Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Master Bater
7,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i did the research, read all the threads and purchased a rewire kit for my headlights. its a nice wiring kit, and about the same price as i could make one for, but thats not the point of my question.

Its my understanding that rewiring the hedlights is supposed to maintain 14+ volts at the lights? My relay does just that too. BUT, i checked the factory wiring and it is 14+ volts as well. infact, the factory wiring at idle is only about .05 volts less than the nice wire kit i just bought. Just curious how many of you who have reported such great lighting enhancement have actually done any tests before and after?

i checked this on a 94 bronco and a 94 ranger, both of which have fairly dim lights IMO.

Can anyone refute what I am saying? i hope so, otherwise i wasted a lot of time and money. :mad:

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,535 Posts
I belive the rewiring kit is ment for older vehicles. like late 70s and 80s. the 90s era improved on the lighting systems

try getting some silverstars. they are 10times brighter than the factory lights.

thats about all the info I can give

·
Never ending project
1,084 Posts
I thought it was going on a late ford i should have paid more attention to
your post you wont gain much on a newer relay type head light system changing head lights to silver stars will .sorry about that:doh0715:​

·
Never ending project
1,084 Posts
Just an idea im going to use the same system for back up lights you could
also use it for driving lights:thumbup​

·
Master Bater
7,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im sure I can find a thousand uses for it, Im just looking for some fact.

I would argue that silverstars are "brighter" too. The are definately whiter than regular bulbs, but I dont think they emit more watts.

I just always hear/read people saying what a great mod this is, and i want to dispell it if its not true. Over on thedieselstop.com, they rave aout this mod (mines in Oregon with the wife), so i cant verify it or not, but it doesnt make sense to me that it would be any better.

·
Southeast Utah Native
920 Posts
You'd be much better off to either polish your headlight lenses or replace them. The problem with the plastic lenses is that they scratch fairly easily & begin to cloud up after a few years in the elements.

·
gone fish'n
23,563 Posts
i have seen some of the lenses get fogged up like he is saying.

·
Banned
33,450 Posts
You should have checked the voltage at the headlights before buying the kit. :shrug It can benefit any year of truck, but only if there's low voltage at the bulbs.

Ford has publised some articles on polishing headlights, and it's VERY common in CV/GM/TCs for them to fog up.

·
Never ending project
1,084 Posts
Meguiars makes a plexi glass cleaner polish it will take the yellow out of it but its a lot of work by hand if you have a low speed buffer works:thumbup even better​

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,535 Posts
plug ugly said:
I just always hear/read people saying what a great mod this is, and i want to dispell it if its not true. Over on thedieselstop.com, they rave aout this mod (mines in Oregon with the wife), so i cant verify it or not, but it doesnt make sense to me that it would be any better.
what years? even the new ones? I know the older trucks 97 and older had crappy headlights, even more so when the glowplugs were on.

but yeah you cant get much more than 14 volts to those lights. if its doing that stock thats as much as your going to get, installing the harness isnt going to get any better.

now another question is....does this kit wire the highbeams to come on with the low beams when you turn on high beams. stock you know when you use the flash to pass feature both the lows and highs come on but if you flip the highs on you only get the highs and not the lows? I wonder if this could be why its getting such high reviews. Ive wired mine this way and its cool, gives you a little extra light with the highs on

did that make sense at all?

·
Never ending project
1,084 Posts
The problem with high Watt bulbs are thy overload your wires relays switches i had that problem with my 78 i made my own harness with hd relays to handle the high Watt bulbs and alt 14 volts i would not put high Watt bulbs on stock wiring just my experience.:thumbup​
When you do the relay wire mod on a non relay head light system your basically making it into a newer relay system lick yours .If you by after market bulbs like silver stars or piaa by local most stores that sell them guaranty them thy are known to blow out.

·
Master Bater
7,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
this particular kit IS lows on with hi's, but i could have made my own for much less.

steve, you are right, I shoulda, woulda coulda, but didnt. i guess I got caught up in the hype. neverthe less, Im surprised that both my 94's, with different motors/alts/batts, etc could be nearly identical and neither would benefit more than .05 volts. i dont plan on upgrading beyond silverstars at best, which really arent an upgrade based on watts.

John, they are just sylvania silverstars, 9007 model number. Like 40 bucks a pair or something.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
plug ugly said:
Well, i did the research, read all the threads and purchased a rewire kit for my headlights. its a nice wiring kit, and about the same price as i could make one for, but thats not the point of my question.

Its my understanding that rewiring the hedlights is supposed to maintain 14+ volts at the lights? My relay does just that too. BUT, i checked the factory wiring and it is 14+ volts as well. infact, the factory wiring at idle is only about .05 volts less than the nice wire kit i just bought. Just curious how many of you who have reported such great lighting enhancement have actually done any tests before and after?

i checked this on a 94 bronco and a 94 ranger, both of which have fairly dim lights IMO.

Can anyone refute what I am saying? i hope so, otherwise i wasted a lot of time and money. :mad:
Voltage is only one part of the equation. V x I is power for a DC circuit. You might have 14 volts at the original headlight wire with no load. Put two 75 watt bulbs on it and see what the voltage drops to, that is the only true way to tell if the circuit had any resistance to current flow.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
BigWheelz said:
Voltage is only one part of the equation. V x I is power for a DC circuit. You might have 14 volts at the original headlight wire with no load. Put two 75 watt bulbs on it and see what the voltage drops to, that is the only true way to tell if the circuit had any resistance to current flow.
Correct, you can't measure the voltage with the headlights unplugged.
Turn on HI-Beam, and probe the wires, I'll bet it drops.

Ford still uses undersized wires to same money.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
I think that EB had a newer Centech body harness.

Like I said, Ford hasn't done any better. My Mother 97 Sable, Fathers 99 Explorer, Sisters 01 Sable all have tiny 16ga wire for the headlights. There is no way 16ga is going to provide full brightness from a headlight, no matter how new it is.

My headlight harness only fits 1986-older Fords, so I have't had a need to go testing newer cars.
Too many project, never enough time :cry

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
well i got the diagram from a guy that had a 78 and i used it on my 79. i also bought a set of conversion housings with H4 bulbs to replace the old school lamps but i have never installed the bulbs or the harness yet. i would honestly like to rewire the whole trucks system, brake lights to blinkers, and add cornering lights that come on when the blinkers are activated, better backup lights, all that stuff.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts