Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i pulled my 351m out to fix the oil leaks i took my valve covers off to find that there was sludge all over the rockers and valve springs, i tired to clean them by rotating the motor to be upside down on the stand used a wire brush but i was affraid if some of this gunk got down in the piston so i dint get to aggersave wwith it so now that im gonna be pulling it back out and building it a lil stronger with a new crank and cam with springs and the whole deal, i was wondering what would be the best way to clean my heads, should i do it or pay some one to do it and get them polished at the same time, also when i was pulling the manifolds on the left bank one of the bolt hols chipped off and now i cant get my header bolt back in there, so i was wondering if there is any thing i can have done at a machine shop when i take it for the 400 crank, these probbly should have been two diffrent threads but i figured they were close enoulf

·
Registered
351 Posts
Take it to an automotive machine shop. They will be able to hot tank the heads and repair the threads as well. You won't be able to clean inside the heads like their tank will. Also, there are many ways to repair the threads but if you are unsure it is well worth the $10-15 that they will charge you to do it.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
sludge is caused by many things, but the best thing to do is to leave it alone or rebuild the engine. loosening it up can cause it to plug stuff up in the engine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts