Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the board, but appreciate any help. I have two 1996 Eddie Bauers -- one green & tan (94K miles), the other red & tan (79K miles). Both 5.8L, leather, etc. I have the same two issues with both:

1. headlight lenses are yellowing (so I purchased replacement headlights). I've searched the forums and cannot find detailed instructions on how to remove the headlights. Help?

2. both Bronco's have the turn signal option in the side mirrors, but both need the drivers side mirror replaced. I'm having a hell of a time finding replacements. Any suggestions? In the meantime, I had my local glass shop cut replacements, but you can't see the turn signal any longer.

Anyway, I hope to learn a lot from the masters here!

Mark

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
Get a haynes manual and it will show you how to remove the headlights. and as far as the mirrors they are rare good luck finding them

·
Registered
118 Posts
its been a while since i've worked on a '96, but i think theres 4 nuts on the back side of the H/L's. i think you'll have to remove the battery to get to the ones on that side. also not a 100% sure but i believe that the grill has to come out.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
to remove the headlights on your 96, i believe that there are three.
i haven't removed mine since i swapped the lights myself but...
you have to remove the grill, the coolant tank for the rad., and you will need a deep socket set to reach the the bolts that hold the light in.
the light itself has posts mounted to it right? that will go into holes in the radiator core support. its not all that complicated, but it was time consuming.
while you are at it, you may want to rewire the headlight wiring, but anyways, after removing the grill and removing the coolant tank you will be in business.
the headlights will not come out on their own, you also have to remove the trim rings that hold the corners and signal lights. but they all come out as one chunk.
i havent had my fiill of coffee yet, so i am still a little hazy, but i am hanging out all day, doing crap on the bko myself, so if you run into a problem, mail me and i could hook you up with some pics.
the haynes manual and chiltons didnt help me very much. i just reverse engineered the bugger from the new lamp.

hope that helps,
merry christman
cheers

Jay

·
Banned
32,511 Posts
calypso750 said:
I've searched the forums and cannot find detailed instructions...
So why is it that when I search for "bronco headlight removal", I find an exploded diagram in the first thread that comes up?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the exploded diagram you put up was of no help in learning how to exchange the headlight. thanks for the help anyway.

mark

·
Lick my balls
13,048 Posts
:histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica I'm reminded of another thread, :histerica :histerica :histerica
1993 5.8 XLT said:
(Steve83) your advice is neither helpful or acurate
Too funny

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I've been looking for those mirrors and they are impossible to find. Your only real hope is fab work, since even if you could find a 96 in a yard it probably would not have the mirrors anyway. Fabbing is your best bet

http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38707&highlight=mirror

Good luck.

As for taking things apart. Just poke around for a while and I'm sure you can figure it out.

·
Banned
32,511 Posts
If an exploded diagram is "no help", then what are you looking for? Someone to come over there & swap the parts for you???

·
Registered
214 Posts
calypso750 said:
the exploded diagram you put up was of no help in learning how to exchange the headlight. thanks for the help anyway.

mark
If that diagram, from the factory manual, didn't help you then I'd suggest hiring it done.

Familiarity with basic hand tools is a must.

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
How can you not look at them damn thing and figure it out. i dont know, if steve didnt help you with your bronco there is no help for you

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
imlikeojnow said:
How can you not look at them damn thing and figure it out. i dont know, if steve didnt help you with your bronco there is no help for you
It's 2 10mm bolts as I recall in the back of each turn signal on the back. It's easier if you remove the washer/overflow bottles drivers side and battery on the passengers side. You might have to take the headlight mounting panel off to get the old headlights out but thats only 10-12 bolts across the core support. The mirrors, wow you own 2 rare 96's with signal mirrors that's sweet you'll never see them again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts