Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd let you guys in on this one, in case you aren't already aware.
I put my '89 Bronco for sale in one of the websites, and recently received a response from a guy in South Africa. He asked me if I would be able to ship the vehicle to Africa, and agreed to my asking price, sight unseen.

We took a report at work that started out like this. The "agent" for the "buyer" then sends a cashier's check to the seller for an amount that is $3000.00 to $4000.00 over the asking price, and gives some excuse for why this is. He then asks the seller to deposit the check, and send him back the excess money via Western Union. Several days later, the seller gets a notice from his bank that the check was counterfeit.
The counterfeit cashier's check is drawn on a bank in North Carolina. The Treasury Department is investigating the cases, but prosecution is dismal to impossible since the actors are overseas.

The "agent" for my "buyer" emailed me last week telling me that a cashier's check for $3000 over my asking price is on its way, but that he needs to use the $3000.00 the ship the truck to Africa. He requested that I wire him the money via Western Union upon my receipt of the check, and that he will then pick up the truck at a later date.
Yeah, right. I guess for every ten people they try this with, someone is dumb enough to wire the money. My first thought, upon receiving his first email (before I knew about the scam) was that they would not get the truck or anything else until the check had cleared the bank.
Tell your friends and family.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
this has been going on for a couple years now. IIRC, Pony Boy just went thru something like this. It's some way to allow them to launder money into the US, I believe

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He didn't get burned, did he?

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,644 Posts
there was another thread not too long ago on this started by raisedIIperfection. search and you will find it, it had a lot of info on it

wes

·
College User
2,018 Posts
They do that on a ton of ebay items. Huge variety of items too not just certain things.

·
Original FSB.COM Owner
9,560 Posts
would not get the truck or anything else until the check had cleared the bank.
uh, i hope everyone would be this smart, you know what they say "if it sounds too good to be true..."

·
Repo'd
1,570 Posts
Been there Done that.
Got the fake Cashiers Check to remember it.

WARNING TO ALL!!!!

The Pray on 4WheelPlus.com

They send you the check for more than the price
"For Shipping"
You put it in the bank and send them the
remainded of the money.
Ha
Check comes back and bounces in your face.

Your stuck with the rig your tryin to sell and an
$8000 or more debt.

I learned my leason

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry to hear they got you. :(

Where did they have you wire them the money? Was it overseas?
I'm in touch with a Secret Service Agent working the case. So far, I'm playing along. If they ask me to wire them the money in the U.S., they're screwed. If not, there's not much we can do about it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts