Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just used the 3M headlight kit to put some shine back in my lights and I'm really impressed with the results. I would recommend it to anyone with some cloudy headlights and an hour of free time.

But now I realized that I have two different bulbs in my headlights so I was wondering if anyone has a good recommendation for headlight replacement bulbs? There seems to be a lot on here for 1992+ but nothing for the 87-91 models.

Here's a photo of my regular lights and a photo of my brights. It is pretty easy to see there is a large difference.

As a follow up question does the 1990 Bronco have different bulbs for the brights? I can't find any diagrams on this to know whether or not I need 4 bulbs to do a total new set of front lights. And looking at my photos it seems like the PO mixed up the brights and regular lights.

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Just walk into any parts store and tell them what you need. They'll point out the correct size for you.

Also, the regular and high-beams are a single unit. So you only need two light bulbs. Replace them and then let us know how it looks.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I like the PIAA Night-Tech bulbs. They are a good upgrade over basic Halogen bulbs without getting into the obnoxious bright blue or white lights that irritate others more than they light up the road. They aren't cheap, but they are worth the safety IMHO.
http://www.piaa.com/store/pg/44-night-tech-halogen-bulb.aspx

Edit: just noticed they do not carry the proper bulb to fit your Bronco :banghead Your truck uses a 9004 bulb.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Just get a decent replacement bulb.

You're not gonna get a major improvement in lumens without HID/LED/projectors.

More important the lenses are clean and clear. You have done the outside, but you can also do the inside using a detergent/baking soda/distilled water solution. I have read that even more effective is pure methyl hydrate (methanol).

Just google for how to's on either method.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
You're not gonna get a major improvement in lumens without HID/LED/projectors.
Not true.

In searching for better lighting, I installed an aftermarket HID Conversion Kit and found intense beam scatter that blinded other drivers and no increase in distance vision. This is due to the reflector style of my 4th Generation Bronco headlights. I dumped the HID Kit like a hooker with a lip fungus for a significant loss.

I then installed a RJM Injection Technologies Headlight Harness Kit which takes power directly from the battery, through relays, giving you full power. This creates a shorter wire run which reduces resistance, as opposed to going from the battery to fuse box to switch to headlights. The plug and play kit also upgraded my existing headlight wiring from 18 gauge to 12 gauge wire which carries a full 14.5v as opposed to 12v through the smaller wire. This headlight harness upgrade increased brightness by at least 25% and changed my headlight color from yellowish to bright white with no beam scatter.

I then installed EVO Formance Alfas Maximum Intensity 9004 Intense White Halogen Bulbs which are rated at 5500k and I polished up the headlight lenses. The result was excellent, better than the original headlight brightness when the truck was factory new.

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

Power for the headlights is controlled by a switch on the dash. This is *not* a great place to tap into the system, for two reasons: The headlamp switch uses tiny, high-resistance contacts to complete circuits, and the wire lengths required to run from the battery to the dashboard and all the way out to the headlamps creates excessive resistive voltage drop, especially with the thin wires used in most factory installations.

In many cases, the thin factory wires are inadequate even for the stock headlamp equipment. Headlamp bulb light output is severely compromised with decreased voltage. The drop in light output is not linear, it is exponential with the power 3.4. For example, let's consider a 9006 low beam bulb rated 1000 lumens at 12.8 Volts and plug in different voltages:

10.5V : 510 lumens
11.0V : 597 lumens
11.5V : 695 lumens
12.0V : 803 lumens
12.5V : 923 lumens
12.8V : 1000 lumens ←Rated output voltage
13.0V : 1054 lumens
13.5V : 1198 lumens
14.0V : 1356 lumens ←Rated life voltage
14.5V : 1528 lumens

To me there is a big difference between 1000 and 1528 lumens. My plug-n-play Headlight Harness Kit was from RJM Injection Tech, which unfortunately is no longer in business. I do see a Painless Performance Products 9004 & 9007 Headlight Bulb Conversion Harness available having reasonable 14 gauge wire. This should be OK as the headlamp power circuit should use no less than 14-gauge wire, with 12-gauge being preferable.

Anyway, I venture to say that good headlights are somewhat more than just good bulbs. :thumbup

·
Registered
446 Posts
I agree HID's in a reflector style housing is not a good idea, I hate seeing those on the road!
In a projector style housing (where they whould be), they are impressive.

I still say a good cleaning/polishing of 20+ year old lenses and some quality bulbs would make a noticeable difference in light output.

For me, if I were going to put any more effort than that into it, it would be projectors. JMO

Getting the headlights on a relay and off the switch is definately a good idea, regardless.

Sounds like a solid set up you have.:thumbup

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,665 Posts
HA! :stupid Him and a couple hundred other guys around here, myself included! :histerica

Sure wish Ryan was still around. He made some top quality electrical, for sure.
Seen many try to copy but I don't think anyone else on the market reached his quality and performance.
At least... right up until he started flaking out in the end.
If I knew enough, I'd try to make one myself... rather than trust some of these inferior solutions we have left.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Sylvania SilverStar bulbs are excellent with good color none.of that blueish crap.

I guess I was one of the lucky ones. I placed several large orders with Ryan just weeks before going offline. Everything arrived with no problem. I sure miss him and his superior quality parts.

Lip fungus? Must be talking about my ex-wife.

·
Super Moderator
26,072 Posts
...I then installed a RJM Injection Technologies Headlight Harness Kit which takes power directly from the battery, through relays, giving you full power. This creates a shorter wire run which reduces resistance, as opposed to going from the battery to fuse box to switch to headlights. The plug and play kit also upgraded my existing headlight wiring from 18 gauge to 12 gauge wire which carries a full 14.5v as opposed to 12v through the smaller wire. This headlight harness upgrade increased brightness by at least 25% and changed my headlight color from yellowish to bright white with no beam scatter.

Yo Seattle,
Great Stuff!

btw, Here is Fireguy's Harness from an archived copy;
http://web.archive.org/web/20120819215143/http://www.rjminjectiontech.com/products/headlight-harness
"•New OEM Connectors.
•Large 12G wire.
•High power relays.
•25% brighter by increasing voltage to full 14+volts.
•Stock wiring can be as small as 18G and below 10volts.
•Headlight switch will not over heat or cut off.
•Will easily power 130 watt bulbs or larger.
•Made in America with pride.
•Simple installation, plug-n-play!
The picture says it all. Stock on the left, our harness on the Right:"
see attached pic.

& his installation article
http://web.archive.org/web/20111227041636/http://96.0.50.30/headlight_manual.pdf

I see that Painless Performance Products 30816 Headlight Conversion Harness price is up to $190.99; for example;
9"004 & 9007 Headlight Bulb Conversion Harness For 9004 & 9007 Halogen Bulbs
•Two 40 Amp Weatherproof Relays
•Two Weatherproof Relay Bases with Harness
•Weatherproof 30 Amp Fuse
•Mating Connectors to Factory Headlights and Harness"
INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS @ http://www.jegs.com/i/Painless-Perf...6/10002/-1?parentProductId=748950#moreDetails
==

Jegs sells it for $190.99

---
Jeff's for example sells this kit for $32.00
1992-96 Ford Bronco
1992-96 Ford F150
1992-97 Ford F250, F3
"Upgrade your headlight's wiring harness for maximum light output with a Heavy-Duty head- light harness. If you are adding brighter bulbs or upgrading to high power halogen lights. then you need to improve your wiring to take full advantage of the extra light output.
This Heavy-Duty Harness is complete with separate relays for low and high beams and features OE-style headlight sockets for easy installation with no splicing or cutting required.
This is recommended for use with our headlight part numbers 34804, 34805, 34806, and 34807. "
http://shop.broncograveyard.com/Heavy-Duty-Headlight-Harness-92-97/productinfo/34805C/

Kits for other years @ http://shop.broncograveyard.com/HeadLights/products/634/

and there is a thread in here where someone built similar harness using Ford connectors, Bosch relays, etc. and saved $.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I wished I could find the male headlight plugs like Ryan used.
I would build some similar but use the high temp ceramic headlight sockets.

I know some run 100+ watt Headlamps.

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
Not true.

In searching for better lighting, I installed an aftermarket HID Conversion Kit and found intense beam scatter that blinded other drivers and no increase in distance vision. This is due to the reflector style of my 4th Generation Bronco headlights. I dumped the HID Kit like a hooker with a lip fungus for a significant loss.

I then installed a RJM Injection Technologies Headlight Harness Kit which takes power directly from the battery, through relays, giving you full power. This creates a shorter wire run which reduces resistance, as opposed to going from the battery to fuse box to switch to headlights. The plug and play kit also upgraded my existing headlight wiring from 18 gauge to 12 gauge wire which carries a full 14.5v as opposed to 12v through the smaller wire. This headlight harness upgrade increased brightness by at least 25% and changed my headlight color from yellowish to bright white with no beam scatter.

I then installed EVO Formance Alfas Maximum Intensity 9004 Intense White Halogen Bulbs which are rated at 5500k and I polished up the headlight lenses. The result was excellent, better than the original headlight brightness when the truck was factory new.

To me there is a big difference between 1000 and 1528 lumens. My plug-n-play Headlight Harness Kit was from RJM Injection Tech, which unfortunately is no longer in business. I do see a Painless Performance Products 9004 & 9007 Headlight Bulb Conversion Harness available having reasonable 14 gauge wire. This should be OK as the headlamp power circuit should use no less than 14-gauge wire, with 12-gauge being preferable.

Anyway, I venture to say that good headlights are somewhat more than just good bulbs. :thumbup

Yeah, you sold it to me! lol I do disagree with "no increase in distance vision" part. I could see everything, and I mean everything. But the problem was I knew I was blinding all oncoming traffic and everyone unfortunate enough to be in front of me. I removed it shortly afterwards.

I do value opinions on the quality of JBGY harness and I think LMC sells one also. From what you are saying the RJM one was of significant better quality?

I guess I'll take a look at the link posted for building your own. Hopefully sourcing parts and the actual build isn't too difficult? (thanks miesk5).

Otherwise, is there any other experiences or opinions!

thanks
tim

·
Super Moderator
26,072 Posts
I wished I could find the male headlight plugs like Ryan used.
I would build some similar but use the high temp ceramic headlight sockets.

I know some run 100+ watt Headlamps.
yo HH,
Check out Headlight Pigtail Plugs High Temperature
http://shop.broncograveyard.com/Headlight-Pigtail-Plugs-High-Temperature/productinfo/18053HT/
New
1966-86 Ford Bronco
1973-86 Ford F100, F150, F250, F350
1984-88 Ford Bronco ll
1983-88 Ford Ranger
One pair of high temperature headlight plugs ends with rubber boots.
Fits 9003/H4 high wattage bulbs
Temperature rating 482 F
Constructed of high temperature nylon
Replace OE sockets when installing bulbs exceeding 55/65 watts.
Item Number: 18053HT
Unit Price: $8.00

Also check out http://www.painlessperformance.com/PDFCatalog/
Their pdf catalog is arranged in anythAng in a painless manner! may be same programmer/DBAs that screwed up Jeff's on-line catalog recently..

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I can get the actual high temp female.sockets with terminals. What I want to find.is the actual male plug with terminals. I avoid pigtails unless I can not locate part with terminals. I like to not have any splices. Just one more place for later problems.

I want the male plugs so I.can plug directly into factory harness. Plug and play with exceptions of connecting battery supply and mounting relays.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts