Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have an 88 bronco. 351W. I replaced the heater motor because it was super weak. Put the new one in... not much in provement. But I also read bronco heating systems are weak anyways. Is this true?

·
Registered
837 Posts
I got a 89 f150 and when the engine hits operating temperature you either have to cut the heat down or get out the truck.

Have you replaced the heater core?

·
A broke kid with a bronco
4,065 Posts
If the truck is getting to op temp and you have flow to the core and poor flow though the core it's a clogged core.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I would go ahead a replace the core. Its about $30 and a 30 min fix

·
Registered
130 Posts
or you could look at your core and see if its caked in mud like my buddys was. We hosed it off and he was sweating in no time

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
make sure the vac line isnt broken or cracked the one that operates the heater door.

·
Super Moderator
27,017 Posts
yo,
Insufficient Heat TSB 88-09-10 for 87-88 Bronco & F Series; "...Insufficient heat inside of vehicles equipped with or without air conditioning may be caused by the heater air baffle missing from the plenum chamber. The heater air baffle (temperature Blend Door) prevents cold air from leaking in around the heater core. To correct this, check to see if the heater air baffle is present. If the heater air baffle is not present, install a heater air baffle using the following service procedure. SERVICE PROCEDURE: 1. Remove the heater core access cover to see if the heater air baffle is present. If missing proceed to Step 2. NOTE: IF THE TEMPERATURE BLEND DOOR SHAFT CAN BE SEEN NEXT TO THE HEATER CORE, A HEATER AIR BAFFLE NEEDS TO BE INSTALLED. 2. Remove the heater core. 3. Remove the heater core face gasket. 4. Install the heater air baffle, (E7TZ-18D416-A) by inserting the pin on the bottom of the baffle into the lower surface of the plenum chamber. 5. Reinstall the heater core face gasket. 6. Reinstall the heater core. 7. Apply a bead of Ford Silicone Sealer, (D6AZ-19562-AA) around the heater core access cover. 8. Reinstall the heater core access cover. PART NUMBER & PART NAME: E7TZ-18D416-A Heater Air Baffle D6AZ-19562-AA Ford Clear Silicone Sealer. SUPERSEDES: 88-04-14; OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME: 880910A Inspect only 0.3 Hr.; 880910B Inspect and install heater air baffle 0.6 Hr
Source: by Ford via Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/723836

Poor Heater/Defroster Performance in Engine Coolant Concerns TSB 93-24-08 for 84-94 Bronco, F Series, Aerostar, Econoline & many others; Blend door operation, Check blend door for binding and proper operation; Mode door operation. Check mode door for binding and proper operation. Blower fan operation, Check blower fan for proper operation and control. Heater core plugged, Flush cooling system. Coolant level, Check level in radiator and coolant recovery reservoir. Leakage, Check for leaks using pressure test. Thermostat operation, Check Thermostat. Refer to "Thermostat Diagnosis" procedure.
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/723355

Core Replacement Info Video in an 86
Source: by JKossarides ("The Bronco", Jean) at http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/800287

see my site @ http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=86 for Heater Links
ENGINE COOLING @ http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=26

T stat @ http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=189
Perform the following inspection at approximately 22°C (72°F).

If the problem being investigated is insufficient heat, inspect the water thermostat (8575) for leakage. Hold the water thermostat up to a lighted background. Light leakage around the water thermostat valve (water thermostat at room temperature) is unacceptable and the water thermostat should be replaced. A slight leakage of light at one or two locations on the perimeter of the valve of some water thermostats may be detected. This is considered normal.

Fan Clutch Test
Spin the fan. A light resistance should be felt. If there is no resistance or very high resistance, the minimum and maximum fan speeds must be checked as follows
yada yada...

then to DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING
Symptom Chart Engine Cooling
Engine Does Not Reach Normal Operating Temperature
Damaged water thermostat.
Cooling fan.
GO to Pinpoint Test C.
CHECK FOR FROZEN FAN CLUTCH
Perform fan clutch test as outlined in Component Tests.

CHECK THERMOSTAT OPERATION
Remove water thermostat and check opening temperature as outlined in this section.
Does water thermostat begin to open and become fully open at temperatures in the specifications at the end of this section?

Symptom Chart � Climate Control System
Insufficient, Erratic, or No Heat
Low radiator coolant due to coolant leaks.
CHECK radiator cap pressure. REPLACE if below minimum pressure. FILL to specified coolant level. PRESSURE TEST for engine cooling system and heating system leaks. SERVICE as required.

Engine overheating.
REMOVE bugs, leaves, etc. from radiator and support or A/C condenser core fins. CHECK for:
Operation of engine fan clutchLoose drive beltSticking thermostatIncorrect ignition timingWater pump impeller damageRestricted cooling system
SERVICE as required.

Loose drive belt.
REPLACE drive belt if cracked or worn and ADJUST drive belt tension.

Thermostat.
FEEL heater water hoses. If the heater water hoses are too hot to hold, the thermostat is OK. If the heater water hoses do not get too hot to hold, REPLACE the thermostat. If only one heater water hose gets hot while the other remains cool, a plugged heater water hose or heater core is indicated.
Heater water hoses.
CHECK condition and routing of hoses. GO to Pinpoint Test A.

PINPOINT TEST A: INSUFFICIENT HEAT

A1 CHECK ENGINE COOLANT LEVEL
Allow engine cooling system to fully cool and check radiator coolant level.
Is coolant level low?
Yes No
FILL and BLEED engine cooling system. REFER to Section 03-03. RETEST system. GO to A2.

A2 CHECK HEATER HOSE ROUTING AND CONDITION
Check that heater water hoses are not crossed or routed incorrectly. Refer to Section 12-02 for heater hose routing.
Visually inspect condition of heater water hoses for pinched or collapsed conditions.
Are heater water hoses in good condition and routed properly?
Yes GO to A3.
No REPAIR or REPLACE heater water hoses as necessary. RETEST system.

A3 CHECK COOLANT FLOW THROUGH HEATER CORE
Start vehicle and allow to reach normal operating temperature.
Place temperature control knob in the full warm position.
Grasp inlet and outlet heater water hoses. Both heater water hoses should be warm to the touch due to coolant flowing through them.
Do heater water hoses indicate coolant flow?
Yes GO to A4.
No FLUSH heater core to remove obstructions. RETEST system. If flushing does not correct condition, REPLACE heater core. RETEST system.

A4 TEST THERMOSTAT
Start vehicle and allow to run for 10 minutes.
Feel the heater water hoses and the underside of the upper radiator hose.
Are the heater water hoses and the upper radiator hose cool?
Yes REPLACE thermostat. RETEST system.
No GO to A5.

A5 CHECK TEMPERATURE CONTROL DOOR OPERATION
Rotate temperature control knob from full warm to full cool and check temperature door for operation.
Does temperature door operate correctly?
Yes CHECK for head gasket leaks. REFER to Section 03-00 for information on cylinder heads. REPAIR as necessary. RETEST system.
No CHECK for binding, damaged or disconnected temperature door. REPAIR or REPLACE as necessary. RETEST system.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have similar issues with my heat in my '83. With mine, it's air flow and not the temperature that's the problem, despite the PO having replaced the blower motor. Never thought to look at the fuse. I'll have to give that a try, and then check the flow around the core and through the core itself. Good info, thanks guys.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I would try to flush the heater core. I had this problem with a few other vehicles of mine. Take the two hoses that go to the core off and run a garden hose through both. If you back flush it you should get some nice crap out if it's clogged. Or another thing I've seen on my old jeep when I had it was the tsat stuck open. But that had crappy heat to begin with

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hmmm... "evaporator" sounds like one of those fancy parts to that high-class A/C system I've heard some Broncos have, but sadly mine does not. Probably a good thing: one less thing to break. :doh0715:

·
Registered
232 Posts
In regards to weak heat, even when working properly there's a lot of air to heat up in a Bronco. I put in seat heaters, only a little over a hundred bucks and few hours of time.

They heat up in just a couple of minutes and really make a huge difference while the cabin heats up. By the time I'm 3-4 miles from home I'm turning them from high to low so I don't cook.

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
I sure as hell hope the OP has figured out his heater issue by now, since he last wrote on here 3 years ago.

it was probably a clogged up AC evaporator anyway... not letting any air through.

·
Registered
232 Posts
There's not THAT much. Yours may take longer because it's an XL, so it doesn't have as much body insulation. Does the camper have a headliner? Does the cab? Carpet or plastic floor?

BTW
If you ever get out past Wolfchase, I'd like to check your truck out. :cool: I don't see many XLs.OUCH! :shocked Mine were $42 total for both front seats.
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/985491
Currently $41 OBO:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190747828391
It's an XLT, I'll fix my profile.

I wasn't big on ebay back then and I got the heaters from Amazon. The ebay ones you linked look just like the ones I got from Amazon. I need another set for my BII, thanks!

I get up that way every now and then. There's good Dim Sum place on that side of town :)

·
Registered
217 Posts
There's not THAT much. Yours may take longer because it's an XL, so it doesn't have as much body insulation. Does the camper have a headliner? Does the cab? Carpet or plastic floor?

BTW
If you ever get out past Wolfchase, I'd like to check your truck out. :cool: I don't see many XLs.OUCH! :shocked Mine were $42 total for both front seats.
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/985491
Currently $41 OBO:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190747828391
I have to say I like the idea of this upgrade. Looking at your pics was that under the existing upholstery or aa seat cover. Currently looking at it on my phone so a little unclear.

I have other questions but I'm guessing you have a write up that I'll be searching for later

1 - 20 of 21 Posts