Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I did done broke it
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this at all possible? The ICM is always frying on my Bronco and I have have no clue why. If this would involve tricking the computer I'm all for it. Shes only a mud truck

·
I did done broke it
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump

·
Man of endless projects
9,284 Posts
don't think so. im not 100% sure but I think the dizzy controls when the injectors are fired.

did you put thermal paste on the ICM? try a Motorcraft ICM? you might check the diodes in the wiring harness to make sure there working

·
I did done broke it
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
More or less what I thought....no I've never tried a motorcraft ICM. First one was a cardone that came with the new dizzy and then the warrantied ones they've always given me BWD ones. In the 8 or so months I drove it before the trans blew up I probably replaced it once every 6 weeks. Not too much of rhyme or reason to it. Was always while I was going slow/coasting or coming off a stop. Never on the highway

·
Man of endless projects
9,284 Posts
id check the diodes in the harnesses then to make sure there working. just use a multimeter and see if theres continuity going one way but not the other

not sure what year but I think they eventually moved the diodes into the EEC itself. knowing you, you might want to change the EEC itself to one that does

·
I did done broke it
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been kicking around the idea of just buying a new computer for ages. I just don't know if its worth it (we've all seen pics of the thing by now). The big problem with this is I'll never really know if its fixed. A few times I thought I had it sorted. And then it fried again. Where are these diodes if they're still on the harness? I'll take a peek the next time I'm out by my cousins. I'd assume they're fine though because I could go start it now if I wanted to.

·
Man of endless projects
9,284 Posts
actually im not sure if your would have them or not as I know they were on the early EFI. I keep thinking u have a 87 not a 89 some reason. I dont recall seeing the diode on my 90 F250 and when I just looked in the Electrical Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual for it, I didn't see them. on a 87 I was working on, it defiantly had them. when I google it ive seen people with 88 have them too. I know theres one for the IAC. not sure what else used it but I think theres like 3.

itll start fine if there bad. it just gets feedback that can come back and cause damage. I think the coil is to blame for the qfeedback. I know that theres diodes for the E4OD tranny that eventually got moved in the ECM after a certain year and using a newer tranny in an older truck will eventually fry something

·
I did done broke it
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I had an 87 it'd be carbed. Like I said....where are they if they aren't in the ecm? If they're not expensive I wouldn't be against just replacing them anyways

·
Man of endless projects
9,284 Posts
ok I looked at the one for the 87 I worked on.

theres one going to the IAC (which I had to rewire)

theres a big one by the coil

theres one for the A/C clutch

there might be more but these were the main 3 I saw. problem is these I don't think are sold anywhere. don't even think Ford dealership has them. just gotta find out the rating and wire one in. but if your lucky your truck wont use them externally

·
I did done broke it
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have definitely never seen those. They pretty much just look like a block with wires coming out of them?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts