1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Gamble Til We Die
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
FSB warrior
6,118 Posts
do a google search on alts. I found a whole bunch of sites!

·
Registered
197 Posts
94-95 mustang GT with 5.0 alt. swap I just did mine 2 months ago,very very easy and you get rid of that fire hazard stator plug,also 130 amps.

Redd

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
I'm using a 3G ALT like in that eBay auction. Mine has a different case but same internals. I think they are great.
You'll have to re-wire for it, but it isn't that hard. I can sell you a simple harness if you don't want to do it your self.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,797 Posts
hey fireguy if you upgrade to a 130amp alt is there anything else you need to change out like a voltage regulator? what would you charge for that wire harness, the easier the better right!

late

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hey fireguy, how hard is it to convert or is it possible to put the 3G alt. on a 78 with a 400m

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
I can make a harness for about $35-$50. Not sure how hard it would be to mount on a big block. But if anyone can mount it, I can wire it.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
broncofreak2000 said:
Hey fireguy, how hard is it to convert or is it possible to put the 3G alt. on a 78 with a 400m
I think the vans of similar years came with large-case alts. That'd be bolt-on and a better alternator to boot. Next time you're at the junkyard take a closer look at vans.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Are you talking about the 78-79 vans or newer models and would they be as good as the 3g? what would the amps be?

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
Actually the Large case alt is no better than a 3G. And a 3G is more common easier to use.

A 3G can put out 230 AMPs I've seen. 160 is about the max I would recomend. Any higher and it will have heating issues.
I personnaly run a 160AMP 3G, and I have one of the largest electrical systems on this club.

·
Registered
178 Posts
What year vehicle would you suggest getting the 3G alt. from to fit on my 78 400 and what brackets do I us

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
This is my 3G

Any 3G case can be built to high AMP needs. Can't give you any realy help, you'll have to go to the junk yard and search all the mid 90's and newer Ford vehicles. Might want to take your alt off and take a picture of it to compair in the yard.
Custom work doesn't come easy, but the rewards are great

·
Registered
178 Posts
So they have to be modified to make that kind of amps? I thought they had like 130amps stock

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
Not all of them, only like 35% of them were built to 130AMPS
the rest are 90amp.

Mine came off a 94-95 mustang with the premo sound system. Then I had it re-built for more power ;)
What you can do buy one with a warenty take it to an alt shop and have them bench test it. The last one I swaped into a 71Bronco rated 142AMPs on the tester

·
Registered
178 Posts
What about the pulley, will my v-belt pulley work

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
Fireguy50 said:
Actually the Large case alt is no better than a 3G. And a 3G is more common easier to use.
Easier to use, yes.

Everything else, I completely disagree. Large case allows more air flow for better cooling. External fan for better cooling. Larger bearings, never a bad thing. Puts out more amps off idle. Externally regulated for easier trail repairs.

More common, I disagree. Large cases are common in vans, older Lincolns, older FE motors, and came in most Tauruses (been to a junkyard lately? there's more Tauruses than you can shake a stick at).

Large cases are rated at 70A or 100A in stock form. The last sheet I had for a rebuild put out 110A max and put out 80A right off idle.

Look at where the alt produces the power, not just how much MAX it's capable of. If you just look at MAX amps it's like saying a NASCAR motor would be a good daily driver.........sure they put out 500 or 600hp but are they any good in stop'n go driving?

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
ok i have a few links. plus theres a guy named Domanic Irraggi(sp) and he makes alts that are for car audio competitions. someone here used his alt i think. i used a large case 100A sourced from an E350 van from 79-83 i believe. good luck.
yahoo
ZENA
smith ae
fleet
kes
leece-neville

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
Jaxboro said:
Fordman, you could always call a local alternator shop and see what they can do for you.
That's exactly what I did. The alternator shop I use and have extrem confadance in said when built corectly a 3G will always beat a Large case hands down.

Keith is just stuborn like his TTB hatred :goodfinge My 3G puts out more AMPS at idle than his Large Case does max :goodfinge
Hey KL you still keep a spare alt on the roof?

And Idle output has a lot to do with pully size. Most of those low output 3G alts have underdrive pully

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
Fireguy50 said:
Keith is just stuborn like his TTB hatred :goodfinge My 3G puts out more AMPS at idle than his Large Case does max :goodfinge
'Cause you've had it modified. You're comparing apples to oranges.

Sorry, stock to stock the large case is a better unit.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts