i would test the voltage with loads on and off.

Hows the condition of the battery?

the heavy duty headlight harness is a good investment, ive heard the load on the factory headlight switch can cause problems
it passed when i put the autozone charging test but it was around 13.8 V and i think it needs to be around 14 right?
battery is unknown, the mecanic disconnected the alternator cable and it stopped flickering the lights

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
it passed when i put the autozone charging test but it was around 13.8 V and i think it needs to be around 14 right?
battery is unknown, the mecanic disconnected the alternator cable and it stopped flickering the lights
13.8 is plenty, the alternator is fine if its putting out anywhere between 13.5-14.5 while running.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some good info in this thread.

this isnt bad Heavy Duty Headlight Conversion Harness w/Relays - Toms Bronco Parts
what do you think ?

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
13.8 is plenty, the alternator is fine if its putting out anywhere between 13.5-14.5 while running.
yeah but the problem is its not a very even , thats why its giving that flickering

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
So im debating on getting the harness...not sure if its worth it ,any one have experience with the harness?

The harnesses are good to have. As noted above, our headlight switches are weak and the HD harness uses relays so the full amperage to run the lights does not go through the switch.

The voltage regulator is cheap and easy to change. I would change it to see if it helps your weird shudder. I bought a couple of these Motorcraft units for spares.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The harnesses are good to have. As noted above, our headlight switches are weak and the HD harness uses relays so the full amperage to run the lights does not go through the switch.

The voltage regulator is cheap and easy to change. I would change it to see if it helps your weird shudder. I bought a couple of these Motorcraft units for spares.
Oh !!! thanks man!!! il see if this fixes my problem
would you recomend me taking it off and cleaning them with electronic cleaner ?
or can i use carb/brake cleaner?

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
Oh !!! thanks man!!! il see if this fixes my problem
would you recomend me taking it off and cleaning them with electronic cleaner ?
or can i use carb/brake cleaner?
I would just replace the regulator and see if that helps. When you pull the regulator off, the brush holder and brushes will come out with it, so you can check their condition and also look at the condition of the slip ring. There's just 2 screws that hold the brush holder to the regulator, but you'll need a short piece of wire to hold the brushes in when you reinstall them. To clean the alternator better, you would have to take it apart, which isn't that hard either. Here's a good video to show you what's involved:

Reactions: fordbronco1995

·
Registered
821 Posts
I believe what Bronco graveyard sells is a Putco 9007 relay harness (239007hw). I'm not a fan of the harness. It's better than not having a harness.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Consider looking into a 3G alternator upgrade. Being that yours is a 1992, it is the last model year before Ford made the swap, and yours is a lower amperage output. Look up for a 95 Thunderbird with the 3.8 if you are going with reman. Will have a smaller pulley, but they can be swapped or just use as is. Still need to do it for mine at some point (bought mine about 2.5 years ago just before I left a local auto parts store lol), but too many other things to really worry about.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Consider looking into a 3G alternator upgrade. Being that yours is a 1992, it is the last model year before Ford made the swap, and yours is a lower amperage output. Look up for a 95 Thunderbird with the 3.8 if you are going with reman. Will have a smaller pulley, but they can be swapped or just use as is. Still need to do it for mine at some point (bought mine about 2.5 years ago just before I left a local auto parts store lol), but too many other things to really worry about.
ok !!! ill check it out, is there any thing else i have to do to upgrade it? like wiring or relays?

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

im going to buy them now, it doesnt matter that its a different color or year? looks very similar to the one i have on now except the one i have is grey/black

·
Registered
515 Posts
ok !!! ill check it out, is there any thing else i have to do to upgrade it? like wiring or relays?
Heavier charge cables (6ga or larger) with eyelet connectors, 175 amp megafuse (I know they make a nifty mount for them, as I got one for my swap), and possible modification to the mount (I need to either get it done myself or hunt down some of the more detailed install posts to find out if it is necessary for us). Here is a link I have saved that covers the basics Ford 3G Alternator Swap

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Heavier charge cables (6ga or larger) with eyelet connectors, 175 amp megafuse (I know they make a nifty mount for them, as I got one for my swap), and possible modification to the mount (I need to either get it done myself or hunt down some of the more detailed install posts to find out if it is necessary for us). Here is a link I have saved that covers the basics Ford 3G Alternator Swap
alright thanks!!!
im not running anything crazy powerful so i might get a reman for now, in the future when i get lights and accesorries yes 100%

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
My bad @broncofox, I thought 92s already had 3G alternators. Since yours is 2G, a 3G is recommended as I've seen that the 2G connector is not very good and could heat up. Thanks for posting this @pakmule87.

im going to buy them now, it doesnt matter that its a different color or year? looks very similar to the one i have on now except the one i have is grey/black
As I said above, my mistake, these are for 3G alternators. EDIT: I just looked on @RockAuto and at least some 92s used an internal regulator like the 3Gs as they show them. Some 92s used external regulators as they show them too. Sorry for the confusion, I'm learning too!

But to answer your question, these white regulators are soft start. That just means instead of going full charge right away, they ramp up slower to help eliminate belt slippage at startup.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My bad @broncofox, I thought 92s already had 3G alternators. Since yours is 2G, a 3G is recommended as I've seen that the 2G connector is not very good and could heat up. Thanks for posting this @pakmule87.

As I said above, my mistake, these are for 3G alternators. EDIT: I just looked on @RockAuto and at least some 92s used an internal regulator like the 3Gs as they show them. Some 92s used external regulators as they show them too. Sorry for the confusion, I'm learning too!

But to answer your question, these white regulators are soft start. That just means instead of going full charge right away, they ramp up slower to help eliminate belt slippage at startup.
AAH !!!!!!! oki
what should i get then? im thinking of just saving up a few bucks and just getting a new reman one that is 80 amps

1 - 20 of 44 Posts