Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about how some of the mud/water I'm going through can't be good for the fan/water pump/engine output; having to spin those propeller blades through the water or mud. Plus I don't have a shroud anyways.

I have a Mark VIII fan on my Mustang, and hear GREAT things about those. I also searched here and see people running Taurus fans and whatever else.

What I'm wondering is if the motor on these fans gets wet, is the fan pretty much done for? Or until it dries out? Do they make any sealed-type fans for this type of thing without having to worry about trashing it?

·
Registered
912 Posts
The worst thing is teh blades hitting water. If you can put it on a thremal switch and a on/off in the cab you have the best setup. As for a sealed motor, cant help ya there.

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
I would think all of them have sealed bearings, since they would get wet when it rains or snows.

Mine (out of a caddy) has taken repeated dunkings and no issues so far. They jsut seem to not want to spin when packed full of snow

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
Put the fans on a switch and turn them off when you think they are gonna hit the water.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah that's a good option too, I wasn't sure how you guys had them. I wired up the fan in my 88 Mustang via a relay and switch and just turn it on when I get in the car, so, that is probably the best option until I install a water detection circuit that when submerged will automatically cut power to the fan until the switch is back out of water...hmmm....now to figure the wiring on that one! Haha.

I build this thing when I was a kid called a "Water Detection Alarm" with the Radio Shack 300-in-1 Electronics Project Lab...when the two wires were submerged, it sounded an alarm...that could work on the same principle hooked up to an SCR or Transistor to shut off the circuit...time to break that out!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts