Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Silverstars if you are using your stock housings. You can use HID's in the stock housings like myself, but the spread is not ideal and you take the chance of blinding people if not adjusted correctly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Don't forget to look at your housing

I replaced the housings on my 92 and it made almost as big a difference as adding my Silverstar Bulbs. The yellowing of the lenses dissipated the light too much for any bulb to be really effective. I think I ended up getting a set for a little cheaper, but it has really made it much safer driving at night.

My 92 housings are cheaper than the ones for the 88 so it may be worth shopping around, almost $300 for a new set is steep. You could always remove them and try to clean the inside of the lens as well.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
I want to make my headlights a little brighter, they're too dim. What's the best bulb to get?
See this link, especially Post #5: Headlight Replacement Bulbs?

In searching for better lighting, I installed an aftermarket HID Conversion Kit and found intense beam scatter that blinded other drivers and no increase in distance vision. This is due to the reflector style of my 4th Generation Bronco headlights. I dumped the HID Kit like a hooker with a lip fungus for a significant loss.

I then installed a RJM Injection Technologies Headlight Harness Kit which takes power directly from the battery, through relays, giving you full power. This creates a shorter wire run which reduces resistance, as opposed to going from the battery to fuse box to switch to headlights. The plug and play kit also upgraded my existing headlight wiring from 18 gauge to 12 gauge wire which carries a full 14.5v as opposed to 12v through the smaller wire. This headlight harness upgrade increased brightness by at least 25% and changed my headlight color from yellowish to bright white with no beam scatter.

I then installed EVO Formance Alfas Maximum Intensity 9004 Intense White Halogen Bulbs which are rated at 5500k and I polished up the headlight lenses. The result was excellent, better than the original headlight brightness when the truck was factory new.

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

Power for the headlights is controlled by a switch on the dash. This is *not* a great place to tap into the system, for two reasons: The headlamp switch uses tiny, high-resistance contacts to complete circuits, and the wire lengths required to run from the battery to the dashboard and all the way out to the headlamps creates excessive resistive voltage drop, especially with the thin wires used in most factory installations.

In many cases, the thin factory wires are inadequate even for the stock headlamp equipment. Headlamp bulb light output is severely compromised with decreased voltage. The drop in light output is not linear, it is exponential with the power 3.4. For example, let's consider a 9006 low beam bulb rated 1000 lumens at 12.8 Volts and plug in different voltages:

10.5V : 510 lumens
11.0V : 597 lumens
11.5V : 695 lumens
12.0V : 803 lumens
12.5V : 923 lumens
12.8V : 1000 lumens ←Rated output voltage
13.0V : 1054 lumens
13.5V : 1198 lumens
14.0V : 1356 lumens ←Rated life voltage
14.5V : 1528 lumens

To me there is a big difference between 1000 and 1528 lumens. My plug-n-play Headlight Harness Kit was from RJM Injection Tech, which unfortunately is no longer in business. I do see a Painless Performance Products 9004 & 9007 Headlight Bulb Conversion Harness available having reasonable 14 gauge wire. This should be OK as the headlamp power circuit should use no less than 14-gauge wire, with 12-gauge being preferable.

Anyway, I venture to say that good headlights are somewhat more than just good bulbs. :thumbup

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have a friend with a 95 Eddie and noticed my headlights were clear plastic and said that I could convert them to HID, is this true?

·
Registered
859 Posts
I have a friend with a 95 Eddie and noticed my headlights were clear plastic and said that I could convert them to HID, is this true?

You can, but without a projector lens you will just be scattering light every which way and blinding other people on the road while lighting up your path.

You could also buy a headlight housing with a projector lens, and use HID or even the new hotness, LED bulbs.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Cool, I'll look into that. Not really on my priority list but I do want to upgrade in the near future. I'm seen an f250 with LED tail lights too, pretty nice. Wonder if they were retrofit.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,839 Posts
I believe Amazon has replacement headlights for a reasonable price for the pair and you can get the upgraded wiring harness from JBG cheap.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,628 Posts
just a note... we've got two different years with two very different style lights being discussed here. There are a ton of options to choose from for the 92-96 years. The 87-91, not near as much.

Andrew referenced the two different options with his vendor links but I just want to make sure for the noobs that they pay attention to the years they're working with and the available, different options or lack thereof.

anything SeattleFSB has to say is worth paying close attention too!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts